Atlantic Beach, FL

1 2 Next >
 Putter Course

1    9/22/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: mrpbody33
Pros: It has Discatcher baskets and teepads. Multiple teepads and basket positions. The park is beautiful around the lake.
Cons: There is almost no variety in shots and most of the holes are around the 200' mark. Not technically challenging even with the multiple baskets/teepads.
Other Thoughts: So I went to this park with low expectations. I knew I was going to a "technically demanding" course and so I brought my entire bag of tricks with me to the park. Now despite the fact that no one can seem to agree on whether it is Hanna or Hannah park on the signage it was probably one of the worse courses I have played yet. There were trees down across the fairways making it difficult to play or even walk the holes. One giant tree fell across hole 6/15 that make it almost impossible to play. Now if I was on county land I would be a little forgiving but I just paid money to get in. There shouldn't be a tree down in the middle of the course!

Now I have played a few of what I like to call "Roc and Putter" courses. This is not one of is a putter only. You can practically have a putt within the circle on ever basket by just throwing a putter straight up the middle 180 feet. There are few you have to finesse but otherwise extremely easy.

The rest of the park is nice. Disc golf was a complete afterthought and there is so much more land that could have used but sadly wasn't. What this course needs is a dedicated group of golfers to keep it up and maybe it would be fun. Unless you are in the park for another function I wouldn't go out of my way to play this course.

5+    7/10/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: AJ_86
This review was updated on 11/12/2010
Pros: A technically demanding course, this nine hole is a change of pace from the area's two other courses (Ed Austin and Ronnie Van Zant).

Narrow fairways of moderate length require straight throws and the trees are low enough that most holes require shots no higher than six feet off the ground. The first/tenth hole is an exception to this, as you are shooting down an incline.

Two concrete tee boxes are of good size and are numbered 1 through 18, with the forward tees being the front nine and the rear tees being the back nine. Most of the time this is just an increase in distance, but occasionally, the back tees take a different route onto the fairway, altering how you make your tee shot.

Elevation changes. A rarity in Florida, this course does have a few and they are a welcome change from the normal flat courses of the state.

I would say that every hole is a birdie opportunity, from both tees and there are some that are possible aces from the front tees.
Cons: Brush. Heavy amounts of it surround the fairways... so much so that using a green, yellow or mottled brown disk is asking for trouble. Even if you do find it, you will have to contend with many sapling stumps cut off at a couple inches high, leading to some painful steps.

The brush causes another problem, as well. With so much of it, there is little to no breeze except on most of the course and heat tends to be trapped by the trees. This leads to the course becoming a slow cook oven in the Summer... so plan on throwing early in the day in the middle of the year.

The fairways are tunnels at times and I feel a little judicious trimming on some could open it up a bit.

There are a lot of insects and more than a few snakes about, but a little bug spray handles the insects and I've never seen anything worse than a black snake or a common boa on the course. I'd say the spiders are more of a threat than the snakes, by a long shot.
Other Thoughts: The course is challenging for multiple skill levels and can seem unfriendly to new players, but this is not the case.

I took a friend for his very first round of disc golf here and he scored a bogey on every hole, except two. He did suffer a double bogey, but made up for it the very next hole with a birdie. While Ed Austin Park might be a friendly course, new players shouldn't shy away from this course.

There is a fee to get into the park, but I have never seen that as an issue, so long as the course is good enough. And three dollars (even less on weekend mornings, I believe) is well spent on a round here, so I don't consider it a Con.

Technical Course & Lots Of Fun

1    11/28/2009   3/28/2010
Review By: r_thomas
Pros: Lots of fun and challenging shots with some very narrow fairways.
Cons: HEAVILY wooded. Also I found that navigating the course was rather complex for the first few holes. Once I got the hang of it it was not too bad. The tees are rather grown over and sometimes hard to work with but okay. Also... you have to be very careful when looking for your disc in the rough during the summer. Lots of rattlesnakes and banana spiders.

The Spider's Den!

1    6/20/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: My first on the beach type course. This thing is something out of The Jungle Book. All you need is a putter, a midrange, and a decent hyzer/anhyzer disc to get you around the trees.
Cons: BUGS! SPIDERS! GATORS! This is not a course that you want to go and not use bug spray. Also, this could eat a disc or so, so use nothing that is yellow or green.
Other Thoughts: I will go back when I visit family in Jax. Lots of fun, well worth the 3 dollars. This is an old park which is just surreal and interesting.

2-4    2/8/2009   2/8/2009
Review By: CoopDeVille
Pros: Wow!! I enjoyed this course a great deal. I am from Wisconsin and when I got here it was like a fantasy, like being in the middle of the jungle and playing 18 holes. Unique set up (each hole is two holes) Played 9 from long pads and 9 from players choice(mostly long pads) requires perfect execution and control (not for people who only throw 250 feet +) have to helix around crazy leaves trees and vines which made this course of very short holes a challenge to any caliber of golfer.
Cons: DISC EATER, lots of flotsam that needs to be cleared off ground. PLAMS CAN CUT YOUR LEGS. hurts alot if you miss fairway!!! SO DON'T.
Other Thoughts: this course is so beautiful I would have given it a 5, I shot a 3 over (pro par all par 3) This course I would not call easy. But, even if you made the trip here (I drove 19 hours) and you think this course is easy. Its such a sexy course that I think anyone would play them again, if just for sheets and giggles!

Palm leaves!

1    12/6/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: Jonny_Dread
Pros: Dedicated disc golf course. No pedestrians getting in the way. Short and technical. All holes in thick woods with a lot of palm frans to cover your disc if not shot perfectly. Great signage and navigation. Benches at every hole! They have awesome campsites 100ft from the course. Perfect stop for a DG road trip.
Cons: Only 9 baskets but set up for 18 holes (a short 9 and a longer 9). Tight tecinal course. Need some trimming on and around a few of the trees. Short, driver needed only once, at that.
Other Thoughts: Good start for a course. Looks like it will need routine maintenance with tree and palm trimming. Bring a midrange and a putter, maybe a driver... no need to lug the bag on this course. Recommended if passing by the area.

1 2 Next >