Douglasville, GA
Deer Lick Park Share
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #12

Nice! Well worth the drive.

1    11/26/2011   11/26/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
Pros: Layout - The course makes great use of area within park. The holes are laid out well and the course is pretty easy to navigate.
Shot selection - I will have to say that this is one of the few courses that is very well balanced for both right and left handed players. I also liked the mix of wooded and open holes.
Park - Seems like a great park. Lots to do and well maintained.
Cons: My only real issue would be the two finishing holes 17 and 18. They seem kind of cramped compared to the other holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought that this was a great course. Hole 3 was a nice challenge with the water to the left but not a huge issue to worry too much about losing a disc. My favorite hole had to be 4, can't throw to high and the basket is guarded by the stream. The wooded fairways on this course are nice and the brush has been cleared. Overall I didn't have high expectations for this course but it far exceeded them and made the trip worth it.

Deer Lick does the job

1    10/25/2011   10/26/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Deer Lick Park is a nice recreational park that hosts a very good disc golf course as well as a miniature golf course, batting cages, ball fields, walking trails, a community garden, a pond and more. The disc golf course is fun and challenging, with holes featuring a good mixture of wooded and open fairways that are varying lengths, and nice elevation changes and a couple of water hazards. Constant changes give new looks from one part of the course to the next. The tee pads are mostly natural, but in good condition. They all have signs showing the distance. All baskets were in place and in fair condition.
Cons: The layout of the course was sort of disjointed, so a map may come in handy. I missed the transition from 8 to 9, where you cross the mini golf course and tee off next to the batting cages. There are places where other park users near the disc golf course, so be cautious.
Other Thoughts: Deer Lick Park is a versatile and unique course that is certainly worth checking out. It may not be a total stunner, but it is a high quality course that I would be happy to play regularly. There are opportunities to shoot under par, but the OB and wooded fairways can add strokes quickly.

I play here all the time

5+    4/9/2013   7/9/2011
Review By: Dsplayname
This review was updated on 4/11/2013
Pros: As far as permanent courses go, this is one of the closer ones to Atlanta. It only takes about 30 minutes for me to get there from Midtown.
It's a nice, well seasoned course with a fair mix of holes.
It has never been crowded when I have played, and the people that I have seen all have great course etiquette.
The mix of shots and distances makes this a good challenge for just about everyone.
The course is always well maintained, and the bugs are minimal.
Some really tough lines out there for the risk-takers, but the fairways are pretty clearly defined.
With the revised layout, the course seems to flow better. It still has distinct sections to it, with different styles of play necessary for each section.
Parking/practice basket/start of course from the segregated lot is nice, especially during baseball/football seasons.
I see a lot of people doing other activities around the park, but have never had an issue with crowding on the course.
Cons: Some would say that the mixed tee pads are a con, but they are all maintained well.
There could be more trash cans on the course, but it is exceedingly rare to see a course with cans, and have them emptied regularly. I'd rather haul my own trash than tee off near a can full of beer cans and bees.
There a a couple "filler" holes that don't require much skill, but they are also a good balance for players who don't throw 400 feet and still want a birdie.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. It's not the most challenging one I've played by far, but it is interesting and always keep me pushing myself to do better.
The use of open spaces and elevation are pretty good here and there's not really a huge advantage for the 400+ foot drivers. It's a nice, quite park for a casual round of disc golf. If you consider the other options close to Atlanta, I believe it's one of the better ones to play. White Oak isn't too far away from here, so if you have the time and energy, play both. This isn't a championship level course, but it is entirely worth playing and highly enjoyable.

Was not impressed

1    7/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: sdervan
Pros: I love the sport so I'm just glad that they had a course.
Cons: Signage was terrible.
Layout didn't make sense
Some holes didn't even have lines that were discernible.
Some holes had HUGE walks between.
It was a frustrating course.
Other Thoughts: It was have probably been more enjoyable with a local.
probably a descent round for a newbie.

Deer Licker

1    2/11/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: do you juju
Pros: Playing through a multi-activity park, this course offers the chance to see all ends of the grounds while having the opportunity to knock some birdies down. The course at Deer Lick does a great job of mixing up the types of shots you have to throw while popping in and out of the woods. Several holes are under 250 feet and have minimal objects in your way which give you the chance at a few ace runs. The length and variety of holes makes this course one I will have to play again.
Cons: Not every tee pad had a sign indicating basket placement or distance, which can be irritating if you havent played the course before. Having concrete tee pads is a luxury and is often taken for granted, so take advantage of them at this course when they are available, otherwise you are dealing with playing on dirt or grass tees. I enjoy playing holes in the woods, and I also accept the challenge of courses that are only in the thick tree fairways. But a few holes are extremely tight consistently along the fairway and can be difficult to beginner players. Without playing the course before hand it can be pretty tough to navigate.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has a nice mixture of lengthy holes, wooded ones, and wide open shots that plays throughout this fantastic park. Maybe mini golf could make the schedule next time I'm at the park, as they do have a course on the grounds. The front nine holes are more open and are definitely easier to birdie, but the back nine really test your precision.

I got Deer Lick'd

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: A huge variety of holes and terrain. The front 9 has been described as almost like being in a different park on each hole and it is pretty accurate. The front 9 also features some pretty nice tee pads.
The course is also a true challenge, there are very few gimme's out here, you have to work for all your pars and really work for the deuces.
Cons: The back 9 is just violent. Long, twisty mini fairways through the woods at 400'. Very unforgiving.
Long walks at points make a tough round even tougher in the heat.
Good luck without a map, so print it...or wander aimlessly.
Other Thoughts: I would rate the front 9 a 4 and the back 9 a 2.5 so you end up with 3.25 which I feel is a good fair score. The back 9 could be a little more fair, but it is do-able, but I would say you have just as good a chance at a 5 as you do a 3. I would have liked to have seen better signage, without the map we printed from here we would've been lost.

Hole 4, Hole 8, Hole 9 are awesome, 12 and 13 are nice, 15 is not bad either...there really are not a lot of "bad" holes but a lot of holes that will just take your belt off and smack you with it mercilessly.

This is a good course in a great park with a ton of amenities. It is definitely not a beginner course and it will make you feel right awful if you try to take it on and don't have the skills.

Deer Lick Park

1    4/25/2010   4/25/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Concrete pads; some challenging wooded holes that make you really plan out some tricky throws; good start--the first three holes are short but trecherous; restrooms & ample parking at start & end of course; holes #1 and #18 are in close proximity (short walk to/from car).
Cons: Difficult to follow the flow of the course, even with the map; lots of orphaned tee pads from previous course layout; tee signs missing on most holes; cracked & unlevel tee pads; too many "throw it there and it's gone for good" water hazards; congestion with other park activities on a few holes; some wooded holes have soo many tees they are throw & pray only.
Other Thoughts: On the day I played with my kids, there seemed to be a lot of "suspicious" activity going on in the park. After 8 holes, I became so concerned that I decided to pack it in for the day. On the walk back to the car, park police & local police swarmed the park obviously looking for someone on the run. This is the only park where I have had safety concerns while playing disc golf.

Deer Lick

1    3/29/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: Psalman
Pros: I really enjoyed the front nine. It's almost too easy. Average players have a great chance of making a birdie. Pros will be way under par.

#1, 2 and 6 are great Hole-in-One opportunities.
#8 and 16 have awesome wide open tee shots.
#13 is a great short hole with an elevated tee and pin.
Cons: Finding your way around the first time is difficult. Bring a map! The tees are marked by a 4x4 post sticking out of the ground. The tee pads are natural, but in good condition. I don't remember any benches.

The fairway on the wooded holes (10, 11, 14, 15) are very narrow. They are similar to Oregon Park's Coffin Hole (#6) or McCurry Park's Hole from Hell (#2). The surrounding trees are new growth and are could easily be cut down to enhance the playability of these holes.

My score would be a point higher if navigation and these holes were improved.
Other Thoughts: There is a refreshment stand between 8 and 9. It was closed when I was there on a weekday. There is also a skate park, batting cages, and putt-putt course.

Park behind the lake. #1 is between the road and lake. There's a gas station or two between I-20 and the park to get snacks or drinks.

Great course

2-4    12/22/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Good mix of shots needed for this course. I liked the progression of the course, 1 and 2 are short, 3 is long and deceptively hard, 4 is a beautiful downhill shot with an evil pin placement. The back nine is a nice mix of open and tight technical through woods. Some holes are "shoot and pray" as there is just a hint of a "fairway".

15 is a great open downhill . When I played there were mounds of lovely Georgia clay 1/2 way to the tee. Made for an interesting "Links style" shot from slippery mud.
Cons: Poor signage! I expect this will improve over time, probably in the spring (hopefully in the spring?)

After you finish the hole by the parking lot (I forgot whether it is 8 or 9) the next tee pad is up the hill behind the batting cages. VERY EASY TO MISS!

dirt tees marked by flags.

I rated this a 3.5 due to the layout of the course. Had I taken the signage into consideration I would drop it to a 3.
Other Thoughts: Worth playing.

This Course Handed Me My Lunch!

1    7/12/2009   7/12/2009
Pros: This course can and will frustrate most players. A great drive can sometimes land OB. There are some awfully tight holes, especially on the back nine.

There were two holes which really stood out for me as "signature holes" on this course, # 4 and # 13. # 4 is only a 269' slight hyser throw across an open field to a basket set about 50 feet into the woods and guarded on three sides by a creek (almost dry in mid-July). The entrance to the woods is fairly tight in inself and then you have the creek to contend with. I luckily got through the opening landed about 8 feet from the basket - splashed down OB. And like the map says # 13 is a favorite of many of the locals and I can see why. It's a 296' slight hyser shot out over the field to a basket perched just up the hill at the edge of the field. Just a pretty DG hole.
Cons: Many dirt tee pads. The back nine did feel like an after thought, like they were't quite thought out as well as the front nine. Some were more luck than skill throws. Navigating this course would be very difficult without a map. On # 3, my 2nd up-shot would have been aimed directly at a couple swinging on a bench between me and the hole. Oh well, it probably saved my disc from rollong into the lake below. The tee sign distances were not very accurate at all. There were very few resting benches on the course.
Other Thoughts: This course wore me out both physically and mentally. I'd like to play it again for the challenging aspect and of course, to throw #'s 4 and 13 again.