Grand Rapids, MI
Johnson Park Share
Uploaded By: FoleyT Hole #2
3 / 291ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #2 Target (#17 in the background)

One of my Favorites

2-4    8/5/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: myhouseinthewoods
Pros: - Great crazy level hills through-out the park - in which one hole you go down a steep hill just to go up another steep one.
- Very private - so activities involving 420 can take place privately if wanted.
Cons: - Hard to find for new people. The first time I've went to this park - even with my car - I couldnt find where to go for at least 20 minutes, and even got sidetracked walking into the forest lands. I even asked a few locals with no help.
- Can get really hot during the middle of summer being up top of some of these high level hills, so best to bring a drink.
- Can get confusing trying to find some holes, as it seems a couple have dissapeared - but it should be expected since as the park is old.
Other Thoughts: - In order to easily reach the park, just continue down past the local park until you feel you have reached a gravel drive way to your left - of course though most people come from that direction.
- The last time I've took a bike ride to, there were two strange kids, and my brother swears one had a axe in his pants, so be careful around this park, as it may be a good idea to bring a back-up knife.
- Theres only poles, no baskets.
- No concrete tee pads, mostly dirt
- Despite some of the cons I have put down, this park is still one of my favorites cause of the crazy terrain - gotta give the park credit for uniqueness.

Go early or late

5+    9/5/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: libertine5010
Pros: Great terrain and post layouts. Beautiful landscape with rolling hills and fantastic skylines. This is where I learned to play and this will probably always be my favorite course.
Cons: NO BASKETS. Stupid kids ruined them a few years ago so now we are stuck with posts for now. Also, avoid raining, humid days. Bugs and mud will be plenty. I suggest wearing high socks if you plan on wearing shorts because there are pricker bushes galore if you land in the rough. I personally thrive in this atmosphere however. This is the "manliest" course in the Grand Rapids region.
Other Thoughts: If this course had a bi-monthly mowing and baskets, it would earn a 5 without a doubt.

used to be good

5+    10/30/2001   10/30/2010
Review By: discdeviant
Pros: I'll give it a 4 because it used to be a really fun course before a bunch of scumbag lowlifes stole baskets and gutted the course. A cool mix of shots with good elevation changes. Hole 18 is a blast!
Cons: Last I knew no baskets remain--just pole targets. Some throwers will consider it too short
Other Thoughts: 97 Am Worlds course

memories

5+    5/1/2001   10/6/2009
Review By: nrohtlaw
This review was updated on 11/28/2009
Pros: Great views of Grand Valley(great spot to watch Grandville's 4th of July fireworks,can see radio tower by Brewer park from here as well).It has a very unique layout playing accross valleys and up and down hills.Lots of elevation changes,extreme hyzers,and risk reward putting.Could be compared to Flip City or some of the northern MI courses for the amount of elevation changes and views.
Cons: No baskets,no maintanance,no cement tee pads,no cares for the park by the local league or the township.
Other Thoughts: I started playing disc golf in 1994 at this course.There used to be a rope swing in the woods and I seen that they installed baskets.I had no clue as to what they were until I have seen people playing.Around this time there was 18 baskets and the park was very busy,almost as busy as Brewer Park.I took up the game there and have not stopped playing since.I guess I could say that Johnson park made me fall in love with the game.Through the years I have seen the baskets disappear but never stopped there playing for a while.A couple of friends and I took it upon ourselves to replace with what there used to be a basket to a 4x4 post.We would also during the game,fill in the tee pads with dirt or move the tee pads slightly because of dense foilage growing over them.I even took it upon myself to move the pins on #12 and #13 because of erosion and personal issues.After #12 don't walk up the hill to play #13,go to the left just downhill from 11's post and play it flat toward the post.I am sure anyone would find this helpful if they don't want to walk up the same hill twice.If you have a portable basket and a couple of willing friends I suggest lugging it around this park.It breaks my heart to see this park gone to hell,it is the best next to Flip City I have ever played.I wish now that the sport has grown so much since the good old days that someone would take the initiative, like I have, to get baskets back here.After there was 3 baskets stolen in one weekend I got fed up and stopped caring for it or playing it.I live in Florida now, but Johnson Park will always be in my heart and at the top of my list.Johnson Park is where I learned the game.