Miami (Kendall), FL
Kendall Indian Hammocks Park - West Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #15 (Taken 7/2010)

1    1/8/2014   1/8/2014
Review By: smierzy
Pros: Played this course at 7 am right when park opened - beautiful variety of crooked , gnarly trees , a couple holes could almost play as 4's , although it is primarily flat , some OB and weird angles make this a very good challenge from the back tees - forward tees weren't a HUGE difference but presented different angles of attack on a few . Felt very good with a 52 , baskets are slightly ancient but hold putts well .
Cons: Tons of HS kids as there is a school in the center of complex - some of the pins were hard to spot and hard to determine whether A B or C position - tees were pretty easy to find but required a bit of searching .
Other Thoughts: good idea to copy the map - it WILL help .

Potential to be excellent but falls short in current layout

1    2/2/2012   2/25/2012
Pros: 1) Apparently this is a greatly underappreciated course and does not see the play that the East course gets. A local directed me to the first hole since the original #1 had been removed. It is much longer than the other course overall.

2) Decent variety of foliage density here. It is not super technical because most of the fairways are pretty wide, but it has about the same variety as the East course.

3) Excellent distance variation with a few shorter simple deuces with well executed shots ranging all the way up to a couple bomber holes late on the back 9.

4) Nice Innova Discatchers here . . . the yellow bands help find the baskets and they are numbered so it is even more helpful to distinguish which one to throw too. It helps with routing on this confusing course.

5) There are some very unique basket locations available on #14, and #15 back in the far corner of this course. I am thrilled I eventually found #14 tee as I would have really regretted missing these holes. There are basically some rock formations here where the basket locations go up on these creating some interesting terrain and possible goofy rollaway putts. I did not anticipate something so cool and unique after the first 14 holes on this course.

6) I really enjoyed the middle holes on this course and #18 . . .they were good holes and fun to throw.

7) Beginner friendly course because 1/3rd of the holes are fairly wide with minimal chance to lose your disc plsu overall the rest of the holes are fairly shot.
Cons: 1) Where did the nice signs shown in the course photos go? Those are awesome . . . I love that they were basically handmade and hand drawn almost architecturally. Being a landscaper I can appreciate the work that went into them.

2) Paver tees mixed with concrete at times again. They are also a little bit short in my opinion.

3) A few places where walkers through the park might be in danger. Be careful when you throw and yell if you are headed towards them.

4) Routing was a little goofy . . . I did not expect the walk through the woods to be so long . . . why not throw in a densely wooded hole or two in there to increase the variety. Maybe there was a reason they didn't want holes in the woods, but I would have preferred that. Also no sign directing you to walk all the way through the woods to get to the next tee, but we figured it out eventually. Then you have to do it again from 17 to 18 . . .wierd!! The other goofy spot is after #13 you are supposed to cross the road and follow your way down the fenceline to a tiny opening in the fence to get to #14. A sin would have been much appreciated here because I ended up walking all the way around the maintenance building and down the walking trail to come out near the basket on #14. Just a nightmare for a first timer or traveler.

5) Talk about boring repetitive filler holes . . . 3, 4, and 5 plus 16 and 17.

6) Distance is the primary challenge on half of the holes which is pretty boring.
Other Thoughts: Overall if they were able to take advantage of some more of the dense woods instead of having 5 very similar feeling holes (3, 4, 5, 16, 17). These holes all play down a big sewer easement and the fairways are wide and not much excitement. The rest of the holes are fun in their own regards and if they could have had 18 good holes here I would say this course could be better than the East course. I had fun, but was frustrated with the routing and lack of signs and directionals.

Nice Course

1    3/5/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: The Sign Post
Pros: Nice mixture of holes, pleasant day in the park.
Cons: You'll get lost without a map.
(maybe even with one)

Other Thoughts: I liked this course. I found a map online, (and uploaded it here). We were in Miami for a day, and wanted to get a taste of the locale. Worth playing.

Spider Surprise

1    7/14/2010   7/14/2010
Review By: gottafixit
Pros: - Fun mixture of holes, short and long
- Nice easy to spot Innova baskets
- Detailed tee signs when available
- Tee posts highly visible
- Defined tee area with toe board or pavers
Cons: - Course map on kiosk would be great take with even better
- Finding hole one was a bit of a challenge
- Walks between 5 and 6, and 17 and 18
- General navigation could use some aids
- No score card like for the East side

- For some the mass amounts of spiders might be a con as they and their webs are every where(don't look up)
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course more than the east side. I started on 6 as that is the easiest spot I found to start, however I had spotted what turned out to be 1's basket while playing 18 east so I knew where to go look later. 1, 6-15, and 18 I felt were a great mix of holes and really used what the park hard to offer. The road coming into play on a few holes as OB made for a nice challenge. The natural tees were in good shape and marked by a toe board or pavers, however they were not always right next to the numbered post(none were hard to spot, 9's is on the side walk). Navigating from hole to hole I didn't find too difficult as the tee posts and tee signs(when available) are quite visible, however some directional arrows would help. The one spot that had me second guessing a little was 13 to 14. If you look across the street toward the office you will see a blue arrow, walk past it to the back right corner of the fence area behind the parking lot and you will find the path to holes 14-17. After 17 you follow the trail to the right threw the woods back to 6 and 18's tees. I then went in search of holes 1-5. Having seen a basket from 18 east's tee I started there and found hole 1 just on the other side of the hedge behind 18 east's fairway. Holes 1-5 loop back around to the same open long strip as 16,17 and then you follow the same path back again to 6/18. Hole 1 was in it's right side position and the second half of the fairway was extremely over grown so much that I threw back over into 18 east's fairway to avoid it. Holes 4, 5, 16, and 17 I felt were filler holes or not that exciting, although these are some of the longer holes on the course they are mostly just that long. It seemed as there were a good bit of alt pins and some looked really fun adding elevated putts or some other fun features that could make for a nice regular change for a local.

Over all this was a really fun course, and If played in the right order the long open holes(4,5,16,17) might not seem so repetitive. I would love to see this course have a overall map of both courses on the kiosk, and then supply take with map/scorecards for players as this would take care of most navigation and signage issues. It would also be nice to see the missing or damaged tee signs get replaced or come up with another way to list par, distance, and position at the tees. Navigation could also be aided with some arrows or painted rungs on the basket to point to the next tees. I would have liked to have rated this course higher but it is lacking a few essentials that it needs to climb the ranks. Even with it's flaws if you add this course in with the East course they make for a nice day of FL disc golf.

Course Does Have Signs

1    12/7/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: amanandhisdiscs
Pros: - the 'back 18', how often do you get that?
- course winds in a Giant Figure 8 pattern throughout the park
Cons: - shots are not as varied as the front 18
- course can be confusing at times, as the signs do not deptict where the next whole begins
- signs are not always next to pad, leading to confusion
- tees are very spread out
Other Thoughts: Navigating this course may be a little bit more challenging then the front, but it still makes for a good time

Couldn't find all the holes

1    7/27/2008   7/27/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: Indian Hammocks park has 2 courses in it.
Cons: The big problem with the west course is that there are no maps and no good tee signs. You can find a few holes at this course but if you're not a local or with a local who has played the course then you can't find your way around. The holes that I did find and play were all next to the park roads. This course is also in a multi use park. The position of this course seems to be in a more well used portion of the park. If the park is crowded I think there would be a possibility of injury due to discs hitting people.I spent about 20 miutes looking around for holes and then got frusterated because I couldn't find them. For that reason alone I can't rank this course any better than poor.
Other Thoughts: The east course at this park is much easier to find and get from hole to hole. Start with that one if your playing here.

A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.