Holly, MI
Holly Woods DGC Share
Uploaded By: DirtyMittenDG Hole #23 (Taken 5/2008)

play no games

5+    9/20/2010   4/19/2011
Review By: intimadator
Pros: ive played this course more then 100 times no joke-this course rocks it is a new challange every time, well the first nine holes are good try to stay out of the swamp on ur right of number 9 on the 18 hole route, after that hole 10 has crazy picker bushes on the left side if u go right u will be fine and have a reasonable shot at the pin- the back 6 in thwoods if ur playing 26 holes suck try to throw long and consistant or u will gain strokes other then that the course is beautiful haveent found a course like it yet, it challanged me fo sho!
Cons: new players dont try the back 6 of the 26 holes u will lose a disc no doubt but u might find one, be carefull on hole 6 people might want to get down... and dont park off dixie hwy your car will get towed the state po's suck and on hole 7 dont try to go over the huge bushes on the left unless u can throw pretty hard or u will gain a few strokes! oh and if u see a group of old timers playing let them play threw they are the shit!
Other Thoughts: have fun i did...

Serious.

1    11/21/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: deezler
Pros: Whoa. This is quite a course. Not too many open holes... at all. Take your birdies where you can on the short and open holes, because some of the longer ones will surely tack a couple points to your score. Not to mention the nearly guaranteed tree contact you will be making at some point, and subsequent likelihood that your disc will carom in a random direction.

The course starts from a cool vantage point on a bluff up high above a lake. In general this course is situated on a beautiful piece of dedicated land. I always love a disc golf course with its own dedicated parking lot and starting area... no random families getting lost on the course here. While many of the early holes are pretty wide open and short, they generally have enough features to keep them interesting. Some are downright pretty and very fun to throw.

But what might have been a somewhat ordinary 18 hole course really tests your limits with inclusion of the newer back 6 holes. These back 6 undulate up, down and over some serious hills, with some tee and approach shots across deep ravines and valleys. In addition to the extreme elevation changes, there is a thick grid of trees to contend with, though the fairways are pretty well defined. And oh yeah, four of them span distances of 544', 486', 454' and 424'... back to back. Phew! Very hard not to rack up a few 4s and 5s through the lot of them. But the scenic beauty and epic-hole factor are high here, with 3 holes playing around a large marshy pond. I got worked over pretty good by a couple of them, and loved every minute of it.

In general the course is in great shape. Great baskets, sucked up lots of long putts.
Cons: Course starts pretty dull with 3 wide open ~300' holes. Perhaps in a couple years the designers can take a look at some simple course flow and hole revisions to sharpen it up a little bit.

Stupid kids have destroyed several of the signs and benches.... why, people. Learn to respect things or stay home.

Yes, there are some stumps and ankle twisters on this course, but no more than any other recently added forest holes in Michigan, that's just how it goes. Keep your eyes on the ground and wear sturdy footwear just in case! Also, the rough has plenty of thorns. Typical stuff.

Several of the tee pads are too small, but the dirt is hard and level around most of them, so you can still play comfortably.
Other Thoughts: After playing all 26 holes (including the # 8 and 9 alternates that head back to the parking lot, just for fun), my buddy and I still had some daylight to work with. We jogged back over to hole 8 to play the final 17 again. I was pretty beat by the time we were emerging back out of the deep 6! This course is not a casual play, and that's a great thing, in my book. Our day of play was very cloudy but also warm and pretty calm, unusually nice for late November in Michigan. And yet, there were only 4 other cars in the parking lot the whole time.

While my 2010 disc golf season may be over now until the grasses emerge in April, I am already looking forward to returning to this course. It was a blast. The hour drive from Ann Arbor seemed a little further than I'm used to for disc golf, but it was so worth it.

Top Notch Course

5+    9/21/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: sbrody44
Pros: -Nice Tee Pads. They even started putting tee pads on the back 6 so i can't even put that in the cons section.
-Nice Layout. Opportunities for a wide variety of shots. Be sure to bring your brain, because you will need to use some real skill at many different occasions.
-Great Location. The park itself is huge and has tons of different things to do. Trails, great fishing, etc. You can play a round, head out to the beach for a picnic, and then go right back a play another round!
-FREE!!! Other than the park fee of $6 daily. I would suggest the $24 annual pass. Its good in every Michigan State Park.
-Good People. I have never ran into anyone causing problems out there. Nothing but good people. Call backs on discs!
-Great terrain for a workout. The course has open fields and meanders through woods. Also has a good number of hills. I suggest a good sturdy pair of shoes.
-Information. The scorecards have instructions for the newbies. The course also has a Bulletin Board with proper etiquette for the game posted as well as upcoming events and information.
-Baskets. Chainstars are where its at!
Cons: -Stumps. Stumps everywhere. Watch your step. They like to hide from you.
-Trees. There are a ton of trees. Some unnecessary and some just aggravating.
-Signs. The course has signs at most of the holes, but only with information about the wildlife you may see throughout the course. It would be nice to have new signs with the hole layout as well as the nature info.
-Upkeep. I can say they have been doing better with maintaining the course, however there are some spots that need to be maintained a little better.
Other Thoughts: All in all, a great course. I would highly recommend making a trip if you've never been. This course has a great landscape and a good atmosphere. A great new challenge for beginners.

1    7/25/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: mcphatty
Pros: -Challenging layout, lots of elevation changes and shots requiring good accuracy
-Not too busy
-Course is relatively well maintained. There was a "course cleanup crew" present while we were playing
Cons: -Short tee pads, sone holes have no pads at all
-Lots of hill climbing
Other Thoughts: Lots of hard shots followed by a couple redeeming holes. Relatively forgiving course, finished at par on my first game at the course. Accuracy is a must, there are a lot of heavily wooded shots.

Solid Course

5+    7/25/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: Ymeister19
Pros: Challenging lay out, good use of terrain, a nice mix of shots that favor both forehand and backhand play. Easy to navigate and easy to rest occasionally as there are picnic tables and trash cans frequently.
Cons: There are a ton of stumps and stones protruding from the ground trip hazards a plenty on the back half of the course. One of the latter holes has a very steep hill to contend with. There used to be a tow rope to help you get down but no longer. I don't mind rugged terrain but for elderly players navigating that hole may pose problems. Only other problem is cement tees are very short and often muddy or dirty with bad footing.
Other Thoughts: Wear shoes with good traction for this course as this will help with the terrain as well as skid prevention on the cement tees. Make sure to bring something to drink as the course is long and difficult if you play the full 24. The first 8 holes are big arm friendly especially for Forehand throwers, where 9-18 are all about control and being able to throw both forehand and backhand. 19-24 are wooded holes that are very drivable in 1 shot if you can thread the wooded fairways.

Very tough for a beginner

5+    9/30/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: kw83028
This review was updated on 9/30/2010
Pros: **UPDATE** I'm a little less of a beginner now and I'm getting better at this place! They have framework for concrete tees laid out on the back where there were only dirt tees!! This will be a huge plus once these get poured!.** Well, I'm a beginner and this was very tough for me, but really fun. I lost my new Champion Eagle on hole 1 today....so that wasn't fun...But, it seems to be a very nice course. Well laid out. Great upkeep. Tables and trashcans are good. Scorecards at the beginning.
Cons: Lots of stumps and roots when walking through the woods. I tripped 7 or 8 times. A Lot of trees that seem to be unnecessary, but I guess adds to the challenge.
Other Thoughts: Well put together, very tough for a beginner. I'm getting better. Put up my best score yet of 100 even. Still a ton of tough shots that I'm not good at yet though.

played today

2-4    7/22/2010   7/22/2010
Review By: Keith_
Pros: Planned out nicely, very nice walk in the woods, holly's hidden gem.Reminds me of Kensington about 10 years ago,in regards to I think I heard someone else on the course not one hundred percent.
Cons: pro tees needed, closer pro shop

Good Grief

1    6/15/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: first of all, the land it's on. this park is massive. i'm not sure if i was even in the same state as i was when i entered in, but holy...

course is very challenging and daunting at times. you really have to bring your best when playing here. cement tees on the original 18, and well groomed (as to be expected). picnic benches to chill and trash cans to keep it clean. very aesthetically pleasing. cute signs about wildlife on the tee posts. heh.
Cons: stumps in the ground
stumps in the ground
lookin like a fool trippin on the stumps in the ground

no really. i stubbed my toe so much, it was bleeding through my sock by the end of the round. like, what the hell? it's a frakken minefield trying to walk along the "fairway". i played with two others, and we all tripped at least once, some of us more than six times. this may seem like BS to some of you, but my god it was bad. TOES!! BLOODY TOES!!

the signs just tell you hole # and distance. could've used a diagram, as there are several blind holes on this course. spotters recommended on about half. would rather have that information than info about rabbits and bluebirds and shit.

only one set of tee pads. i thought for sure by the looks of this course there would be pros and ams.

no cement tees on the bonus holes (12-17) also, just the bonus holes in general. ah, can't say their a con, because they're awesome. i'll put more in "other thoughts."
Other Thoughts: well, here we are at "other thoughts." let me say this. the first time you play here, just play the straight 18. play the bonus holes next time. they are long, they are tough, and they are damn near impossible to par. even if you can stomach the length, the amount of trees and brush and hills and ravines will test your ability to invent new swear words. if you plan on playing all 24, do your best on the first leg, and save your best for these six behemoths.

overall the original 18 are about as tough as rolling hills, though not as rewarding. the bonus holes are some of the toughest i've ever played through, but i would play through again.

Good course needs work

1    5/30/2010   5/30/2010
Review By: nutzilla313
Pros: lot of different shots needed
very challenging
no traffic
good baskets
private
putt practice basket
good looking course
Cons: teepads need to be longer and some are missing them
paying to play
maintence (tree trimming)
fairways
bugs (expected)
signs
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played it you should go out and play this course its definitely worth it. I drove 30 minutes and it was worth experiencing it. Most holes distance isn't a problem esp. if you don't play the extra 6, don't go to far off the fairway on any hole because you can lose your disc in deep brush at every hole. I wouldn't recommend for beginners I consider myself pretty good and I shot + 5 (playing every hole at par 3) .

The biggest problems with this course are the extra six. Most of them are near impossible to get through the paths. Getting a par (3) on any of the extras is great and a birdie (2) is near impossible even if you were the best player in the world. I mean I love a challenge but at least give me a chance to get through the trees. The holes are scenic though (extra 6) but they need extreme polishing.

The next problem I have is the trees, I understand that trees are a part of disc golf and I accept that. Some of the holes give you a 5 % chance of getting through without hitting a tree. If you had a remote controlled disc it would be hard not to hit a tree on that course.

Overall I would say a good course and recommend it. Watch all your shots very careful and have your friends watch your shot to, even if its a good shot its hard to find sometimes. If this course was trimmed better and around a 100 trees were cut down to make paths I would give it 4 stars.

Threading The Needle

1    4/29/2010   4/29/2010
Review By: InTheGroove
Pros: This was my first time playing this course, and was very impressed with the variety and difficulty of some of the holes. I chose the "b" route which took me through the new 6 to complete 24 holes. Beautiful layout and scenery. Very well marked, never a question where the next tee was. It was actually a busy day on the course, several groups present. Fortunately, a couple groups let me play through.
Cons: I can see where insects would be a problem as the summer season approaches. This early spring day was fine.
Other Thoughts: The holes vary quite a bit, some offering dog-legs to the left, some to the right, and some snaking in both directions. You must have a good handle on disc control and placement, otherwise this course could frustrate you. Fortunately for me, my game was on this day!