Emmetsburg, IA
Iowa Lakes Community College Share
Uploaded By: Martin Dewgarita Hole #9 (Taken 6/2010)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Baskets laying around campus

1    6/12/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -9 nice innova baskets
-Campus is pretty nice looking and cleanly. There are nice trees to use as obstacles to practice your game.
Cons: -No navigation at all. The course flows poorly and there are no tees or signage. You have to safari your way around campus. The baskets are numbered but there are often large gaps between the baskets and it is unclear where you are supposed to go.
-The land is comparable to your average small college campus or city park. It is nice enough but not really great for a sweet disc golf course.
-Might have to watch out for cars and students depending on when you play.
-Long walk back to your car from the 9th basket.
Other Thoughts: I really wouldn't go out of my way to play this course because in my opinion, tees are neccesary! If you knew the layout you could pick a general tee off spot and it wouldn't be too bad. It wouldn't be too hard to just put a numbered stake in the ground 9 times and you would have yourself a slightly better marked course.

Good Safari Course to Practice

1    6/23/2010   6/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: 9 baskets exist. After some searching, I eventually found all 9 baskets - all are in good shape and are perfect targets to aim at.

Fun Safari. Though there are no marked tees, I enjoyed making my own lines, and could see really getting into "building" holes on a regular basis if this was the only course I had to play. There is a variety of trees and landscape to work with here.

Clean well maintained campus area. Some of the areas were under construction, but everything was well mowed and clean - won't lose a disc here unless you're getting really creative with your holes.
Cons: Navigation. Hole 1 is way behind the campus, near the dorm buildings, hole's 2 and 3 are directly west of there, and the remaining holes wrap around to the North, ending several blocks from where you begin, the holes were difficult to find and the walk from start to end is a pain.

No tees. I mentioned that Safari is fun here, but it's hardly much of a course without tees/maps/fairways, more of just a practice area with random baskets around.

Busy area. I was here when school was out of session and it was still busy with people walking around through the "fairways" practicing ball golf, or sitting next to a tree reading, at least I could avoid them by creating my hole away from them. I can't imagine how busy it might be in the middle of a school day.
Other Thoughts: A decent place to practice lines, approaches, and putting - I would probably grow to love this place if I was a local, but would not go out of my way to play this course.