Greenville, SC
Holmes Park Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #9 (Taken 7/2011)

1 2 Next >
 A Nice 9 Holer

1    9/5/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Nice park in a nice neighborhood with a cute little 9 hole disc golf course in it.
- They had some engraved tee-signs (must be new... the dirt looked freshly dug)... and the course had a nice flow. Without a map... this course was easy to follow.
- A few good holes... 3, 4, 7. The others were average. And a few holes guarded by OB.
- Great use of the minimal elevation available... 6 holes had some vertical elevation component.
Cons:
- Tee-sign Placement!!! The tee-signs were placed on the back right corner of the tee-pad. The perfect spot to start your run-up from if you're right handed. Whoever did this clearly never played DG before. They need to be moved. Especially since the tee's are short.
- Hole 5's basket is pretty close to a play area and a tennis court. Could be a little dangerous.
- This 9 holer is better than the other 9 holer in town (Gower). It's a much nicer park, with nicer shots. Although, there is no "privacy" at this course.
- There are 3 other courses within 10 miles, making this area a road trip destination.
- GPS directions: The houses address across the street from the parking lot is: 104 Holmes Dr. Greenville 29601.
My Score: -2

Holmes

5+    1/3/2001   8/27/2009
Review By: robbiepitzer
Pros: A very nice and well maintained 9 hole course. Its a little short but once you play it two or three times, you get to like it more.
Cons: 9 holes and not 18 is the only thing bad that i can say about Holmes
Other Thoughts: Be carefull and watch out for children playing on the playground that lies in the middle of the park

Slightly Hilly Rec/Beginner Course!

1    7/19/2009   7/27/2009
Pros: This is a nice little 9 hole course set in a typical city park. The course is a little too long to be considered a pitch and putt so I call it a beginner or recreational course. There is some rolling, hilly terrain to play with. The pads and baskets are fine for this course. No next tee signs but they're really not needed. Easily my favorite hole was # 7. It's a 195 ft. downhill throw with a slight anhyser needed for RHBH throwers. The downhill fairway follows a natural tunnel to the basket. The course just has a nice flow and feel to it. ACE ops abound here.
Cons: # 2 was missing the tee sign. # 5 is kinda hard to find, it's over beyond the tennis courts. There's no where to really air it out here.
Other Thoughts: Another "What you see is what you get course." It's great if you live close, want to introduce some new folks to our sport or just want to practice your short game. Or maybe throw for that elusive ACE.

C- = below average for a 9-holer

1    7/11/2005   5/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Nice Fast Course

5+    3/8/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: bethehole
Pros: When I review a course I really try to be objective and honest. This course is typical of a city park that has made use of available space. There are opportunities to play hyzers, anhyzers, sidearm, you name it! Most holes are midrange and many can be played with a putter. The course is clean and the locals I have played with are friendly.
Cons: I wish this course was longer. Many holes can be played with a putter. The rec dept has recently upgraded the sidewalks and I met a local who isreplacing or has replaced the signs with new wooden signs but I haven't been back in a few weeks.
Other Thoughts: This course is only 4 minutes from my house so I see a lot of it. It is a step up from Holmes but not as challanging as Timmons or Century park.

good for newbies

1    11/24/2008   11/24/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Good design and plays fast. Good for learning on, practicing upshots and midrange drives. One long uphill hole. Easy to follow, good tees. Clean well maintained and nice area. Some hills.
Cons: #5 is hidden behind tennis courts, not where you'd look for it and a sidearm may come in too fast and towards a playground- possible safety issue. Provides no challenger for experienced golfers. A few signs missing.

1 2 Next >