Cedar Hill, TX
Lester Lorch Park - Beaver DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 3/2013)

Lived up to expectations!

1    4/28/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: Slimrn
Pros: -Great use of terrain and water.

-Not much non-DG traffic out there.

-Nice signage.

-There is a portapotty!

-Beautiful mature trees and secluded location make this a wildlife haven.
Cons: -Poison ivy and thorns.

-Hole 9 is unrealistic as par 3 if in the long position- you literally have to have 2 perfect throws to hit it in 3.

-Apparently "MELK" was here.

-Grass could use some cutting.
Other Thoughts: -Lots of people commented on the tee pads being too short. I found that the holes that have short pads were short holes (do you really need a giant run up to throw 200ft?)

-This pair of courses is the best I've been to in DFW.

Good for beginners

5+    7/29/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: EL WORM
Pros: Best park I been to... Havent been to many courses but best one so far
Cons: one hole has tall grass.. Easy to lose disc... Lost a yellow sidewinder first time I threw on this hole
Other Thoughts: Could have more beautiful women playing.. ;) lol

1    6/25/2011   6/26/2011
Review By: yourmomrhymes
Pros: Excellent Course
Each hole is different than the one before it.
I really liked how some of the holes would start off in the trees then open up, or vice-versa.
Lots of shade for those hot Texas days
Cons: Briars and thorns in the brush, supposedly snakes (we didn't see any).
Just keep your disc in the fairway and none of these are problems.
Other Thoughts: Great course, we drove from northern Dallas down to play it and it was well worth it. Even if you don't play the second course on site, its still worth the drive.
Cannot wait to go back

Lea/e it to Bea/er

1    1/18/2011   6/7/2011
Pros: 1) Excellent layout on this di/erse property. Water comes into play, some tighter technical holes, some ele/ation change, some longer more open holes,a nd some longer parklike holes too . . . all in all a nice di/ersity of hole types.

2) Turf is in pretty decent shape on this course e/en in the woods. It almost seems like whoe/er did the design/install of those wooded holes knew to use a special type of grass seed because it was healthy under what I would think is /ery minimal sunlight and growing turf in the woods is no easy task . . . trust me I ha/e been doing it my whole life.

3) Shade is pre/alent on this course and the other course which I am sure is welcomed in season. I played it in winter and it was pleasant!

4)Concrete tees are nice.

5) Tee signs on both courses are helpful in na/igation and they ha/e all the information needed. Hole # Par, Distance, and a hole map with OB's indicated. A welcome site for a tra/elling disc golfer.

6) Garbage cans all o/er the place which is nice to see . . . if only e/eryone used them!

7) Chainstar baskets in great condition. I lo/e these baskets!!!

Cons: 1) Lots of areas on the course would be slick and muddy after a rain, but the turf is in pretty good condition on most areas of this course.

2) Small parking area lot but it is only for disc golfers since that is all this park has to offer.

3) Snake Preser/e seriously . . . I wish I knew that when I played it. Seems like a risk to play when the snakes are acti/e but I suppose when I was there in January they weren't really acti/e.

Other Thoughts: It sounds like I missed out on a lot of the complaints about this course because of the time of year I was there. Another perk to be a tra/elling disc golfer like myself . . . plus I didn't ha/e to deal with the 100 degree temperatures.

A great course, a great design, great /ariety, and 36 holes on site . . . what more could we ask for . . .other than bathrooms and a bar and grill with air conditioning, but that is just not going to happen.

This is on the low end of the 4.5 and the high end of the 4.0 rating, but I feel like a 4.0 rating is a disser/ice to such a fun course.

5+    2/19/2011   1/10/2011
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 8/3/2011
Pros: Wide variety of hole types. The longest fairways on the front nine will try to deceive you, as the back nine gets tree heavy and approaches become increasingly more difficult. Overall, I really like Beaver. The course sits in a very secluded deep and woody park which makes for beautiful scenery. The hole types and design of the course is one of the best in the state. Lots of trash cans. Great cement teepads. Three water hazard holes. Great use of terrain. Porta-John in the parking lot is always clean.
Cons: Limited parking. The back nine can get a bit wet if it's rained recently, watch out for briars and poison ivy, but that's pretty typical for most courses in the area.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the drive. Sort of centrally located for all DFW disc golfers. A must play if it's on you wish list and if it's not then you better put it on there, cause you're missing out.

DFW's best

5+    7/6/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Cement tee pads on every hole.

Tee Signs on every hole.

Great use of the varied land. 3 shots over the edges of the pond. (my disc landed on the Beaver Dam today)

the open holes have some length to air it out.

Has a few good tunnel shots thrown in.

Benches/picnic tables on several of the back up holes.
Cons: It was dry today, but hole 5 can be VERY muddy in the spring.

Tee pads need to be cleaned off on a few holes. I think it was 13 that was totally covered by dirt.

Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: When ever I play Cedar Hill, I play both courses back to back. (Beaver 1 - 16, Coyote 2-1, Beaver 17-18)

This is why I call it DFW's best, when both courses are taken into consideration, it is THE place to play in the DFW area.

Out of the 2, the Beaver may be the better course. however I tend to shoot better on it than the Coyote.

I always enjoy listening to the birds as I play. Other than someone mowing there yard today, It was very quiet.

Cedar Hill's Beaver Rundown!!!

5+    12/14/2009   1/12/2010
Review By: TxDiscGolfBoy
This review was updated on 1/13/2011
Pros: -Concrete pads
-Signage is good
-Shot variety (skill shot and drive accuracy work-out)
-Terrain variety and elevations changes.
-Scenic course
-Pretty clean course. (Let's keep the permanent markers off the course people)
-Great course layout. Even with no map, you can find your way around.
-Has really decent, top-of-the line hole length and hole variety.
Cons: -Muddy when wet!!!
-Large pond presents a "lost disc" water hazard
Other Thoughts: This is only one half of 36 hole's course out in Cedar Hill... it's a must visit. Worth your time...without a doubt in my mind. If you love disc golf -- well let's just say that Cedar Hill's 36 hole's is the best in the DFW area.

Scenic Retreat

5+    12/12/2009   1/6/2010
Review By: McLeod
Pros: Little to No Crowds
Variety of Shots
Quiet and Scenic
True Test of Talent
Cons: No Facilities
Travel Time
Hole 1 is a Near Impossible to Birdie
Rocky Terrain
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing course. I get out here as often as possible. Elevation changes and water hazards make this a unique North Texas course.

Cool Tip: Hole 8 has a secret tee box that shoots from across the pond, on top of the cliff edge. To get to it, go to hole 17's pin and follow the trail up hill until you get to a picnic table.

Better Half

1    11/17/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: chalos13
Pros: Lots of open shots early on, I enjoyed this course better than the other half. Hole 8 crosses the water, good pin placement, Hole 9 crosses a swampy area, had me remembering that warning sign. Course has benches, picnic tables, trash cans. Actually the trash cans make it easy to navigate, just look for the big blue trash cans, they're right by the tee boxes in most cases. If you get tired, the front nine is circles the parking lot, so take a rest, grab another Gatorade, it's kinda nice.
Cons: Ok so it's easier to be negative than positive, but this course irritated me several times. Holes 12 and 13 are just very short, very wooded, and uphill shots. It almost feels like they ran out of space, and just put some pins in. The trees on these two are a little ridiculous. Also, this course has some of the shortest tee boxes I've ever seen, no way to get a run up.
Other Thoughts: Ok, I'll post this photo when I get back home, the course starts with this "caution, this is a venomous snake nature preserve." Who builds a disc golf course on a snake preserve? I preferred this course to the Coyote, but the guy i played with liked this one better.

1    8/24/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: There is a kiosk at hole #1 where you will find full page maps of both courses.

The variety on this course is excellent from open bomber holes to what some might call a pinball hole (#12) and everything in between. #13 is a fishhook requiring a full 180 degree curve to get to the basket, which is elevated. There are a couple of throws over the corner of a pond but most folks will have no problem clearing the water.

The fairways are just beautiful having almost a ball golf course type feel with short grass and large trees. Each fairway is defined by walls of dense native forest. In other words: keep it on the fairway or it will cost you.

The fun factor is very high on this course due to a combination of scenic beauty, shot variety, and medium difficulty level. I can't wait to go back and play it again.
Cons: It takes a perfect (lucky) shot to get through the trees on the #12 fairway (although my wife almost had her first ace on that hole). If the one almost dead, small tree were removed there would be a pretty fair line to the basket.

The signs are faded and the writing is so small you have to get pretty close to see the distances. This is really minor considering most courses don't even have signs.

A couple of the teepads are too short for folks that have a large x-step.

If you get off of the mowed fairways you will encounter poison ivy. This is minor considerring this is a nature preserve.
Other Thoughts: We did see a snake laying right in the middle of a mowed fairway. We just gave it some time and it slithered away.