Douglasville, GA

5+    4/17/2016   4/22/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Has concrete tee pads

Has tee signs

Has updated baskets (pictures here don't do it justice)

Has alternate basket placements for some holes

Has some benches throughout course

Course flows pretty well except for between holes #9 & #10

Has good mix of wooded and open fairways

Most holes have changes in elevations

Free Parking

Some of the wooded fairways are narrow and can be quite unfair such as holes #4, #7, #8

Hole #14 has a swing near the fairway if the basket is in the long position

Course can get crowded with other parkgoers which can interfere in playing hole #14
Course was renumbered back in 2013 so some of the earlier reviews could be misleading.
As noted in my course conditions update, construction of a new animal control center broke ground in March 2016 and has affected holes #1, #2, #5, #6, and #9. If wasn't for the construction, I would rate this a point higher. Hopefully, this course gets redesigned as it's one of my favorites to play and it's a short drive from nearby Boundary Waters Park. The park is very popular with parkgoers but you won't really come into contact with them until holes #11-14.

One Of the Really Good Ones

1    2/13/2016   2/13/2016
Review By: TroyBurns
Pros: Take the second entrance to the park past the official signage. This is where hole 1 and 18 are located. Drive to end of the parking lot to your right after you enter the ark. You will see the practice basket and the tee pad for 1 is just behind it towards the first park entrance with signage. Hole 2 is located across the entrance driveway/ Cross the old dilapidated putt putt course and go behind the batting cages. The tee is on the sidewalk before you go up the steps to the skateboard park.

The course is really well varied with several par 4's. As a solid am player I scored 65 on my first round here. The wooded holes are challenging, but the paths are there if you can turn your disc.
Cons: Not going to complain. Came her alone, met new friends, had a great day on the course . Only would have been better if I hit the other two birdie ops and didnt get three fives on the par fours
Other Thoughts: A new favorite ATL Metro course - Enjoy ...CHEENGZ!

Diverse course

1    11/7/2015   11/7/2015
Review By: Moose33
This review was updated on 2/4/2016
Pros: Deer Lick is a very solid overall course in a multi use park not far from downtown Douglasville.

Ample parking is available as well as a practice basket and map near the parking area.

Teepads are enormous and gritty. I really liked them. Signage is good but a few need to be updated. Next tee signs are abundant and very helpful.

There are some cool elevated baskets, tunnel shots, wooded to open/vice versa and just a great mix overall.

Big well built benches on most holes and some interesting natural elements(water, rocks etc.)
Cons: The navigation is not great, long walk between one and two is weird and advises you to go through a building. It was locked.

The next tee signs are helpful but very small. They are screwed into trees on what appears to be outlet covers.

The course I have few gripes with, it's pretty solid.

Some of the other aspects of the park detract greatly though.

There is put put and batting cages which could be cool, but they are in such disrepair that they are hazardous.

Which is odd because parts of the dog park and playground are new and awesome looking. So obviously the idea was they would be self sustaining and it failed.

Need to fix it or pull it.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course that I will be playing next time I'm close. The minor cons withstanding this isnangood course where you won't be easily bored.

Long bombs, short tunnels, good baskets.

Also it appears a club or at least some dedicated individuals help care for this park.

Thank you for making it a good place to play.

1    7/21/2015   7/21/2015
Review By: DonSavory
Pros: Good mix. Some technical and a couple bombers and a few short ones for a good chance at an ace. I like woods and this has plenty of that but has some fun clear ones, too.
Cons: The one to two pad is a bit odd, and a few other tee pads are difficult to find. There is a sense of incompletion because the maps show two sets of pads for each hole when there is only one.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the cons keep from going. This is a fun course and is pretty friendly for beginners most of the time but gives some great challenging lines for experienced players, too.

It's pretty good for what available

2-4    12/30/2013   12/31/2013
Review By: BSumners
Pros: Decently maintained. Fair mix of variety.
Cons: Terrible transition from hole one to two. They want you to walk through a building to get there, but most everyone will walk across the miniature golf course. There are no garbage cans at all, as a result you see garbage on the tees. There are some significant walks between one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: Overall a pretty good course. Hole 15 is beautiful.

Great Multi-use park for DG

1    1/24/2013   1/29/2013
Review By: Bencybul
Pros: The course itself offers a good bit of diversity of shots that are required. I found myself reaching in my bag more than once in order to play a different shot than expected in a typical course layout.

The park itself is well kept and seems to have a lot of other activities if you haven't yet convinced your family that dg is the greatest thing to do. No tall grass or trash scattered around.

I really liked hole 4 and hole 13. Personal opinion, but I think that the layout of these holes was intriguing.

Signage was great and the mixture of gravel/ sand/ concrete pads were all well kept and for the most part rather large.
Cons: Some holes seem to be just a touch too tight and technical. I am sure if I had the opportunity to play the course more often I could learn some local routes that may improve my scores, but as it stood I was cursing some tight turns.

I did not see any trash cans throughout the course. I stated in the pros that there was no trash, but it did mean holding on to that empty gatorade for the remainder of the round.

Side note: I hate any living thing with wings. I had to stop a few waterfowl from jumping the box on me on 1 and 3
Other Thoughts: I played at 4:45 on a Friday. There was NO foot traffic on the course or otherwise. Because of how many offerings the park has I can understand that it would get backed up due to people enjoying the park.
When you enter the park follow along the entry road and park in the parallel parking spots behind the drainpipe. The rec center supplied me with a comprehensive map that even had brief descriptions of each hole. ( The map would be great for beginners, even though the course plays a great deal more difficult than others in the area.)
There was a tee pad marked 5A? It appeared to point to a recently cleared area but no basket as of yet.

Decent course

1    11/21/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: Gilpinfreak
Pros: Great signage, good "next tee" markings, wide range of shot types, open and wooded holes.
Cons: Some tee shots are quite difficult even for experienced players, no real clear fairways
Other Thoughts: Previous reviews mentioned poor signage. There are currently great signs on each tee. Pro / Con ( you decide) mixed tees. I am ok that there are different types of tees. Great park overall for multiple sports.

Incredibly Underrated

1    10/27/2012   11/2/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: This course has a mix of natural and concrete, but the natural tees were extremely effective and I noticed no difference.

An excellent amount of shot variety with a great blend of distances.

The disc golf course is pretty isolated from the rest of the park activities.

Good next tee signs.
Cons: A couple trees could be removed on some of the holes to make slightly more fair gaps.

It would be NICE to have uniform tees although as previously stated I didn't notice a difference, maybe just more from an aesthetic standpoint.

Other Thoughts: I can't quite place my finger on why white oak is the higher rated course of the two. I came in with pretty much 0 expectations because I did enjoy white oak earlier in the day.

I also didn't deal with any of the problems prerube had. I'm assuming he played on a day where it had rained or had rained previously in the week. So yeah, tee pads are probably going to be kinda messy for natural tees, that should be expected. The park was also not busy when we played, there were some people walking but they were never in danger.

We started on hole 8 because we pulled into the wrong entrance, it was a pretty standard hole, but once hole 9 puts you in the hoods for a couple, this course totally blew me away!

I thought that maybe minus hole 9(which I had a really sick ace run on, although mostly lucky :D) the holes were all very fair, the gaps were plenty wide of executing shots.

I'm assuming that they have added next tee signs fairly recently due to them being in nice shape, and other people complaining about navigation.

Sure, there's a couple long winding holes, but people need to have realistic expectations, you can't always throw your destroyer off the tee. A birdie is realistically obtainable on every hole by playing placement shots and playing smart golf.

It's definitely a preference thing, but if you're in the area, this is the course I would play. It's much more polished than white oak. Both were enjoyable courses though, with extremely contrasting styles of play, allowing for a really nice day of disc golf had by all.

Popular park, feels like 2 seperate 9 holers

1    4/1/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: There are concrete tees on some of the holes.
Hole 4 was the best hole on the front 9, shady, wooded, and good use of water.
tons of non-disc golf activities for the family including batting cages, putt putt golf, and more.
back 9 is far superior to the front nine, more wooded, longer and interesting. (many say it is too tight and unfair, but I liked it)
Holes 13 and 14 were fun shots 300 feet over a valley and 400 feet through the woods.
Bathrooms available
Some elevation used, hole 16 is the most memorable use of elevation.
Cons: Navigation is an issue: finding hole 9 is a very common issue, it was on the edge of the opposite side of the putt putt course.
Park is very busy: 3 plays between a road and a busy walkway, on hole 7 I had to wait six minutes for a group of picnicers to get out of the way.
Hole 8 had road on the left which could be a safety concern.
inconsistent tee pads: 1 was concrete while hole 5 was a slippery, muddy, clay pad.
holes 17 and 18 were cramped and very similar.
Other Thoughts: I hear many people talk about the front 9 as the better 9, but it was so crowded that if I were local, I would come and play the back 9 twice. Hole 4 would be the only hole I would miss. Maybe if I were alone when I played the front 9 I could give this course a 3.5, but I had to shape my shots around people, not the course.

Got Licked

1    12/29/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: This is a very well thought out course. Plenty of trees, and chances to use just about all the shots in the bag !!! #3 seems a little weird with the swinging bench in the way up high, or if you stay low on the fairway, you have the walkway and the lake just waiting for a stray shot !!! #16 is still kinda a mess, even though I never saw it before the ( clean up ) !!!
Cons: A sign directing you to the # 9 tee would be helpful for first timers. And a final leveling, scraping and grass planting on #16 would really be a nice final touch to a great layout !!!
Other Thoughts: I love this course, and will be back many times I'm sure !!!

< Prev 1 2 3 4