Jackson, MI

1 2 Next >
 DNF

1    5/20/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: First off let me say that I really like this course. Really. It has the balls that so many southeastern MI courses lack. There's great use of elevation, and a fantastic mix of open fields and tight wooded holes. The entire course has a down-the-rabbit-hole feel to it, as hole 1 calls you away from campus life and into the golden fields. The holes are well-designed and are challenging without being daunting. Prepare for a hike! I would LOVE to give this course 4 or maybe 4.5 stars if it weren't for the cons I'm about to list. :SIGH:
Cons: Where the F**K is the signage? Have you seen the map that's posted on here? You can't read it. I felt like I was heading out on the Oregon Trail without a guide. Surprised I didn't die of dysentary. There are absolutely no "next tee" signs, and so many forks in the road that I doubled back about a half-dozen times. Holes I played were 1, 2, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16, and this took me an hour and a half. I could not find 3-7 and had to leave before the last two. I think they must be on the other side of the south road on the campus.

While the hole layout is great, the course layout is horrible. No signs would be fine except you double-back more than a few times while playing. The holes themselves are marked with stone tablets, but all of them are faded and some of the are broken. Dirt tee pads don't help either, as you can't tell if it's a tee or just a bald spot in the grass. The chainstars are marked with hole numbers but I got a little tired walking up to each one to see where I was.

Bugs weren't as bad as previous reviewers stated, but some spray is probably recommended during the summer months. The rough (especially on the back nine) is f**kin ROUGH. I lost a disc that was bright pink. PINK I TELL YOU! IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.
Other Thoughts: Man, if this course was better maintained I would play at every opportunity. The scenery is gorgeous (especially under the water tower) and it's a shame it's not better maintained. Some concrete tees and some signage throughout (maybe a slight course redesign?) would make this an absolute jewel. It pains me to give this course 2.5 stars, but it is what it is. (i originally had two stars, but to be fair to the rest of my reviews, I had to bump it up.)

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: Blackknight
Pros: Challenging course that's not too busy.
Cons: Navigating the course is difficult, poorly marked tees and there are a few spots where you can easily end up going the wrong way.

Course is not well maintained, the rough is very thick.
Other Thoughts: Hole #1 is behind the new dorms, the back 9 starts at the corner of the tennis courts like mentioned before.

5+    10/20/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: NEWBY1151
This review was updated on 11/8/2008
Pros: Good mix of open and wooded holes,several long holes really let you air it out,a few holes have some decent elevation changes,Discraft baskets,
Cons: Natural tee pads,hard to navigate between several holes and to find hole#1 if the school is not open,if open secretary at front desk was helpful,not well maintained,lots of bugs,Thick rough on many holes make it easy to loose a disc,
Other Thoughts: To get to hole #1 from front entrance take first left and then a right into large parking lot follow to opposite side and park by McDevitt building, walk past water fountain turn left hole #1 is on right,#10 starts next to tennis courts,holes marked with rock signs

A Shame.

6/16/2007   4/23/2008
Review By: captconnels
Pros: I used to like this course, with holes ranging from easily birdied to quite challenging. Some heavily wooded holes and some wide open fields. Gotta love the scenery on the water tower hole.
Cons: This course has not been taken care of. My first time playing it at the end of `05 it was beautiful. Well groomed and everything. The college has taken no interest in keeping this course in tact. In fact, they actually started construction on a new dorm where the fairways for the 2nd/3rd holes used to be, so don't plan on playing 18, you might be lucky to get 15 in. Oh yeah, and I totally agree with the bug spray/tick/bee comment also. Hope this was helpful.

Watch out for ticks and bushes

8/1/2007   4/22/2008
Review By: Portablewalrus
This review was updated on 4/30/2008
Pros: JCC is a Medium size layout with Lots of variation. There is some woods, but most holes are open with thick weeds and brush in the O.B.. Holes 1 through 9 are longer with one short hard left dog leg hole.The back 9 is shorter but technically well laid out.
Cons: There are no alternative tees, and some of the noted pars and distances are questionable. It is Difficult to navigate( poorly marked, with some tees not marked at all). Bring insect repellent and watch out for ticks and bees!

1 2 Next >