Douglasville, GA
Deer Lick Park Share
Uploaded By: crawdad
Entrance by #6 Basket

It's pretty good for what available

2-4    12/30/2013   12/31/2013
Review By: BSumners
Pros: Decently maintained. Fair mix of variety.
Cons: Terrible transition from hole one to two. They want you to walk through a building to get there, but most everyone will walk across the miniature golf course. There are no garbage cans at all, as a result you see garbage on the tees. There are some significant walks between one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: Overall a pretty good course. Hole 15 is beautiful.

Great Multi-use park for DG

1    1/24/2013   1/29/2013
Review By: Bencybul
Pros: The course itself offers a good bit of diversity of shots that are required. I found myself reaching in my bag more than once in order to play a different shot than expected in a typical course layout.

The park itself is well kept and seems to have a lot of other activities if you haven't yet convinced your family that dg is the greatest thing to do. No tall grass or trash scattered around.

I really liked hole 4 and hole 13. Personal opinion, but I think that the layout of these holes was intriguing.

Signage was great and the mixture of gravel/ sand/ concrete pads were all well kept and for the most part rather large.
Cons: Some holes seem to be just a touch too tight and technical. I am sure if I had the opportunity to play the course more often I could learn some local routes that may improve my scores, but as it stood I was cursing some tight turns.

I did not see any trash cans throughout the course. I stated in the pros that there was no trash, but it did mean holding on to that empty gatorade for the remainder of the round.

Side note: I hate any living thing with wings. I had to stop a few waterfowl from jumping the box on me on 1 and 3
Other Thoughts: I played at 4:45 on a Friday. There was NO foot traffic on the course or otherwise. Because of how many offerings the park has I can understand that it would get backed up due to people enjoying the park.
When you enter the park follow along the entry road and park in the parallel parking spots behind the drainpipe. The rec center supplied me with a comprehensive map that even had brief descriptions of each hole. ( The map would be great for beginners, even though the course plays a great deal more difficult than others in the area.)
There was a tee pad marked 5A? It appeared to point to a recently cleared area but no basket as of yet.

Popular park, feels like 2 seperate 9 holers

1    4/1/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: There are concrete tees on some of the holes.
Hole 4 was the best hole on the front 9, shady, wooded, and good use of water.
tons of non-disc golf activities for the family including batting cages, putt putt golf, and more.
back 9 is far superior to the front nine, more wooded, longer and interesting. (many say it is too tight and unfair, but I liked it)
Holes 13 and 14 were fun shots 300 feet over a valley and 400 feet through the woods.
Bathrooms available
Some elevation used, hole 16 is the most memorable use of elevation.
Cons: Navigation is an issue: finding hole 9 is a very common issue, it was on the edge of the opposite side of the putt putt course.
Park is very busy: 3 plays between a road and a busy walkway, on hole 7 I had to wait six minutes for a group of picnicers to get out of the way.
Hole 8 had road on the left which could be a safety concern.
inconsistent tee pads: 1 was concrete while hole 5 was a slippery, muddy, clay pad.
holes 17 and 18 were cramped and very similar.
Other Thoughts: I hear many people talk about the front 9 as the better 9, but it was so crowded that if I were local, I would come and play the back 9 twice. Hole 4 would be the only hole I would miss. Maybe if I were alone when I played the front 9 I could give this course a 3.5, but I had to shape my shots around people, not the course.

Deer Licker

1    2/11/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: do you juju
Pros: Playing through a multi-activity park, this course offers the chance to see all ends of the grounds while having the opportunity to knock some birdies down. The course at Deer Lick does a great job of mixing up the types of shots you have to throw while popping in and out of the woods. Several holes are under 250 feet and have minimal objects in your way which give you the chance at a few ace runs. The length and variety of holes makes this course one I will have to play again.
Cons: Not every tee pad had a sign indicating basket placement or distance, which can be irritating if you havent played the course before. Having concrete tee pads is a luxury and is often taken for granted, so take advantage of them at this course when they are available, otherwise you are dealing with playing on dirt or grass tees. I enjoy playing holes in the woods, and I also accept the challenge of courses that are only in the thick tree fairways. But a few holes are extremely tight consistently along the fairway and can be difficult to beginner players. Without playing the course before hand it can be pretty tough to navigate.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has a nice mixture of lengthy holes, wooded ones, and wide open shots that plays throughout this fantastic park. Maybe mini golf could make the schedule next time I'm at the park, as they do have a course on the grounds. The front nine holes are more open and are definitely easier to birdie, but the back nine really test your precision.

I got Deer Lick'd

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: A huge variety of holes and terrain. The front 9 has been described as almost like being in a different park on each hole and it is pretty accurate. The front 9 also features some pretty nice tee pads.
The course is also a true challenge, there are very few gimme's out here, you have to work for all your pars and really work for the deuces.
Cons: The back 9 is just violent. Long, twisty mini fairways through the woods at 400'. Very unforgiving.
Long walks at points make a tough round even tougher in the heat.
Good luck without a map, so print it...or wander aimlessly.
Other Thoughts: I would rate the front 9 a 4 and the back 9 a 2.5 so you end up with 3.25 which I feel is a good fair score. The back 9 could be a little more fair, but it is do-able, but I would say you have just as good a chance at a 5 as you do a 3. I would have liked to have seen better signage, without the map we printed from here we would've been lost.

Hole 4, Hole 8, Hole 9 are awesome, 12 and 13 are nice, 15 is not bad either...there really are not a lot of "bad" holes but a lot of holes that will just take your belt off and smack you with it mercilessly.

This is a good course in a great park with a ton of amenities. It is definitely not a beginner course and it will make you feel right awful if you try to take it on and don't have the skills.

Deer Lick

1    3/29/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: Psalman
Pros: I really enjoyed the front nine. It's almost too easy. Average players have a great chance of making a birdie. Pros will be way under par.

#1, 2 and 6 are great Hole-in-One opportunities.
#8 and 16 have awesome wide open tee shots.
#13 is a great short hole with an elevated tee and pin.
Cons: Finding your way around the first time is difficult. Bring a map! The tees are marked by a 4x4 post sticking out of the ground. The tee pads are natural, but in good condition. I don't remember any benches.

The fairway on the wooded holes (10, 11, 14, 15) are very narrow. They are similar to Oregon Park's Coffin Hole (#6) or McCurry Park's Hole from Hell (#2). The surrounding trees are new growth and are could easily be cut down to enhance the playability of these holes.

My score would be a point higher if navigation and these holes were improved.
Other Thoughts: There is a refreshment stand between 8 and 9. It was closed when I was there on a weekday. There is also a skate park, batting cages, and putt-putt course.

Park behind the lake. #1 is between the road and lake. There's a gas station or two between I-20 and the park to get snacks or drinks.

Deer LICK

1    4/28/2010   3/23/2009
Review By: Fender088
This review was updated on 4/28/2010
Pros: Good 18 hole course between Atlanta and Carrollton. I would definitely go a few miles out of my way to play this one again. The course is located in a well-maintained park that also contains a pond, a walking track, and a putt-putt course to add to the surroundings. Many of the first holes have concrete tees and signs. Some holes have multiple tees, but there isn't much consistency. There is a decent amount of variation among the holes. I counted a good mix of wooded and open holes, as well as differences in distance. If you like ping pong holes then about 1/3 of the course is just for you!
Cons: Some of the holes are in dire need of maps because the basket is located out of sight. If you haven't played this course before, you might want to allot yourself some extra time to look for the baskets, or if you know a local that would be ideal. If you don't care for ping pong holes then you might get a little frustrated with some of the holes. Accuracy is better than power for these. I also didn't like the fact that a few of the first holes played very close to pedestrian walkways. This can make newer players nervous and interfere with drives, but it's even more of a risk for the pedestrians that aren't even aware that disc golf exists.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. I got to let a few rip, but the majority of the holes called for accuracy over power. The first few holes do a great job of incorporating a seasonal creek. That probably impressed me the most out of the entire course. This isn't really a con, but I felt that the back 9 were a little rushed and less thoughtful than the front 9. There was a decent amount of land to work with back there, but a few of those ping pong holes were just too far fetched for my taste.

Deerlick

5+    8/21/2008   2/21/2009
Review By: reggaB
This review was updated on 11/12/2010
Pros: Nice mix of shots required. Much better since they redesigned the original layout which was a joke. Never very crowded even on the weekends. Drinks and restroom available near hole 8/9 (when its open) at the skatepark area. Has some real holes where placement counts more than distance to score well.
Cons: Course does not flow well, very easy to get lost without a map. Example would be after hole 8 you have to walk across the putt putt course to get to the next tee. The first 3 holes are sometimes hard to play when the weather is nice due to all the park goers. They have even been known to park on the tee pads for hole 1 and 3. During the summer some of the woods holes get a little overgrown.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, I would stop by and play this course. It is one of only a few on the west side of Atlanta.

Deer Lick Park

2-4    12/8/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: warren1086
This review was updated on 5/17/2009
Pros: Nice mix of distances, not much walking between holes on the front 9 or so. Good mix of terrain. Course flows fairly well until you get towards the back half. Clean park and there are security guards patrolling the park, but they can give you parking tickets so watch out. Great variety of difficulties with holes, some easy and some tough. Holes 3 and 4 play with some water so watch out especially on 3 with big pond on left. Has a "pro shop" and sign says they have discs 4 sale but I didn't see any but they do have drink and snack machines also has restrooms too btwn 9 and 10? I think. You can use most of the discs in your bag cause this course is very diverse and you can use just about every type of throw you know on this course.
Cons: The newer holes which I guess are the back 9 or so are designed pretty poorly in my opinion. Either they are very wooded or no obstacles at all. No clean shots in the wooded holes, and by this I mean even with a great or decent tee shot you still wont have any line of view to see the basket. Course was pretty busy on the weekend with little kids on some fairways and what not. The front 9 are manageable without a map but the back definitely aren't unless you are with someone who has played before.
Other Thoughts: I like the front 9 a lot but once I got past the pro shop the course just didn't seem fun to me. well at least not as much as the front. Hole 4 was awesome I like the creek that comes to play cause even if you get into trouble it is usually shallow enough to fish your disc out. The back 9 either need to be cleaned up a little bit or moved around. They have plenty of land to play with on the back but w/e. Over all decent course not worth a long drive to but if you're in the area it is worth a visit.

A Course in Need of Some Work

7/30/2008   7/31/2008
Review By: sfeather
Pros: The park folks were very friendly, and with 2 or three park police cruising around, we felt very safe. The original front nine holes are great. Holes 1 and 2 are rather easy. 3 brings some water risk with the pond on the left (mind the goose droppings). Hole 4 is beautiful. It was a tough hole. I took the high risk and ended up in the drink.

The "Pro" shop between 8 and 9 is a great idea, with drink machines and air conditioned eating area.
Cons: - Neither office had a course map (glad we had the one from here)
- Without a map, good luck. Back nine is totally unmarked.
- Where is the 12th basket? Oh, over the hill, left in the treeline.
- Where is the 17th tee? Out of the field, down the hill, into the woods, hang a left.
- Holes 10, 11 are a loggers nightmare.
- Hole 16 should be a par 4 and who puts a 20 foot tall log pile in a fairway?
- Basket numbers need to be replaced as they are worn and difficult to make out at distance.
Other Thoughts: The entire site feels like 2 nine hole courses instead of a single 18. A player goes from an enjoyable front nine to a back nine that feels like it may never end.

If you are visiting Atlanta to play some disc golf, there are other, prettier courses to visit before this one.