Grand Rapids, MI
3 / 293ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #15 Fairway to Tee

1    5/3/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: A lot of good shots. It's a good place where you can bring a driver and a putter or even a mid range and a putt and easily get birdies and pars. There is a good amount of shots and you will need a few types of shots to get close. Only about one or two holes where you really need a third shot at more then 10 feet
Cons: Tee pads are dirt. Finding it is hard. You have to drive by a while and it's in a sand parking lot and you can kind of see the poles. It's not that hard. there are like 4 tee pads all together and it can get hard to find the basket at which you need to shoot to.
Other Thoughts: I have never played poles besides the river side poles course(which are like 80 feet and you can play with only a putter) I was not sure the real rules but i didn't really get anything over a par.

My Favorite

5+    10/14/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: tikirunner3
Pros: Hilly, different terrain, trees, scenic.
Cons: Lots of burrs, but you'll get that anywhere in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Johnson Park taught me to play good disc golf. I absolutely love this course. It allows you to practice a lot of different, and more complicated shots. I even prefer the posts rather than baskets... gives you a smaller target to practice quality putting. Luckily its the closest course to my home, so I play it a lot. I definitely think its a hidden gem and overlooked because of the dirt tee pads, and posts instead of baskets.

The terrain is what makes this course great. The course is anything but flat. When shooting up or downhill, you really need to work on your distance control, and the vertical angle at which you toss your disc.

I've aced a lot of the holes, and shot some really good rounds. This is definitely the most fun course to play in the Grand Rapids area.

memories

5+    5/1/2001   10/6/2009
Review By: nrohtlaw
This review was updated on 11/28/2009
Pros: Great views of Grand Valley(great spot to watch Grandville's 4th of July fireworks,can see radio tower by Brewer park from here as well).It has a very unique layout playing accross valleys and up and down hills.Lots of elevation changes,extreme hyzers,and risk reward putting.Could be compared to Flip City or some of the northern MI courses for the amount of elevation changes and views.
Cons: No baskets,no maintanance,no cement tee pads,no cares for the park by the local league or the township.
Other Thoughts: I started playing disc golf in 1994 at this course.There used to be a rope swing in the woods and I seen that they installed baskets.I had no clue as to what they were until I have seen people playing.Around this time there was 18 baskets and the park was very busy,almost as busy as Brewer Park.I took up the game there and have not stopped playing since.I guess I could say that Johnson park made me fall in love with the game.Through the years I have seen the baskets disappear but never stopped there playing for a while.A couple of friends and I took it upon ourselves to replace with what there used to be a basket to a 4x4 post.We would also during the game,fill in the tee pads with dirt or move the tee pads slightly because of dense foilage growing over them.I even took it upon myself to move the pins on #12 and #13 because of erosion and personal issues.After #12 don't walk up the hill to play #13,go to the left just downhill from 11's post and play it flat toward the post.I am sure anyone would find this helpful if they don't want to walk up the same hill twice.If you have a portable basket and a couple of willing friends I suggest lugging it around this park.It breaks my heart to see this park gone to hell,it is the best next to Flip City I have ever played.I wish now that the sport has grown so much since the good old days that someone would take the initiative, like I have, to get baskets back here.After there was 3 baskets stolen in one weekend I got fed up and stopped caring for it or playing it.I live in Florida now, but Johnson Park will always be in my heart and at the top of my list.Johnson Park is where I learned the game.

Giver a shot

1    10/6/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: ovar
This review was updated on 10/21/2009
Pros: The feel, layout, hole variety, and scenic setting
Cons: The lack of baskets, (good) tee pads, signage (PRINT OUT MAP IF YOUR NOT FAMILIAR WITH COURSE), and routine maintenance.

Be prepared: Bring water, bug spray, sunscreen, and a keen eye so you don't lose your disc.
Other Thoughts: Rating this course was difficult. The feel, layout, hole variety, and scenic setting easily make this course a strong 4 but the lack of baskets, (good) tee pads, signage, and routine maintenance drop this course down at least a full point. I feel this course would be the best course in GR if the above mentioned improvements were done.

I have live and played in the GR area for almost 7 years and this was my first time playing Johnson Park. I was turned off because there were only poles and I made the terrible mistake of judging this course before playing it. So my point is don't let the cons, although numerous, deter you from playing this course. If you live in the GR area, play this course. If your coming to the GR area I would definitely put this on your list of courses to play.

I have been in contact with Kent County Parks and Rec about improving this course, namely putting in baskets (signage and tee pads would be relatively cheap to do). The county said they do not have any money to put in the park but that if money was raised they would allow improvements to be made. Please contact me if you interested in teaming up with me to make this THE course in GR. Happy discing :)

Update:
I have started a thread regarding the progress of improving Johnson Park. Please add you 2 cents to this thread.

Such Potential...

1    9/20/2009   9/20/2009
Review By: DGninja
Pros: -Lots of elevation changes
-Little played
-Great landscape
-Workout
Cons: -Easy to lose a disc. (The grass is unmowed except for the strips of "path".)
-Tons of thorns and other weeds (not a problem if you have jeans...I didn't)
-Workout
Other Thoughts: Advice:
-Wear athletic shoes and JEANS!
-Bring a waterbottle if its sunny or hot. (Luckily remembered those!)
-Watch your shots very carefully. (We had 3 people spotting each other and still almost lost a couple)
Overall:
Great challenging course that could be amazing with some more attention.

Hidden Gem

1    9/16/2009   9/16/2009
Review By: Gregory
Pros: Very hilly. If it's warm out bring some water. Good mix of shots. Some you need to bend. Some tees are in the woods and you have a narrow opening before it opens up. There are holes that you can air it out on. A spotter is huge on some holes. It's a long course. I think I walked about 2 miles total. This includes running back to the tee after spotting shots. Accurancy is big. But with help, newbies can enjoy it too.
Cons: Tee's are very sandy. Do not wear good shoes. I got a few scratches from the bushes and had to remove all the cock a burrs from my shoes and socks. It would be big if the holes were baskets.
Other Thoughts: Signage would help, but due to the paths, we were able to figure it out for the most part. Neither one had a map. It's a plus that not a lot of people play this. Not crowded and because it's located away from the main park, you don't have a lot of civilians there. If a "club" took over this park, and made improvements, it would be dynomite!

Fun but a challenge

5+    7/25/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: valkyrie
This review was updated on 3/12/2010
Pros: Fun course with alot of varity. Challenging shots but it makes for an awesome time!
Cons: No Baskets. Only fairways were mowed, so if you dident land on the mowed part you need to go digging through 4 foot tall grass/weeds to find your disc. No sighns, tee pads are not fun.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses to play in the grand rapids area. Don't play alone, you WILL need a spotter!

Fun but needs work

2-4    7/10/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: mambrose
Pros: Most challanging course in Grand Rapids, alot of blind throw
Cons: While the blind throws are fun, bring a spotter or you will search in the tall grass and woods alot, the tall grass is innoying, dont wear shorts and DO bring bugspray
Other Thoughts: signs,teepads,baskets,trashcans,and basic course up keep would make it atleast a 4

5+    5/10/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: Adaven
Pros: wide variety of hole types, long wide open, heavily technical, some really fun elevation change shots - mostly from high to low. you can get some really good exercise on this course at least more so than other nearby courses.
Cons: Natural tees, some are sand and it is very hard to throw out of. holes are wooden posts no baskets. some of the posts are not secured very well and are leaning. The fairways are mowed but they are very narrow, and nothing else is maintained. sometimes the grass can get about three feet high. its by a river so in the summer it gets really buggy, I mean really buggy, I have turned around and went to another park after the first hole before.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course in the spring time, it is very fun to play and it can be a good challenge. unfortunately the park is just not maintained very well. I have heard that there used to be baskets but they were all stolen. If this story is true you can understand why the county doesn't want to put more money into it.

Steep, Lots of Technical Shot-Making Opportunities

5+    6/7/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: dandther
This review was updated on 6/16/2012
Pros: The design of most of the holes requires some clever shot planning and execution. Though relatively short (I assume all holes are par 3), it's quite challenging. There is about an even balance between "best" lines which demand either a left or a right curve, although the course does favor shots that curve left. These lines are the result of intelligently designed holes that use mature trees in a fair way. There is lots of room for good shots, there are no holes where lucky bounces off trees are the only way you'll end up close to the pole.
Cons: Hills. Steep hills. You'll get a real workout here. It's hard to call this much of a con, because the design of the course uses the hills intelligently, much like the trees. However, by the 12th hole I'm usually pretty tired of the continual up and down, no matter how well I think the course was designed. (Keep in mind I'm in my 50s and have been playing since I was 14). There are some spots where you could lose a disc in the tight woods, since you're throwing up (or down) hill blindly toward a pole you can't see. But the course is short enough that if your buddy spots for you you'll probably be OK.
Other Thoughts: The 18th hole is a real favorite of mine. Tee off at the top of a very high hill and you can really get a ton of distance, only to find a long second shot to get close enough to make it in three. It's a fantastic finishing hole.