Hitchcock, TX
Jack Brooks Park - Gulf Meadows Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6 (Taken 4/2009)

One of my favorite

5+    5/7/2014   5/16/2014
Review By: sageathor
Pros: Beautiful course, the community has really shaped it up to be an outstanding course. It's been my favourite since i started playing a few years back. Great mix of challenging fairways and technical shots with some big open drives as well.
Cons: Sometimes the ants and mosquitoes get a little crazy.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a must play

JB Gulf Meadows

5+    10/2/2013   10/12/2013
Review By: uwdiscgolf
Pros: The PROS:

1. Concrete tee pads

2. Course plays back to parking lot in triple play style ( Means holes 1/18 and additional hole..preferably hole 9 start/end at parking lot.

3. Alt tees on some holes that are clearly marked. Some are not. But nice non the less.

4. Port a Jon on site near hole 1/18/9/10. Its located clearly on edge of parking lot near the course map.

5. Course map layout.
Cons: The CONS:

1. Baskets are showing their age big time! Much rust on chains.

2. Course is pretty repetitive. There is a mix of wooded and open.

3. Design! You can not play this course after a rain, and most times if it is dry there are cracks so big you can fall knee deep in one. Standing water does not seep well here. i have played many a times with soaked feet after the front nine. Starting at the end of hole 4 thru hole 9 the standing water also provides everyone's favorite insect in the world a breeding ground.

Other Thoughts: Best holes: 9/16/17/18

9: Plays about 150-200 ft from an open tee to a wooded pin. The basket sits just on the other side of the hill.

16: Ace Run down a straight wooded fairway. 185' to pin

17: Plays down a left to right to left "S" curve with the pin protected by concrete blocks and tubes.

18: Plays down a LHBH dogleg the plays over a usually dried creek bed. There is a small bridge to cross over to end up back by the parking lot.

"BASKET 18" is the Practice basket for most locals . So please be careful and make sure you are ever mindful of anyone that might be trying to finish their round.

Gulf Meadows is a fun course that when the weather is cooperating is a chance to finish under par. I have adapted the saying " You can kick butt at Gulf Meadows, and then get your butt kicked at Cedar hills" as a very honest and true statement for JACK BROOKS. Some of the baskets that are in bad shape are being replaced. Hole 15 is a good example of one that needed to be replaced and now has a fresh DISCatcher basket. With Cedar Hills being on the same grounds, this double 18 feature is one of very few in Houston.

Ton of Fun With a Bit of Everything

1    3/28/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: bayouace
Pros: Gulf Meadows has a little bit of everything and was really fun to play. I am RHBH and a SRGM. Quite a variety of throwing skills are tested from wide open bombs to precise lines, over and under trees and more. #1 sets the tone by saying "Here I am, you don't need a big arm and if you can place your shots, you'll score." That's the truth with GM. Tight and wooded, wide open, woods to open, open to woods, flat, elevation - got it all. Only a couple of holes are kinda boring. For me the right lines and placement for next shots was the key. If you can't throw straight, you will experience gulf coast vegetation with scrub oaks and cedar trees. My wife,who is a novice, and I did not have a scorecard but we printed out the DGCR map and it was great. Benches are available on many holes. A nice parking lot is right there at #1, along with a porta-potty. Wooden bridges, steps and planks are placed for when rainy weather causes some obvious standing water, although the ground was cracked dry when we played. No mosquitoes that day. Have uphill and downhill putts to deal with also.
Cons: Most basket chains are rusty from the salt air from the gulf. Bring your own water. We had pretty good wind the day we played, and I imagine that is common, so you will have to deal with that.
Other Thoughts: No water to cross on #18 the day we played. After holing out on #7 you can go to the nearby pavillion for a nicer rest room by the tennis courts, then go on to #8. Favorite holes were 1, 3, 9, 16, and 17. Least favorite was 12, which is 500 ft into the wind and wide open. I will play Cedar Hills next time as well, but my wife was not up to that skill level. She did enjoy Gulf Meadows. But you know what, if only Gulf Meadows was available, it would be fun every time for me. Easy to get to off of I-45. Jack Brooks is a well-cared for local park. Good maintenance was very obvious.

2-4    11/3/2012   11/26/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: -This is by far the easier of the two courses at Jack Brooks Park. It is more wide open but does have a few holes that are short and involve a careful, accurate shot to get close to the basket for an easy 2.
-There is little chance to lose your disc since there is no water in play. Just make sure you watch where your disc lands, as the grass can get long.
-There are a few blind tee shots, which in my opinion is a lot more exciting because you do not know how close (or how far) you are from the pin until you walk up.
-The pin placements on a few of the more open, longer holes are nestled into some trees which can turn a good drive into a disastrous 5 if you are not careful with your putts.
-Concrete tees are great and the tee signs are posts with the hole design, and length etched into the wood. The posts is something that this course has and Cedar Hills is lacking.
Cons: -The baskets are starting to show wear. Accurate putts can easily be spit right back out.
-The wind can be pretty insane. There is nothing to be done about this, just leave your understable and blizzard discs in your bag.
-The ants were terrible. Last time I was out here, my bag and my partner's bag was completely covered in ants and we did not even realize it. Be careful where you set down your bag
Other Thoughts: The two courses on site offer the best disc golf you will get in the area in my opinion. The other park with two courses on site (Tom Bass) does not even come close to the caliber that this park has to offer.
-The birdies here come plentiful and if you are bringing a new person to play this would be a great place to do it.

Nice variation

2-4    5/5/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: soonerpa
Pros: Lots of variation - wooded, semi open, treeline, open. Shade for a hot Houston/Hitchcock day. Few to no water hazards.
Cons: Mosquitoes. Tall grass (found 4 discs in one day). Mosquitoes.
Other Thoughts: The variation of holes lets you try a lot of different shots and use different discs. Im newer to the game so this is a fun challenge.

Jack Brooks Park

5+    7/25/2010   8/5/2010
Review By: whosnext
Pros: This course has great personallity. Has everything Hyzer's, Anny's Long, short, open, woods. Fantastic layout. Easy to shoot under par but because of the thick woods a bad shot can really become real bad real quick. All holes are birdieable except for hole 12 unless you can throw 500 ft. I have been playing disc golf for ten years in houston and this has been my favorite course the whole time. Easy enough for begginers but hard enough to challenge anyone.
Cons: some of the tee pads suck. Lots of Mesquitoes. "Bring the Deet"
Other Thoughts: The layout makes you use so many shots that it makes this course great for all levels of play. Fun Fun Fun

2-4    4/25/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: A friendly course with seemingly mystical properties, ie. you may randomly run into some guy that you don't know, but actually do know and had planned on meeting him later that week, or that some of the baskets are cursed (hole 8, nearly all of us had a 3 putt). But that's all besides the point, in all, I really enjoyed this course, enough to play another round as soon as I finished my first round.

Parking. A decent parking lot, large enough to fit as much traffic as they seem to get, with a porta-john, an information kiosk with scorecards (no map), and a picnic table.

Variety of holes. I did like the decent variety offered here. There are several open holes with nice ace runs, and some with decent length (500+ feet), several dog legs, both directions with the either the basket or tee tucked into the tree line. And several accuracy shots through the trees. The holes offered a decent challenge, yet a reasonable chance at shooting a 3 on each basket and many opportunities for ace runs and birdies.

Tidy. For the number of people playing, and low number of garbage cans I saw, the park was relatively well kept with very little litter. The fairways were all well maintained, whether it was mowed grass or most of the brush was removed from the fairways. Some pesky little bushes on several of the wooded holes made skip shots more of a challenge.

Layout. Despite the lack of a map, I was able to navigate fairly easily, though I did have to ask a local where hole 10 started (on the right side of hole 1, about halfway down the fairway). The overall layout is nice as the front 9 and back 9 occupy two separate sections of the park, and you pass right through the parking lot between the two to restock on supplies from the vehicle.

Number of people playing. A decent drive from Houston kept the crowds down, there was a steady flow of traffic in and out of the course but it never got backed up. As a solo golfer I was able to pass a couple groups and had the course mostly wide open.

Friendliness. Being from Minnesota, I hear the term "Minnesota Nice" all the time, but don't always see it in action. Not that people in MN are mean, but I don't get the vibe that I felt here in Texas, and it's probably not just this course, but I'm going to include it here. Everybody I came across was extremely friendly and helpful.

Multiple courses on site. Though I didn't play the other course, it's always nice to have multiple choices, or to be able to play two different courses in the same park.
Cons: Tees. Though sufficient, there's room for improvement here. Entirely natural (I think) many had a layer of almost kitty litter (I guess I didn't look too close, it must have been dry dirt clumps, or possibly a gravel), this made the dirt slippery and I lost my footing on a couple of drives. Some of the tees don't offer quite enough room for a full run up (though those holes a full run up shouldn't be necessary). Also a couple of the tees are confusing as to which one you're supposed to use (namely hole two), I guess really you can use whichever you feel like, but every hole doesn't have a long and a short tee, though for a few holes I did find a hidden gold tee.

Signage. Most of the holes had a post with a rough diagram, hole number, and yardage. Some of them only had the hole number. Improvements could easily be made, I'd be completely satisfied if every hole gave me the yardage and a rough diagram, though nice tee signs with maps would be excellent. Also, there was rarely any direction given for navigating the course, occasionally I questioned myself, or had to look around for a minute or two, or ask a local, a couple strategically placed arrows would be nice.

Multiple Baskets Visible. On a couple of holes, there were two baskets visible from the tee that appear to be in range, pay attention to the distance and the direction the tee is facing and it shouldn't be a problem, though I questioned myself on a couple instances, I always ended up at the correct basket.

No Map. A map at the beginning, or a map on the score card would help with navigation.

Baskets. The baskets definitely do their job, but some of them are falling apart in places, or the chains are so corroded they look as though they may fall apart soon.

No practice basket. I saw many people using hole 18 as a practice basket, which may be fairly dangerous, as it is a blind hole and somebody could easily throw at you while practicing there, a practice basket would alleviate that problem.
Other Thoughts: An overall enjoyable course with a decent challenge, though relatively easy to par (no I didn't par it, I shot 6 over, but could easily see myself parring it). Definitely worth a stop if in the area, make a day out of it and play both courses in the park.

Favorite hole:
I enjoyed firing a big sweeping hyzer towards the 'blind' basket of hole two. It's not entirely blind though, as after the shot is thrown you can view through a lane seemingly cut out of the trees directly at the basket, so if you can see your disc land, you know you had a perfect shot, if you can't see it, you may have to spend a moment searching for it. I got a thrill from watching my disc park at the base of the basket through that lane after releasing the huge hyzer shot.

Nice hike with discs

1    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: kuhlmarl
Pros: Nice mix of annies and hyzers, long open shots and tight short shots. Course is relatively easy to navigate. I prefer the well-marked dirt tees featured by courses like this one to concrete ones. Surrounded by a beautiful park with picnic area, playground, tennis courts, walking/biking trails. In fact, the last 3 holes trace along a hiking trail, requiring short, accurate throws. Convenient design for completing 9 or 18 baskets. #18 is available for putting practice for warm-up.
Cons: Scorecard does not have a "mini-map" on it, nor is a course guide available. There is only one set of tees/pins, so there's only one way to play it--I don't think this would be great as a "home course".
Other Thoughts: I banked a birdy putt in off of a tree on #15--any course that has a helpful tree is a good one in my book! It was not hot when I played, but in the heat of summer, you will be out in the hot sun for a good part of the course--bring sunscreen and water.

the little sister of cedar hills

1    1/31/2010   2/10/2010
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -this course has a decent amount of hole variety anhyzers, hyzers straight shots, as well as wide open holes and fairly wooded holes
-double loop design making for a stop at the parking lot to get drinks, food etc.
-decent length variety ranging from 185-->500(?)
-some of the holes that ended in the woods had nice pin placement that were either decently protected or kind of risky (on small hillsides)
-Nice, champ level course on site.
Cons: -natural tee pads were kind of sloppy when I played here, probably not a continual problem, but nasty after rain.
-better signage would have been nice, course just has 4x4 posts with hole number, length and routes. We had a pretty excellent guide here but I'd imagine we would have been wandering around a bit looking for pins and navigating btwn holes had he not shown us around.
-While there was some shot variety here, a lot of holes seemed either throwing from outside the trees to a basket slightly tucked into the trees or throwing from <100 inside the trees to a wide open pin. Then there were also completely open holes and wooded holes. I guess I would like to have seen some more variety in the holes throwing into and out of the woods ie throwing from outside the woods in, but make it a tight opening and put the pin 100' in.
-The wide open holes were pretty boring with very few trees and flat.
Other Thoughts: I think while reading reviews for this course, I hyped it up a bit too much in my head, that it was kind of a let down for me. I had a similar experience at McDade on the big Houston trip.

But this is certainly a fun course that would be challenging for a low level am player. So in that way it serves it's purpose now that cedar hills is in place. I would recommend playing the course and making a day of Jack Brooks.

5+    1/6/2010   2/4/2010
Review By: bobbeno
Pros: Nice layout, throwing blind in the woods to the open on a couple of holes is a nice effect, a few long holes, finishing up in the woods is a nice feel, baskets and tee boxes are in pretty good shape. A little out of the way but worth it, especially when the second course is all the way done.
Cons: Gets muddy after it rains, especially in the wooded areas;
Other Thoughts: First timers - print a map and bring bug spray