East Peoria, IL
Illinois Central College DGC Share
Uploaded By: ToddT Hole #4 (Taken 11/2014)
Hole #4 Approach

Short, Technical Woods Course

2-4    8/22/2015   8/26/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Tight, wooded fairways require accurate line-shaping to score well
- Baskets and tee pads are adequate and in good shape
- Multiple pin positions
Cons: - Limited shot variety
- No benches, very simple tee signage
- Fairly short and mostly flat
Other Thoughts: Illinois Central College's disc golf course is a fairly short and technical 18 holes through the woods. Your enjoyment of this course will depend largely on the style of golf you prefer. If you enjoy longer, more open courses where you can play around with many different lines, this might not be the best course for you. However, if you enjoy a course with tight fairways forcing you to execute a particular line in the hunt for a birdie, ICC is the course for you.

There are a lot of tough and narrow but manageable fairways on this course, and with the exception of a few holes that feel a bit poke-n-hope, a good throw is usually rewarded with a birdie. The two longest holes on the course are also two of the best. Holes 4 and 8 each provide a bit of length to the course, and require good placement shots to card a par or birdie 3 respectively. Holes 6 and 17 are also quite good, featuring some of the limited elevation on the course, and a cool tunnel shot.

The middle section of the course does get rather repetitive. There are several short tight holes in a row, the majority of which feature a left to right turning fairway. If you can throw LHBH or RHFH well, you will definitely have an advantage on this course. As previously mentioned, with the exception of holes 6 and 8, the course plays very flat. A couple of holes cross the line from being tight but fair, to having "fairways" with almost no discernable route to the pin, leading to the poke-n-hope approach for many players. The tee signs aren't great, but the course is so short you can usually see the baskets from the pad, so it isn't that big a deal they aren't more descriptive.

ICC's disc golf course is a good course to have on a college campus. Its length makes it accessible enough to newer players, but its tight, technical fairways provide enough challenge for local players, and will certainly help you learn to hit your lines. I enjoyed my rounds here, but I think it helps to know the kind of golf you are getting yourself into before starting.

Excellent Wooded Course

2-4    11/14/2014   11/17/2014
Review By: ToddT
This review was updated on 2/23/2015
Pros: - Every hole is in the woods
- Tight lines
- Good use of left and right shots
- Forces you to tighten your line and your game
- Trees block the wind (still playable on a 20+ mph windy day)
- Easy navigation
- Baskets and Tee-Pads in good shape
Cons: - Shorter than some courses
- No elevation changes
- Cant really skip around holes so if its busy you may be in for a wait
Other Thoughts: This is a course that is carved straight out of a forest. While it may have shorter holes, it more than makes up for it with the forced lines that require precision over power.

Technical Powerhouse

5+    7/9/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: jnskender
Pros: This course is a very well designed technical course. It really succeeds in forcing players to choose and shapes lines hole after hole.

- In a well cut out section of a heavily wooded area that is really what I enjoy in a round of disc.

- Doesn't allow for chucker's to overpower finesse throwers. This can really even the playing field when throwing with a group.

- Navigation is extremely easy for first timers.

- Not heavily populated on any given day, allowing for no pressure rounds.

- Hole 17 is a very narrow hall of trees, which is very unique from most narrow fairways.

- Upkeep is top notch, plenty of trash cans, minimal trash, and fairly frequent pin position changes.

- I believe that overtime this course has given me a strict advantage against other tournament player's. It really makes you stop and think about disc selection, release angle, speed of throw, and risk/reward. I am constantly fighting for par and when you hit your birdie after an incredible throw, you know you earned that birdie.
Cons:
I would love to bump my 3.5 rating up to as high as a 4.5 but there are reasons I could not justify this action.

- Signage is sub par (all pun intended). I said navigation from hole to hole is extremely fluid, but the signage lacks even decent representation of individual layouts.

- I love the fact that the course is so technical but I have to review on a general level. I believe many golfers out there will be disappointed with the lack of any "let loose" holes.

- The course is mainly dirt fairways and a handful of holes can retain water for weeks after rain. It is never a sever hindrance but definitely an annoyance to walk up to mud puddles on a beautiful afternoon.

- Mid summer and this place is lush with greens. I have gone out in the winter looking for discs and came back with 15 in my bag. It is very easy to get kicked out into thick brush by a tree. Luckily I was able to return 9, which had numbers :)
Other Thoughts: This course has the ability to really give your technical a boost so give it a fair try!

I hope to see you out there!

Best course in the Peoria area!

2-4    7/2/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: XxBenNastyxX
Pros: Absolutely love this course. The hole course is in the woods. Lots of trees. Takes quite a bit of accuracy. Great for sidearm drives. Lots of straight shots as well. Baskets are in great shape. There's not a whole lot of bad I can say about this course. Every time I play it I'm glad I made the drive.
Cons: How to get to hole 1 isn't very well marked. After that though the holes were very easy for us to find. If you aren't an accurate thrower you may not enjoy this course as it is HEAVILY wooded. Holes aren't very long.
Other Thoughts: Do yourself a favor. Go play this course.

Fun Course but not super challenging

2-4    1/27/2012   1/28/2012
Review By: jugglerbri
Pros: Lots of trees! Technical course. If your throw hits a tree, you are in the woods and you're fighting to get to the pin. Make a good throw and it feels great to watch your disc sale down the path between the trees.
Cons: The signage could use a bit of work. Some signs were missing and others were damaged so you couldn't see the distances. I can see this area getting muddy if it rains.

Another drawback is the lack of hazards and out of bounds areas. There wasn't a single shot that I made that I thought, "I hope my disc doesn't go there or it's gone". On the other side, with the amount of trees that are on the site, out of bounds areas would be pretty tough to get to.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course. I was in the area on business and I was able to play it in the evening when I was done (had to play the last hole by flashlight first day!). A couple of the baskets could stand to have a bit of repair work on them but all in all, it was a couple fun evenings. The course is really easy to navigate. As another reviewer mentioned, it "flows" very well. A couple of the baskets where a little tricky to locate (hole 4 curves right into the trees and I threw at the wrong basket on the long par 5) but I've sort of come to expect some of that the first time on a course.

The course description refers to this as "moderately hilly" and that's about as far from the truth as you can get. Yes, there were a couple drainage gullies that you would shoot over but none of the holes had any significant elevation changes to them. Perhaps for flatlanders it is hilly but coming from Colorado, not so much...

All in all, it was a good couple rounds and if you are in the area, it's definitely worth checking out!

Super Challenging

1    8/11/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: Whoever decided that the ICC arboretum was a good place for a DG course was a genius! This course is super unique and I had a great time there.

*ICC is pretty close to being a championship caliber course with tight, wooded holes that are great for improving the technical game

*Just when I was thinking "this course could use a long hole" we came to a supertight 400 footer that kicked my butt

*Although some people find tunnels repetitive, I honestly think that every shot here was a little bit different

*Great forest scenery

*Course flowed very smoothly, always knew where to go to get to the next teepad. I normally don't take this into consideration for my reviews because I don't really care, but this was actually noticably "flow-y"
Cons: I had not read any reviews of this course before playing it and was shocked to see that its average was as low as a 3.0, but there are several parts of the course thatprevent my rating of 3.5 from going any higher:

*Signage here was pretty awful. Some holes missing signs desperately needed them because many baskets here are hidden. The signs that were in place didn't have any pictures, just distances so they weren't very effective.

*It's nice to be able to actually let loose on a drive or two over the course of 18 holes, and this course didn't really offer that
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course very much because it is super challenging, which makes it very very rewarding. I played this course on the same day that I played nearby Washington Park DGC and combined the two make for a very diverse and interesting day of disc golf. Highly recommend!

Woodsy, flat, tight sometimes, beginner course

5+    4/17/2015   7/2/2011
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 8/25/2015
Pros: Easy to follow with good tees generally. A couple challenging holes for any skill level.
Not a very busy course. Many times I have seen no one else.
Good baskets.
Some tightish fairways that demand some control and although short as a rule there are few simple twos.

This is a good first woods course for beginners and perhaps low intermediates.
Quick and easy to play, only a few spots where it isn't completely flat so it is low energy demanding.

Has a fair mix of right hand/ left hand biased shots.

Cons: If it has rained much several tees areas become muddy and or mud puddles. Nice tees but some were placed in low spots. Some benches would be welcome.
There can be other muddy areas as well if it has rained recently. Mosquitoes can be bad in summer/fall.
Only one hole which is challenging for advanced players.
Other Thoughts: Course winds through secluded woods on the plateau above some ravines on the edge of the Illinois river valley, some interesting topography and scenery, but no hills come into play really.
This is a shame, perhaps the college didn't want any hills used so the designers couldn't make use of them. If they could have used them this would've possibly been a great course because there are some great ravines just off the course.
No great holes... but a couple challenging ones... a short control type of course.

All and all I like this course and it serves a function as being a good beginners woods course.
I do like woodsy courses and this one is certainly woodsy. It is the go to course in the area for a hot day where you don't want to work too hard and sweat too much.

Certainly not a challenging course for the advanced player. Not much chance to throw hard at all,
Approach and putt basically.

Many, many two chances and aces to be had. I believe I have deuced every hole but #8 and have shot many low/mid 40's rounds.

It isn't nearly as good as Northwoods or Westwoods (in the area too). I suppose I lean towards woodsy courses so it gets a 3 even though if I could I would give it a 2.75.

In my book a to get a 4 a course has to be very good. 5 's are almost non- existent in my opinion after playing 180+ courses.

*** Not sure why I get the thumbs down votes, could do a hole by hole description I guess that's it? I will update my review with that in mind later.

I try to give my honest opinion but perhaps people disagree with me I guess.

2-4    6/30/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: dmbrun2
Pros: Good selection of hyzer and anhyzer shots

A course where you have to think about lines and accuracy as the trees will punish you

easy to find next holes

A very scenic selection of holes
Cons: Some baskets have storm damage

Posts are missing

The markings on the posts, although funny, are obscene and inappropriate!

A little on the shorter side

Other Thoughts: Peoria area is great for disc golfing, and with the addition to the updated marquette heights course (havent checked it out yet) There are five courses very close together(including Mcnaughton and Morton which both are awesome!), which makes for an awesome and long day of discing.

If you are in the area and are looking for lunch, I recomend the burger barge, which is near the Riverboat

Fun Course

5+    4/3/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: try122583
Pros: - A great course to work on your short game. A number of shorter holes, but with the woods playing a part in most of them, it forces you to be accurate.
- Because of all the trees, wind isn't much of a factor on most holes. This means on days were strong winds might make playing most courses difficult, you could probably still get in a good round here.
- Each hole has alternate basket positions. In the closer spot, you get a chance to rack up some birdies, in the longer spot, this course can become pretty difficult.
- Pretty easy to find your way around, course pretty much has a straight forward flow with no back tracking and still finds a way to wrap around nicely.
Cons: - With wooded courses, expect mud. For the most part the course is just find and there aren't any issues with footing, but some holes and walkways could become easier if some more wood chips were used.
- With most of the holes being shorter, you don't get a chance to get out the drivers. you could play this course with one solid disc if you chose to do so if the baskets were in the closer positions.
Other Thoughts: Really like this course. I have no problem driving in from 90 miles out to play. Also, being in the Peoria area, there are a number of courses to hit up on a trip, so you can make a day of it. Definitely recommend checking this course out if you're in the area.

Wooded and technical

1    8/22/2010   9/8/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a flat, wooded piece of property on a college campus. The area is dedicated to disc golf, so there isn't any interference with non disc golfers, and you get a nice feeling of seclusion. The holes play very technical, with tight fairways and pretty good punishment for errant shots, with thick woods and some underbrush off the fairways. There are concrete tees with basic signs on all holes, and discatchers in decent shape. Unlike many college courses, the course parking lot doesn't require a permit so parking is easy.
Cons: The course is very flat, and in the A positions the holes are all very similar in length. This makes for a round that feels really repetitive, and doesn't push you to make different disc and shot choices. I threw a new putter or a broken in putter on nearly every hole. The tee pads were a little small, and raised above ground level, making for awkward approach and follow through on tee shots. There was a lot of vandalism of baskets and tee signs, and a good amount of trash in the woods, which takes away from the nice atmosphere of the course.
Other Thoughts: It's great that the college has a course on campus, it's a great exposure for the sport, and hopefully introduces lots of new players. Though the rough can be a little thick, it's not very long so I don't think it would be too terribly frustrating to a newer player. More experienced throwers won't find much challenge, it really feels like the same three holes over and over.