Douglasville, GA
Deer Lick Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #9 (Taken 12/2009)

Deer Licker

1    2/11/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: do you juju
Pros: Playing through a multi-activity park, this course offers the chance to see all ends of the grounds while having the opportunity to knock some birdies down. The course at Deer Lick does a great job of mixing up the types of shots you have to throw while popping in and out of the woods. Several holes are under 250 feet and have minimal objects in your way which give you the chance at a few ace runs. The length and variety of holes makes this course one I will have to play again.
Cons: Not every tee pad had a sign indicating basket placement or distance, which can be irritating if you havent played the course before. Having concrete tee pads is a luxury and is often taken for granted, so take advantage of them at this course when they are available, otherwise you are dealing with playing on dirt or grass tees. I enjoy playing holes in the woods, and I also accept the challenge of courses that are only in the thick tree fairways. But a few holes are extremely tight consistently along the fairway and can be difficult to beginner players. Without playing the course before hand it can be pretty tough to navigate.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that has a nice mixture of lengthy holes, wooded ones, and wide open shots that plays throughout this fantastic park. Maybe mini golf could make the schedule next time I'm at the park, as they do have a course on the grounds. The front nine holes are more open and are definitely easier to birdie, but the back nine really test your precision.

I got Deer Lick'd

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: A huge variety of holes and terrain. The front 9 has been described as almost like being in a different park on each hole and it is pretty accurate. The front 9 also features some pretty nice tee pads.
The course is also a true challenge, there are very few gimme's out here, you have to work for all your pars and really work for the deuces.
Cons: The back 9 is just violent. Long, twisty mini fairways through the woods at 400'. Very unforgiving.
Long walks at points make a tough round even tougher in the heat.
Good luck without a map, so print it...or wander aimlessly.
Other Thoughts: I would rate the front 9 a 4 and the back 9 a 2.5 so you end up with 3.25 which I feel is a good fair score. The back 9 could be a little more fair, but it is do-able, but I would say you have just as good a chance at a 5 as you do a 3. I would have liked to have seen better signage, without the map we printed from here we would've been lost.

Hole 4, Hole 8, Hole 9 are awesome, 12 and 13 are nice, 15 is not bad either...there really are not a lot of "bad" holes but a lot of holes that will just take your belt off and smack you with it mercilessly.

This is a good course in a great park with a ton of amenities. It is definitely not a beginner course and it will make you feel right awful if you try to take it on and don't have the skills.

Deer Lick Park

1    4/25/2010   4/25/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Concrete pads; some challenging wooded holes that make you really plan out some tricky throws; good start--the first three holes are short but trecherous; restrooms & ample parking at start & end of course; holes #1 and #18 are in close proximity (short walk to/from car).
Cons: Difficult to follow the flow of the course, even with the map; lots of orphaned tee pads from previous course layout; tee signs missing on most holes; cracked & unlevel tee pads; too many "throw it there and it's gone for good" water hazards; congestion with other park activities on a few holes; some wooded holes have soo many tees they are throw & pray only.
Other Thoughts: On the day I played with my kids, there seemed to be a lot of "suspicious" activity going on in the park. After 8 holes, I became so concerned that I decided to pack it in for the day. On the walk back to the car, park police & local police swarmed the park obviously looking for someone on the run. This is the only park where I have had safety concerns while playing disc golf.

Deer Lick

1    3/29/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: Psalman
Pros: I really enjoyed the front nine. It's almost too easy. Average players have a great chance of making a birdie. Pros will be way under par.

#1, 2 and 6 are great Hole-in-One opportunities.
#8 and 16 have awesome wide open tee shots.
#13 is a great short hole with an elevated tee and pin.
Cons: Finding your way around the first time is difficult. Bring a map! The tees are marked by a 4x4 post sticking out of the ground. The tee pads are natural, but in good condition. I don't remember any benches.

The fairway on the wooded holes (10, 11, 14, 15) are very narrow. They are similar to Oregon Park's Coffin Hole (#6) or McCurry Park's Hole from Hell (#2). The surrounding trees are new growth and are could easily be cut down to enhance the playability of these holes.

My score would be a point higher if navigation and these holes were improved.
Other Thoughts: There is a refreshment stand between 8 and 9. It was closed when I was there on a weekday. There is also a skate park, batting cages, and putt-putt course.

Park behind the lake. #1 is between the road and lake. There's a gas station or two between I-20 and the park to get snacks or drinks.

Great course

2-4    12/22/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: Good mix of shots needed for this course. I liked the progression of the course, 1 and 2 are short, 3 is long and deceptively hard, 4 is a beautiful downhill shot with an evil pin placement. The back nine is a nice mix of open and tight technical through woods. Some holes are "shoot and pray" as there is just a hint of a "fairway".

15 is a great open downhill . When I played there were mounds of lovely Georgia clay 1/2 way to the tee. Made for an interesting "Links style" shot from slippery mud.
Cons: Poor signage! I expect this will improve over time, probably in the spring (hopefully in the spring?)

After you finish the hole by the parking lot (I forgot whether it is 8 or 9) the next tee pad is up the hill behind the batting cages. VERY EASY TO MISS!

dirt tees marked by flags.

I rated this a 3.5 due to the layout of the course. Had I taken the signage into consideration I would drop it to a 3.
Other Thoughts: Worth playing.

This Course Handed Me My Lunch!

1    7/12/2009   7/12/2009
Pros: This course can and will frustrate most players. A great drive can sometimes land OB. There are some awfully tight holes, especially on the back nine.

There were two holes which really stood out for me as "signature holes" on this course, # 4 and # 13. # 4 is only a 269' slight hyser throw across an open field to a basket set about 50 feet into the woods and guarded on three sides by a creek (almost dry in mid-July). The entrance to the woods is fairly tight in inself and then you have the creek to contend with. I luckily got through the opening landed about 8 feet from the basket - splashed down OB. And like the map says # 13 is a favorite of many of the locals and I can see why. It's a 296' slight hyser shot out over the field to a basket perched just up the hill at the edge of the field. Just a pretty DG hole.
Cons: Many dirt tee pads. The back nine did feel like an after thought, like they were't quite thought out as well as the front nine. Some were more luck than skill throws. Navigating this course would be very difficult without a map. On # 3, my 2nd up-shot would have been aimed directly at a couple swinging on a bench between me and the hole. Oh well, it probably saved my disc from rollong into the lake below. The tee sign distances were not very accurate at all. There were very few resting benches on the course.
Other Thoughts: This course wore me out both physically and mentally. I'd like to play it again for the challenging aspect and of course, to throw #'s 4 and 13 again.

Fun course

5+    7/3/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: The holes are extremely varied at this course and all give a different challenge. I like how there are both long and short holes on the course. Other courses often feel too similar from one hole to the next because they are all about the same length.

The three standout holes for me are 3,4, and 16.

Hole 3 is a long shot along a hillside that slopes down to the lake on the left side of the fairway. It really makes you be careful with your shots. This is especially true once you reach the basket because you need to be careful about having a putt role all the way down the hill.

Hole 4 has to be the signature hole on this course. It is an extremely scenic shot off of a hillside from a nicely created natural tee box. The drive gives you two options. The first is to shoot it into a opening in the woods to a safe landing spot. The second more interesting line is to shoot over the winding creek that enters the woods straight onto the green which is surrounded by the creek on 3 sides.

Hole 16 is a nice shot from an elevated tee located at the edge of the woods out into a field. I like this hole because it really lets you open up for some long drives. Additionally you must get past a large log pile about 100 feet down the fairway and to the left of the tee. It shouldn't be a problem for anyone other than new players, but it always manages to get into my head.

I really enjoy the wooded holes on this course due to the fact that almost all of them have multiple routes that you can take. I wish more courses would employ this sort of risk reward shot in their design.

For newer players there are alternate tees on at least half of the holes but they are often difficult to find because they are just painted bricks in the ground.

I hadn't realized how much shade this course had until today which was a plus in the hot Georgia summer.

As for amenities there is a restroom right by 18's pin,a nice pavilion near 1's tee, and pro shop between 8 and 9 although it is often closed when I visit.
Cons: The cons of this course are mainly of the course accessories type and do not effect the actual game very much in my opinion unless you are new to the course.

The first issue is that the teepads are inconsistent some are concrete and some are dirt. Basically any hole with a concrete tee is an original hole from the previous 9 hole layout. All of the new tees are dirt.

The second issue is the tee signs. Almost none of back 9 have a tee sign of any kind and the holes on the front nine that do have tee signs often have wrong information due to pins being moved.

Navigation can be a major problem the first time through if you have not brought a map. This is extremely true of the back 9 due to hardly any next tee signs.

The one hole I don't like is 17. It just seems to be a little too much of a close your eyes and pray hole. Although I don't get out to this course as much as I would like to so maybe there is a good route on it that I just don't see.
Other Thoughts: I still can't get over how much nicer this course is since they completely re did it a couple of years ago. I appreciate all the hard work those guys put in to make this a great course to play.

1    4/13/2009   4/21/2009
Review By: progprowl
Pros: -Rating would have been better if the course had all concrete pads and signage.
-Great variety of holes. Wooded and open with tricky, tight shots.
-The most technically difficult course that I have yet to play in the Atlanta area.
-Baskets were in good condition and easy to locate once you found the tee box.
-My score was really horrible due to the challenging nature of the holes. I can't wait to play again.
-Favorite holes were: the 3rd (you really have to be cautious if you throw RHBH that you don't roll down the hill into the pond on the left). The 4th hole and the challenge of avoiding the winding creek (very scenic hole). The 7th hole goes way back on a dogleg right amongst many trees (Make sure you end up left (thicket of trees to get through on the right).
-I was the ony discgolfer out there. No waits, but, unfortunately, no locals to ask for advice.
-lots of foot traffic, but pedestrian paths do not cross the course.
Cons: -Signage was very poor. Without the map I printed from this site I would never have been able to navigate. Fortunately the map also had distances.
-No garbage cans and benches were rare.
-The tee pads were in poor shape. There were only a few concrete pads, a majority of the tees were dirt/ mud (they were flooded as it had rained that morning). It was challenging to have a good tee shot with no footing.
-All of the trees! Not really a con since it makes the course more challenging but I think I hit a minimum of 2 trees on every hole.
Other Thoughts: Similar to McCurry Park this course is not short and will zap your energy (especially after a rain in sloppy conditions). The course is very challenging and there are several shot options on each hole. I think it will be necessary to play this course several times in order to determine the best shot for you on each hole.

One of my favs in my area

5+    3/25/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: Jonnykatz
This review was updated on 5/27/2011
Pros: I love this course. Its in a great little park to take your family (fishing in the little lake, tennis, volleyball, mini-golf, batting cages, etc.) Just wish I lived closer. I've traveled the 45 minutes up there just to play the course more than a couple times. This course definitely deserves a 4 (at least of the ones I've played it is one of the best). I love hole 4. I don't know if the creek is OB on this hole or not. I don't play it as OB because it would be extremely tough otherwise. I play it from the road, but I'm not sure where the pro tee is. The front 9 are fun, with a fair amount of challenge. The back nine are a bit more challenging with some longer holes.
Cons: If regularly maintained its great, but the undergrowth can get pretty nasty otherwise on back 9. There are some signs to hole 9 now, but still a little tricky if its your first time (walk up the sidewalk to the building and then back down around the mini-golf towards the batting cages), and a long walk (but it takes you to the 'clubhouse', which is a good idea if its ever open). Some other tees need a sign or better signs with maps (4, 6, 9, 12). Needs better directions to find tees for 9 and 17, especially. Both are long walks.
Other Thoughts: Not very busy when I've been. Most courses I usually meet someone to play with.

Deer LICK

1    4/28/2010   3/23/2009
Review By: Fender088
This review was updated on 4/28/2010
Pros: Good 18 hole course between Atlanta and Carrollton. I would definitely go a few miles out of my way to play this one again. The course is located in a well-maintained park that also contains a pond, a walking track, and a putt-putt course to add to the surroundings. Many of the first holes have concrete tees and signs. Some holes have multiple tees, but there isn't much consistency. There is a decent amount of variation among the holes. I counted a good mix of wooded and open holes, as well as differences in distance. If you like ping pong holes then about 1/3 of the course is just for you!
Cons: Some of the holes are in dire need of maps because the basket is located out of sight. If you haven't played this course before, you might want to allot yourself some extra time to look for the baskets, or if you know a local that would be ideal. If you don't care for ping pong holes then you might get a little frustrated with some of the holes. Accuracy is better than power for these. I also didn't like the fact that a few of the first holes played very close to pedestrian walkways. This can make newer players nervous and interfere with drives, but it's even more of a risk for the pedestrians that aren't even aware that disc golf exists.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. I got to let a few rip, but the majority of the holes called for accuracy over power. The first few holes do a great job of incorporating a seasonal creek. That probably impressed me the most out of the entire course. This isn't really a con, but I felt that the back 9 were a little rushed and less thoughtful than the front 9. There was a decent amount of land to work with back there, but a few of those ping pong holes were just too far fetched for my taste.