Douglasville, GA
Deer Lick Park Share
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #17

< Prev 1 2 3 4
It's pretty good for what available

2-4    12/30/2013   12/31/2013
Review By: BSumners
Pros: Decently maintained. Fair mix of variety.
Cons: Terrible transition from hole one to two. They want you to walk through a building to get there, but most everyone will walk across the miniature golf course. There are no garbage cans at all, as a result you see garbage on the tees. There are some significant walks between one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: Overall a pretty good course. Hole 15 is beautiful.

Great Multi-use park for DG

1    1/24/2013   1/29/2013
Review By: Bencybul
Pros: The course itself offers a good bit of diversity of shots that are required. I found myself reaching in my bag more than once in order to play a different shot than expected in a typical course layout.

The park itself is well kept and seems to have a lot of other activities if you haven't yet convinced your family that dg is the greatest thing to do. No tall grass or trash scattered around.

I really liked hole 4 and hole 13. Personal opinion, but I think that the layout of these holes was intriguing.

Signage was great and the mixture of gravel/ sand/ concrete pads were all well kept and for the most part rather large.
Cons: Some holes seem to be just a touch too tight and technical. I am sure if I had the opportunity to play the course more often I could learn some local routes that may improve my scores, but as it stood I was cursing some tight turns.

I did not see any trash cans throughout the course. I stated in the pros that there was no trash, but it did mean holding on to that empty gatorade for the remainder of the round.

Side note: I hate any living thing with wings. I had to stop a few waterfowl from jumping the box on me on 1 and 3
Other Thoughts: I played at 4:45 on a Friday. There was NO foot traffic on the course or otherwise. Because of how many offerings the park has I can understand that it would get backed up due to people enjoying the park.
When you enter the park follow along the entry road and park in the parallel parking spots behind the drainpipe. The rec center supplied me with a comprehensive map that even had brief descriptions of each hole. ( The map would be great for beginners, even though the course plays a great deal more difficult than others in the area.)
There was a tee pad marked 5A? It appeared to point to a recently cleared area but no basket as of yet.

Decent course

1    11/21/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: Gilpinfreak
Pros: Great signage, good "next tee" markings, wide range of shot types, open and wooded holes.
Cons: Some tee shots are quite difficult even for experienced players, no real clear fairways
Other Thoughts: Previous reviews mentioned poor signage. There are currently great signs on each tee. Pro / Con ( you decide) mixed tees. I am ok that there are different types of tees. Great park overall for multiple sports.

Incredibly Underrated

1    10/27/2012   11/2/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: This course has a mix of natural and concrete, but the natural tees were extremely effective and I noticed no difference.

An excellent amount of shot variety with a great blend of distances.

The disc golf course is pretty isolated from the rest of the park activities.

Good next tee signs.
Cons: A couple trees could be removed on some of the holes to make slightly more fair gaps.

It would be NICE to have uniform tees although as previously stated I didn't notice a difference, maybe just more from an aesthetic standpoint.

Other Thoughts: I can't quite place my finger on why white oak is the higher rated course of the two. I came in with pretty much 0 expectations because I did enjoy white oak earlier in the day.

I also didn't deal with any of the problems prerube had. I'm assuming he played on a day where it had rained or had rained previously in the week. So yeah, tee pads are probably going to be kinda messy for natural tees, that should be expected. The park was also not busy when we played, there were some people walking but they were never in danger.

We started on hole 8 because we pulled into the wrong entrance, it was a pretty standard hole, but once hole 9 puts you in the hoods for a couple, this course totally blew me away!

I thought that maybe minus hole 9(which I had a really sick ace run on, although mostly lucky :D) the holes were all very fair, the gaps were plenty wide of executing shots.

I'm assuming that they have added next tee signs fairly recently due to them being in nice shape, and other people complaining about navigation.

Sure, there's a couple long winding holes, but people need to have realistic expectations, you can't always throw your destroyer off the tee. A birdie is realistically obtainable on every hole by playing placement shots and playing smart golf.

It's definitely a preference thing, but if you're in the area, this is the course I would play. It's much more polished than white oak. Both were enjoyable courses though, with extremely contrasting styles of play, allowing for a really nice day of disc golf had by all.

Popular park, feels like 2 seperate 9 holers

1    4/1/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: There are concrete tees on some of the holes.
Hole 4 was the best hole on the front 9, shady, wooded, and good use of water.
tons of non-disc golf activities for the family including batting cages, putt putt golf, and more.
back 9 is far superior to the front nine, more wooded, longer and interesting. (many say it is too tight and unfair, but I liked it)
Holes 13 and 14 were fun shots 300 feet over a valley and 400 feet through the woods.
Bathrooms available
Some elevation used, hole 16 is the most memorable use of elevation.
Cons: Navigation is an issue: finding hole 9 is a very common issue, it was on the edge of the opposite side of the putt putt course.
Park is very busy: 3 plays between a road and a busy walkway, on hole 7 I had to wait six minutes for a group of picnicers to get out of the way.
Hole 8 had road on the left which could be a safety concern.
inconsistent tee pads: 1 was concrete while hole 5 was a slippery, muddy, clay pad.
holes 17 and 18 were cramped and very similar.
Other Thoughts: I hear many people talk about the front 9 as the better 9, but it was so crowded that if I were local, I would come and play the back 9 twice. Hole 4 would be the only hole I would miss. Maybe if I were alone when I played the front 9 I could give this course a 3.5, but I had to shape my shots around people, not the course.

Got Licked

1    12/29/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: New2Disc
Pros: This is a very well thought out course. Plenty of trees, and chances to use just about all the shots in the bag !!! #3 seems a little weird with the swinging bench in the way up high, or if you stay low on the fairway, you have the walkway and the lake just waiting for a stray shot !!! #16 is still kinda a mess, even though I never saw it before the ( clean up ) !!!
Cons: A sign directing you to the # 9 tee would be helpful for first timers. And a final leveling, scraping and grass planting on #16 would really be a nice final touch to a great layout !!!
Other Thoughts: I love this course, and will be back many times I'm sure !!!

Nice! Well worth the drive.

1    11/26/2011   11/26/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
Pros: Layout - The course makes great use of area within park. The holes are laid out well and the course is pretty easy to navigate.
Shot selection - I will have to say that this is one of the few courses that is very well balanced for both right and left handed players. I also liked the mix of wooded and open holes.
Park - Seems like a great park. Lots to do and well maintained.
Cons: My only real issue would be the two finishing holes 17 and 18. They seem kind of cramped compared to the other holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought that this was a great course. Hole 3 was a nice challenge with the water to the left but not a huge issue to worry too much about losing a disc. My favorite hole had to be 4, can't throw to high and the basket is guarded by the stream. The wooded fairways on this course are nice and the brush has been cleared. Overall I didn't have high expectations for this course but it far exceeded them and made the trip worth it.

Deer Lick does the job

1    10/25/2011   10/26/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Deer Lick Park is a nice recreational park that hosts a very good disc golf course as well as a miniature golf course, batting cages, ball fields, walking trails, a community garden, a pond and more. The disc golf course is fun and challenging, with holes featuring a good mixture of wooded and open fairways that are varying lengths, and nice elevation changes and a couple of water hazards. Constant changes give new looks from one part of the course to the next. The tee pads are mostly natural, but in good condition. They all have signs showing the distance. All baskets were in place and in fair condition.
Cons: The layout of the course was sort of disjointed, so a map may come in handy. I missed the transition from 8 to 9, where you cross the mini golf course and tee off next to the batting cages. There are places where other park users near the disc golf course, so be cautious.
Other Thoughts: Deer Lick Park is a versatile and unique course that is certainly worth checking out. It may not be a total stunner, but it is a high quality course that I would be happy to play regularly. There are opportunities to shoot under par, but the OB and wooded fairways can add strokes quickly.

I play here all the time

5+    4/9/2013   7/9/2011
Review By: Dsplayname
This review was updated on 4/11/2013
Pros: As far as permanent courses go, this is one of the closer ones to Atlanta. It only takes about 30 minutes for me to get there from Midtown.
It's a nice, well seasoned course with a fair mix of holes.
It has never been crowded when I have played, and the people that I have seen all have great course etiquette.
The mix of shots and distances makes this a good challenge for just about everyone.
The course is always well maintained, and the bugs are minimal.
Some really tough lines out there for the risk-takers, but the fairways are pretty clearly defined.
With the revised layout, the course seems to flow better. It still has distinct sections to it, with different styles of play necessary for each section.
Parking/practice basket/start of course from the segregated lot is nice, especially during baseball/football seasons.
I see a lot of people doing other activities around the park, but have never had an issue with crowding on the course.
Cons: Some would say that the mixed tee pads are a con, but they are all maintained well.
There could be more trash cans on the course, but it is exceedingly rare to see a course with cans, and have them emptied regularly. I'd rather haul my own trash than tee off near a can full of beer cans and bees.
There a a couple "filler" holes that don't require much skill, but they are also a good balance for players who don't throw 400 feet and still want a birdie.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. It's not the most challenging one I've played by far, but it is interesting and always keep me pushing myself to do better.
The use of open spaces and elevation are pretty good here and there's not really a huge advantage for the 400+ foot drivers. It's a nice, quite park for a casual round of disc golf. If you consider the other options close to Atlanta, I believe it's one of the better ones to play. White Oak isn't too far away from here, so if you have the time and energy, play both. This isn't a championship level course, but it is entirely worth playing and highly enjoyable.

Was not impressed

1    7/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: sdervan
Pros: I love the sport so I'm just glad that they had a course.
Cons: Signage was terrible.
Layout didn't make sense
Some holes didn't even have lines that were discernible.
Some holes had HUGE walks between.
It was a frustrating course.
Other Thoughts: It was have probably been more enjoyable with a local.
probably a descent round for a newbie.

< Prev 1 2 3 4