Mequon, WI
Homestead High School Share

Mediocre school course

1    3/13/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays around the athletic fields of a high school. A couple really small elevation changes come into play, but overall the course is flat. Fences and other athletic equipment make for some interesting obstacles, and trees come into play on a few holes. There are some shorter and longer holes offering some variety, and hole 3 offers a small dogleg at the end of the hole. The grounds are in nice shape, with no trash or vandalism around.
Cons: The course is too long for beginners. A school course is a great place for new players to try out the sport, but this much length can be pretty discouraging, especially when you might also have to walk a long way to retrieve errant shots from fenced in athletic fields. The tees are natural and poorly marked. The baskets aren't great, though they're fine for a school course like this.

There is no signage, so it's a little unclear at times where to go next, especially with a missing basket. The course isn't playable when other sports are going on, which could make it unusable for PE classes, and obviously unplayable during after school sporting events.
Other Thoughts: I always love to see school courses, it's a great way to introduce kids and the community to the sport. Unfortunately this isn't a great course for this demographic, with safety issues, and too much length. More experienced players will like a couple of the holes, otherwise it's pretty straightforward with no interesting challenges.

Dismal, one somewhat neat hole, but also a missing basket

1    10/25/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: superberry
Pros: About all I can say for pros is the feel or concept of hole #1. That is, if you can find the tee brick by the tennis courts. The hole has you throwing over and along most of the length of a wetland style drainage ditch. It does fall short though because although the ditch makes up the entire left side of the fairway (once you cross it), the entire right side is a practice football field.
Cons: No tees of any sort. Just a paver in the ground that is VERY difficult to find. Only the hole number is written on it, no hole depiction, distance, or par.
Single layer chains on old rusty Discatchers. Basket #5 is gone, and #7 is all busted up and essentially has no lower pole.
The holes all play along practice fields, in the middle of a shotput area, and #9 green is actually inside the fence of the main football stadium.
Very little shot selection required. Throw left hand or right hand on every hole. Not a single real obstacled designed into the holes (other than avoiding the fields)
#3 is long and hidden and requires a 300'+ walk to even see the basket where you should be throwing.
#9 ends nowhere near #1.
Other Thoughts: Poor course. No design, thought, or skill required for virtually every hole.
Couple the poor design, crappy baskets, no tee signs, and one busted basket, with the fact that one basket is missing, you couldn't play this if any school activites were on the fields, and there is absolutely no challenge or beauty on this course, and after all my ranting, you'll have a BAD course!
It must just be in place for the kids to come out and play for gym class. We know HS gym classes aren't much into pushing the envelope with good design, scenic beauty, or challenging the kids.

1    7/31/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: ACE_Holes4Life
Pros: Its still disc golf. Hole 9 is hilarious
Cons: no tee pads, no signs, difficult to follow at times, quite long / open, nearly all hoes border high use athletic fields
Other Thoughts: Play it once for the record, then never again.

My High School

2-4    4/4/2002   1/22/2010
Review By: ThomasOrion
Pros: I actual know the guy who designed it. We went to school together and we lived together in college for 2 years. He designed it when he was a freshman or sophmore in high school, so be easy on judging. Plus given the fields and obstacles it was alright. Last time I played it I was still in HS, now I just graduated college.
Cons: Small course, not really a DG course, more of a gym class activity and if you live in the neighborhood surrounding.
Other Thoughts: good ol Homestead, GO Highlanders!

One of the worst school courses I have played

1    9/27/2009   9/27/2009
Pros: 1) Course will challeneg even the beginner because many of the holes are much longer than a beginner school course should be.

2) I do like that a high school has a course. I think that is the way to encourage young people to play the sport and that is the future of making the sport mainstream! I just hope how poorly this is designed and laid out that it doesnt discourage people from playing the sport.

3) Course does have a cool first hole with the wetland as a forced carry.

Cons: 1) Course is too long and has too many obstacls that will actully discourage beginners. Practice fields to avoid, nets that stop balls from leaving the field, fences, scoreboard, buildings. TOo many things that I think make this course really bad and will possibly lead to discouraging people from playing the sport.

2) Tees are difficult to find only marked by a concrete block on the ground (the first 4 have blue paint witht he hole # on them but the rest do not.

3) No signs directing you where to go to the next tee. SOme you might think ahhhh they wouldnt put a tee here but there it is.

4) Grass tees are in good shape for grass tees but I always view them as a negative. #1 is even positioned on a large sideslope making a runup difficult and dangerous for your ankles.

5) No garbage or benches, but there are portopotties supplied for the sporting arenas after hole #9.
Other Thoughts: This is just another poorly designed gym class course. There are obstacles on every hole you would not have on a normal course. Nets, fences, scoreboards, soccer field, football field, a running track, shotput area . . . . that really make this a bad course. It looks like they have some land they could use to make some better holes and help avoid some of those stupid obstacles and lamely laid out holes. I would love to see some sort of redesign using those woods to the north of #3. They already have a cross country or nature trail going through there, they could easily add some in there. I also would like to see them fix the basket that is in bad shape and maybe sand and paint the yellow band on the discatchers that are rusting pretty badly. It looks sortof abandoned because of the gravel and stone piles around #3 basket, #2 basket being broken and multiple baskets being rusty and dingy. SInce all the baskets are in mowed areas anyways it isn't costing them anything to keep it in the ground, maybe someone should contact the school and see if they want to sell the baskets or possibly redesign te course around the property better. Perhaps it was in the ground before all of those fields were in place?

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    6/3/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == D

Interesting...

1    4/1/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: Skankin77
Pros: It has actual baskets, not home made or anything.
Cons: -Extremely hard to follow. Couldn't even find the first tee spot so I sort of made my own.
-No signs

Other Thoughts: Made it to the second hole and got lost on the way to three. Gave up and went back to my home course Tendick. I give Homestead High a 2.0 simply because I think it's great the high school has a set up for discing. They just need to improve it.

Don't bother.

7/1/2008   7/9/2008
Review By: Iceman
Pros: The course has baskets and um grass. Nobody else is going to be playing here, unless possibly a gym class is forced to play by their gym teacher. Otherwise you'll have the whole place to yourself. Might be a good spot if you want a quiet basket for putting practice.
Cons: Plain and simple folks. This is just another poorly made school course. All nine holes are just wide open field on each shot. I have no idea where I was supposed to tee off so I just made something up on each hole. The poor kids that are taught disc golf on this course are probably going to grow to hate the sport. Sorry kids.