Mequon, WI
Homestead High School Share

Mediocre school course

1    3/13/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays around the athletic fields of a high school. A couple really small elevation changes come into play, but overall the course is flat. Fences and other athletic equipment make for some interesting obstacles, and trees come into play on a few holes. There are some shorter and longer holes offering some variety, and hole 3 offers a small dogleg at the end of the hole. The grounds are in nice shape, with no trash or vandalism around.
Cons: The course is too long for beginners. A school course is a great place for new players to try out the sport, but this much length can be pretty discouraging, especially when you might also have to walk a long way to retrieve errant shots from fenced in athletic fields. The tees are natural and poorly marked. The baskets aren't great, though they're fine for a school course like this.

There is no signage, so it's a little unclear at times where to go next, especially with a missing basket. The course isn't playable when other sports are going on, which could make it unusable for PE classes, and obviously unplayable during after school sporting events.
Other Thoughts: I always love to see school courses, it's a great way to introduce kids and the community to the sport. Unfortunately this isn't a great course for this demographic, with safety issues, and too much length. More experienced players will like a couple of the holes, otherwise it's pretty straightforward with no interesting challenges.

Dismal, one somewhat neat hole, but also a missing basket

1    10/25/2010   10/27/2010
Review By: superberry
Pros: About all I can say for pros is the feel or concept of hole #1. That is, if you can find the tee brick by the tennis courts. The hole has you throwing over and along most of the length of a wetland style drainage ditch. It does fall short though because although the ditch makes up the entire left side of the fairway (once you cross it), the entire right side is a practice football field.
Cons: No tees of any sort. Just a paver in the ground that is VERY difficult to find. Only the hole number is written on it, no hole depiction, distance, or par.
Single layer chains on old rusty Discatchers. Basket #5 is gone, and #7 is all busted up and essentially has no lower pole.
The holes all play along practice fields, in the middle of a shotput area, and #9 green is actually inside the fence of the main football stadium.
Very little shot selection required. Throw left hand or right hand on every hole. Not a single real obstacled designed into the holes (other than avoiding the fields)
#3 is long and hidden and requires a 300'+ walk to even see the basket where you should be throwing.
#9 ends nowhere near #1.
Other Thoughts: Poor course. No design, thought, or skill required for virtually every hole.
Couple the poor design, crappy baskets, no tee signs, and one busted basket, with the fact that one basket is missing, you couldn't play this if any school activites were on the fields, and there is absolutely no challenge or beauty on this course, and after all my ranting, you'll have a BAD course!
It must just be in place for the kids to come out and play for gym class. We know HS gym classes aren't much into pushing the envelope with good design, scenic beauty, or challenging the kids.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    6/3/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == D