Lewiston, NY

A change of pace

2-4    7/17/2014   7/18/2014
Review By: ssejhill
Pros: * A 27 hole course - unique in Western NY
* White tees are concrete pads
* Clean park
Cons: * Blue tees are difficult to find
* Some tees and baskets play close to each other
Other Thoughts: The course designers have done a nice job putting this course in, as an original 18 hole course, and then adding to and updating it to a 27 hole course. The course has a good flow from one hole to the next but at times it would be helpful if the baskets had an arrow pointing to the next tee (just a suggestion). I liked the overall challenge to the course. Unlike many courses in the area this didn't seem to favor lefties or righties, the holes utilized many of the natural barriers (bushes, trees, mounds, ...) to challenge the player to pick his throws.

Unlike PRERUBE (see review below) I liked the challenges that the designers put in play with the bushes, trees and hedgerows. He thought they would be too challenging for novice players, but novice players could always play these holes from the RED tees which are easier and very well marked. Its too bad the PRERUBE was bored by this course. I found it a refreshing change from the courses I often play with many unique and thoughtful challenges. I wouldn't describe myself as an expert but I am definitely experienced as I've been playing for well more than 10 years and I've played at dozens of courses over the years. I'm happy to get a chance to play JD. I just wish that I could get up here to play more often.

We did find that the BLUE tees (indicated by blue bricks in the ground) are difficult to find but we almost always found them right next to the tee signs. PRERUBE found the signs being so far from the concrete tee pad to be an issue. I guess he doesn't like playing from the BLUE tees. We did talk with an NRDG member (Justin) working the course and he mentioned that new blue tee bricks will be going in soon. We saw the work that they completed on the red tees and found that they were first class and quite noticeable.

A park just for disc golfers

5+    10/24/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: jonnieoh
Pros: No major woods or trees to damage your discs, wide open; a driver's course. Hard to lose a disc. No water holes. Not crowded/very quiet park seemingly just for disc golf. 27 holes. Lots of apple and pear trees for a tasty snack. Tee boxes are paved concrete.
Cons: Not too challenging for really experienced pro-level players, (not a problem in my case). Flat, wide-open terrain can make it a little boring. Lots of hedgerows and shrubs to make retrieving a bad throw difficult. A little "in the middle of nowhere" for some.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses to just do an easy round at. It's probably my "home course". It's also nice that there are 27 holes, (and certainly room for another 9 to be put in--hopefully someday).

Great playing course

1    11/16/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: NIBSTOOLS
Pros: challenging layout but open enough to be able to stretch your arm.
Cons: Signage is lacking, good thing I met some locals to play with or I would definately have been lost, and playing my own creative layout.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the three guys who let me join in. hopefully we'll run into each other again!

Great Course

5+    9/4/2009   9/4/2009
Review By: OzzyMac
This review was updated on 6/18/2010
Pros: Short holes, pretty wide open. Allows beginners to learn basic shots without worrying about lost discs. Park dedicated to disc golf course. Well maintained, good combo of new and vintage DGA baskets. Concrete tee-pads make for dry consistent drives. Signs on all holes.
Cons: A bit too short for pros/long drivers. Large amount of Par 3's leaves little room for error. Holes are packed in together so the course can get confusing.(make sure you're on the right hole each time). White tees are concrete, but signs are back at the blues which makes for unnecessary walking back on each hole to check the signs.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this was worth the trip up to Lewiston. We went the day after they mowed so we got grass clippings on our discs after every throw, but at least they're mowing...

Very... quiet

8/4/2007   8/6/2007
Review By: timg
Pros: You'll never run into much of a crowd here. 27 holes.
Cons: Some signs missing, a few baskets in rough shape and a lot of holes play fairly short.
Other Thoughts: JDSP has a pretty decent variety of holes although I'd say most play in the open. Almost all holes have some sort of obstacle to contend with, normally various trees or bushes. There are also a few holes that require a bit of precision through wooded alleys.

My most recent round here stood out as there were more than two people in the entire park. I've played here a few times over the years and I was almost always one of the only people there which is a shame as it's actually a nice park.

I'd probably play here more often if I lived closer but it's definitely not a stand out course as far as challenge, variety or scenery is concerned. It's a solid, fun course that's worth playing at least one round if you're in the area.

The best part of the park

7/21/2007   7/22/2007
Review By: MattK
This review was updated on 7/11/2008
Pros: Twenty-seven baskets provide a good day's workout. This is a course where the landscaping seems groomed for its purpose; trees that appear to have been planted when it was first constructed are maturing. With the exception of the monster hedges that devour discs, the course is pretty forgiving. New, descriptive tee signs were added in late summer of 2007, and the par was updated to 21st century standards.
Cons: It gets a little repetitive after a while, with the course mostly open and flat the same kind of shots get played again and again. The age of the course means that the holes on average tend to be on the short side. The low-lying areas on the 6th, 8th and 18th fairways do not drain very well, resulting in sizable ice rinks in the winter and 8" deep ponds on the course in early spring.
Other Thoughts: The ruins of an old swimming pool and snack bar at the end of the course may once have been the focus of the park. But now, the disc golf course is what puts this park on the map. It is obvious that those who care for the course still take a great deal of pride in it, even after 27 years.