Kenai, AK
Kenai Eagle DGC Share
Uploaded By: Steve West Hole #2 (Taken 8/2011)

Best In The Peninsula

- Course map rubber tees
- Signs with distances
- 18 holes
- Bright baskets
- Not a huge variety of hole lengths
- Slight overlapping of fairways
- Some tees in the line of fire of previous hole
- No map on tee signs made for confusion
- Blind tee offs
Kenai Eagle's course holes average out under 300 ft, with mostly spruce trees filling and shaping the fairways. It was short, but not too short. It was challenging, but it didn't rely on luck to navigate the through fairways. I dislike short 18s mostly because I feel a longer 9 holes with multiple tees would be better, on this course you could argue either way. It says there's red and white tees on here, but I only saw one set. Regardless, this course was by far the best in the Kenai/Soldotna area and defiantly the only tournament ready course. Broken glass was an issue around a few baskets, but for the most part, the fairways were clean. I was really loving the rubber mats too.

I think they could do a little better job making the baskets more visible by doing a little tree/branch trimming. The course wasn't especially thick with vegetation, but I still had a hard time figuring out where to throw nonetheless. There were often blind or partially blind views from the tee to basket, even though the fairways were straight and shortish. Some of these holes I had to walk way up the fairway to figure out where to throw to. Also, it would have been nice if more holes had multiple lines instead of what the fairway forces. Another thing I disliked was the proximity between baskets and tee pads, especially on blind shots. Holes 16-18 are good examples of this.

Overall, I had a fun time playing Kenai Eagle. I had been looking for an excuse to finally see what DG was like south of Anchorage. I'm not saying I'd come here just to play the course, but I'd probably make the trip from Anchorage to see what a tournament would be like. If you're already in the area it's defiantly worth checking out.

Somebody cares for this course.

1    8/16/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Steve West
Pros: Well-marked, and maintained, easy to navigate, and lots of shot shaping. Some length variety.
Cons: Some holes are situated too close to other tees or fairways. Not a lot of variety in types of hole.
Other Thoughts: You'll be throwing around and through a lot of trees.

I was there when some blue tees and mandos (some for red, some for blue) were marked with paint. I hope these become permanent.

Overall, it feels like someone squeezed the course into some unused land between the baseball field and the golf course - and did a good job of creating the only kind of course that could go here. I'd like to see what they would do with a more interesting landscape.

DG in the winter!

5+    4/1/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: iamharrythehat
Pros: I have played this course all winter long, one game it was -8. The discs really fly long in the colder air. It is for sure a technical course as a lot of the baskets you can't see from the T-box. We marked our discs with flourescent orange carpenters chalk so we could find them in the snow.
Cons: The out of bounds are really deep thick brush, easy to lose a disc in but I guess that's part of the challenge, stay out of the brush!
Other Thoughts: There is no policing of the area consequently it gets trashed and vandalized. Lots of litter accumulates so we have to carry trash bags with us to help keep it clean.

DG in the land of the midnight sun

2-4    7/16/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: DGWookie
This review was updated on 8/24/2009
Pros: The Kenai Eagle is a great little DGC. It is not a very long course, but accuracy is required. There are a lot of trees to play around and hill ledges to be aware of. One good roller and you're hunting for your disc.

Can easily play two games in a row
Bright yellow topped DISCatcher baskets
Beautiful woodsy course
Not very crowded
Cons: Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes - don't forget the bug spray!!!
Other Thoughts: Be aware of wildlife in the area. The second day I played there was a moose on hole #6. Take your camera, maybe you'll see one too!