Fuquay Varina, NC
Higher Ground Share
Uploaded By: Olorin Hole #3
-- / 172ft.   -- / --   -- / 244ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Black 3 (Red 9)

A unique course that requires a guide

1    2/15/2012   2/20/2012
Review By: Kent18
Pros: *Great peice of property with elevation and a huge pond and creek that comes into play.
*I enjoyed the home grown course flavor with the statues and course artifacts. The baskets are homemade and are in fun locations. Some unique bridges as well
*Three different layouts; red-recreation, black-intermediate and the original layout, blue-advanced.
*Lots of shots where water is a real danger (also listed as a con)
Cons: *The number one issue for me is course navigation. I was blessed to play with a real vetran from this area who knew the course well but still had trouble navigating.
*Course maps that are provided are confusing, because most holes have multiple tee pads and many holes circle back and play to the same baskets, so its easy to get turned around.
*No course signs or even next tee signs. There are "statues" for most (but not all) teepads but you still need to then figure out what basket.
*Throwing over water or right next to it on like 8 holes. Bring extra discs.
Other Thoughts: Higher ground is overall a great play once you figure out how to navigate it. The baskets from far away look really scary but suprisingly they catch well. (we only had 1 spitout) I would not recommend somone playing this course without someone who knows it well. We gladly left $5 each in the donation mailbox behind the house to show our respect for the owner who was real friendly and appreciates a phone call before anyone comes to play. All water shots are risky but if you have talent you can park them safely. Course is very fair.

A Unique Experience

1    4/5/2011   4/5/2011
Review By: aggreen
This review was updated on 4/27/2011
Pros: The course makes very good use of the amount of land it is on. It is very visually appealing, especially along the back of the lake, with a creek running along the back of the property - wind chimes add to the tranquil experience.
It is a private course, so has the touches that one would expect - many statues, unique bridges and overall character to the course.
The owner was very friendly, informative and hospitable.
Cons: We had some navigation issues while on the course, so any signage would help - especially just next tee signs.
Not much variance in types of tee shots - it seemed to be very RHBH friendly. The wooden benches and bridge(s) could use some repair/replacement.
The course is located in a flood plain - so drainage after rain is slow and standing water will be present if there was any recent precipitation.
There are Canadian geese that inhabit the lake - so there are many goose droppings - while it cannot be avoided, it still not a pro.
Other Thoughts: This is a homegrown course through and through - character, baskets, etc. - it is a great change in flavor (and a compliment) to many courses in the area.
While I didn't find much difference in the holes - the #9 Red "peninsula" hole really stood out as a signature hole.
I would roughly estimate that half of the baskets are homemade (racing tires, water barrels) - while you are not going to hear that lovely chain sound on most, they caught incredibly better than they looked.
If you do not like throwing near/over water, then you would not enjoy this course - many holes parallel the lake or creek. Be careful on red #11, there is a floating bridge to get to the tee - we found it fun, but be aware.
Some teepads, mostly pavers identify the tee area - although no issues with the natural teepads.
An initial look at the map can be a little confusing, but once on the course - it is manageable.
While there was some drama in the past around ratings of this course, do not let that deter you from giving it a try.

not too impressed

1    4/17/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: dmbill
Pros: Beautiful course that goes through woods and around a pond
Map on scorecard
Cons: Pretty hard to navigate no signs poorly marked teepads the provided map looks like it was drawn via etc a sketch
Other Thoughts: I appreciate the course for what it is but it is the worst of all of the private courses I have seen

Loven this course!

1    2/13/2009   2/14/2009
Review By: JimmyS
Pros: The course owner was very friendly on the phone and helped with some directions in getting there. Once we arrived, he was cool enough to come out and give us a run down of the layout along with a scorecard with a great map. (You can print a scorecard and map from this website if you want to come prepared, they are under Links/Files.)

The front nine on the red course starts at the house heads towards the woods, it was an excellent warm up before we reached the water holes. Once around the water, there are some beautiful shots for sure. Number nine (red) looks to be a signature hole, and is one of my favorites for sure. I can only see it getting harder as the trees begin to fill in during the spring. Next time I will bring some "water discs" for a couple of brave ace runs. After getting away from the water, there are a couple of nice field type shots with the water as a backdrop. Each hole we played was very unique and had different challenges.

I was able to play most of the blue (harder) course before the sun went down and enjoyed it just as much. It takes a different direction on some of the holes and adds some new twists for sure, especially around the water.

We found the tee boxes easy to locate. Most were marked with a bench or chair, and even the occasional concrete animal! Many of the tees had wind chimes which was a very nice touch, good way to calm your soul if you missed that birdie putt the hole before.

The baskets ranged from traditional mach 3 style baskets, to the more unique homemade designs. The homemades shot great, and added a touch of style to a few of the holes (loved the hanging baskets around the water - beautiful)

I cant wait to see this course closer to spring / summer, and look forward to taking some great pictures. I will try to add some to this site as they come in.

Cons: The trees hadn't bloomed yet, and the sun went down too fast!
Other Thoughts: I play all the courses in the surrounding area, and have been looking forward to getting some exposure to some of the homegrown courses. I feel this course is a fine example of how much fun a private course can be, and it really takes you back the basics of the game - fun, beauty, and a great challenge! A great place to sharpen your skills for sure.

I hope others will come out and enjoy, but please be respectful so that this course remains accessible. Make sure and contact the owner before coming out, and take care of the land. Hats off to the owner for providing an excellent place to play, and I look forward to many more rounds and tournaments here in the near future!

I like it

5+    8/16/2008   8/18/2008
Review By: Red Eye Gravy
Pros: private course ...There's some good water holes...short but tight holes so you have to throw your line...summer time .not a better looking course around. biggest pro for me 3 different setups to play
Cons: Canada Goose like to make there home at the water ..ants and bitting flies..easy to throw off your line and splash..
Other Thoughts: home made baskets..i like them...for a course at someone home its not to bad..
better than most .

Not a fan...

2-4    9/23/2007   7/26/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/20/2008
Pros: This is a private course and it's layed out a bit differently than most disc golf courses that we play. It has multiple set ups, not really multiple tee pads. By that I mean that you can play the course in 3 different ways (different directions from different tee positions). It's kind of like playing safari golf.

The land for the main portion of the course is beautiful. It's also well kept and clean. You do not see litter of any kind. There is a little bit of topography, a pond in the middle and a creek that comes in to play as well. The holes around the pond and creek were the highlight for me. They're tough but fair.

There are score cards in the donation box that have maps on them for all 3 course layouts.
Cons: I'm not really a disc golf "purist" so there are a few things that I didn't like about this course. They're nit picky things and most are just because of the financial and space restraints due to the course being funded and located on someones land but I'll put them in here anyway.

Most of the baskets are home made. There are a few standard disc golf baskets on the course. The others are a solid home made design and there is one hanging basket. I don't really like hanging baskets and other types of non standard setups. I prefer the clean look of the standard disc golf pole hole which is why I put these things in the cons section.

The course is private so it does not have poured concrete tee pads. There are different types of concrete tee pads including those precast concrete grates that they use for the short tees at Cedar Hills. I personally don't like them because my foot occasionally gets stuck in the open slats. The locals are used to them and don't have any problems. There are also no tee signs but the pads do have indications on them and there is a map on the scorecard.

Due to a the space restrictions there a couple holes around the house. They're unaviodable but it's just a bummer that they have to be up there.

My biggest dislike if the course is that there are crossing and shared fairways. There is also a shared basket in the setups that I played the course in. I consider these features and safety hazard. This is not a concern if you are playing by yourself or with just a couple others out on the course but I feel it is a concern during tournaments. The other thing I noticed was that during the tournament there was a significant backup due to the shared basket.
Other Thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of this course but there are a lot of people in the area who love it. It's a private course so you have to pay a small fee to play. The owner requires that you contact him and get permission to play the course before you go out there. Be sure you do that or you are tresspassing on private land. If you're in the area you should play it at least once. The disc golf purist will probably really like this course but if you enjoy a more structured approach (like Buckhorn) then it might not be for you.

A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. My reviews are based on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. These are just my opinions and they should be taken with a grain of salt. Play the course, make your own decisions, and then post them here for everyone to see.