Douglasville, GA
Uploaded By: sfeather Hole #7

Fun course

5+    7/3/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: The holes are extremely varied at this course and all give a different challenge. I like how there are both long and short holes on the course. Other courses often feel too similar from one hole to the next because they are all about the same length.

The three standout holes for me are 3,4, and 16.

Hole 3 is a long shot along a hillside that slopes down to the lake on the left side of the fairway. It really makes you be careful with your shots. This is especially true once you reach the basket because you need to be careful about having a putt role all the way down the hill.

Hole 4 has to be the signature hole on this course. It is an extremely scenic shot off of a hillside from a nicely created natural tee box. The drive gives you two options. The first is to shoot it into a opening in the woods to a safe landing spot. The second more interesting line is to shoot over the winding creek that enters the woods straight onto the green which is surrounded by the creek on 3 sides.

Hole 16 is a nice shot from an elevated tee located at the edge of the woods out into a field. I like this hole because it really lets you open up for some long drives. Additionally you must get past a large log pile about 100 feet down the fairway and to the left of the tee. It shouldn't be a problem for anyone other than new players, but it always manages to get into my head.

I really enjoy the wooded holes on this course due to the fact that almost all of them have multiple routes that you can take. I wish more courses would employ this sort of risk reward shot in their design.

For newer players there are alternate tees on at least half of the holes but they are often difficult to find because they are just painted bricks in the ground.

I hadn't realized how much shade this course had until today which was a plus in the hot Georgia summer.

As for amenities there is a restroom right by 18's pin,a nice pavilion near 1's tee, and pro shop between 8 and 9 although it is often closed when I visit.
Cons: The cons of this course are mainly of the course accessories type and do not effect the actual game very much in my opinion unless you are new to the course.

The first issue is that the teepads are inconsistent some are concrete and some are dirt. Basically any hole with a concrete tee is an original hole from the previous 9 hole layout. All of the new tees are dirt.

The second issue is the tee signs. Almost none of back 9 have a tee sign of any kind and the holes on the front nine that do have tee signs often have wrong information due to pins being moved.

Navigation can be a major problem the first time through if you have not brought a map. This is extremely true of the back 9 due to hardly any next tee signs.

The one hole I don't like is 17. It just seems to be a little too much of a close your eyes and pray hole. Although I don't get out to this course as much as I would like to so maybe there is a good route on it that I just don't see.
Other Thoughts: I still can't get over how much nicer this course is since they completely re did it a couple of years ago. I appreciate all the hard work those guys put in to make this a great course to play.

1    4/13/2009   4/21/2009
Review By: progprowl
Pros: -Rating would have been better if the course had all concrete pads and signage.
-Great variety of holes. Wooded and open with tricky, tight shots.
-The most technically difficult course that I have yet to play in the Atlanta area.
-Baskets were in good condition and easy to locate once you found the tee box.
-My score was really horrible due to the challenging nature of the holes. I can't wait to play again.
-Favorite holes were: the 3rd (you really have to be cautious if you throw RHBH that you don't roll down the hill into the pond on the left). The 4th hole and the challenge of avoiding the winding creek (very scenic hole). The 7th hole goes way back on a dogleg right amongst many trees (Make sure you end up left (thicket of trees to get through on the right).
-I was the ony discgolfer out there. No waits, but, unfortunately, no locals to ask for advice.
-lots of foot traffic, but pedestrian paths do not cross the course.
Cons: -Signage was very poor. Without the map I printed from this site I would never have been able to navigate. Fortunately the map also had distances.
-No garbage cans and benches were rare.
-The tee pads were in poor shape. There were only a few concrete pads, a majority of the tees were dirt/ mud (they were flooded as it had rained that morning). It was challenging to have a good tee shot with no footing.
-All of the trees! Not really a con since it makes the course more challenging but I think I hit a minimum of 2 trees on every hole.
Other Thoughts: Similar to McCurry Park this course is not short and will zap your energy (especially after a rain in sloppy conditions). The course is very challenging and there are several shot options on each hole. I think it will be necessary to play this course several times in order to determine the best shot for you on each hole.

One of my favs in my area

5+    3/25/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: Jonnykatz
This review was updated on 5/27/2011
Pros: I love this course. Its in a great little park to take your family (fishing in the little lake, tennis, volleyball, mini-golf, batting cages, etc.) Just wish I lived closer. I've traveled the 45 minutes up there just to play the course more than a couple times. This course definitely deserves a 4 (at least of the ones I've played it is one of the best). I love hole 4. I don't know if the creek is OB on this hole or not. I don't play it as OB because it would be extremely tough otherwise. I play it from the road, but I'm not sure where the pro tee is. The front 9 are fun, with a fair amount of challenge. The back nine are a bit more challenging with some longer holes.
Cons: If regularly maintained its great, but the undergrowth can get pretty nasty otherwise on back 9. There are some signs to hole 9 now, but still a little tricky if its your first time (walk up the sidewalk to the building and then back down around the mini-golf towards the batting cages), and a long walk (but it takes you to the 'clubhouse', which is a good idea if its ever open). Some other tees need a sign or better signs with maps (4, 6, 9, 12). Needs better directions to find tees for 9 and 17, especially. Both are long walks.
Other Thoughts: Not very busy when I've been. Most courses I usually meet someone to play with.

Deer LICK

1    4/28/2010   3/23/2009
Review By: Fender088
This review was updated on 4/28/2010
Pros: Good 18 hole course between Atlanta and Carrollton. I would definitely go a few miles out of my way to play this one again. The course is located in a well-maintained park that also contains a pond, a walking track, and a putt-putt course to add to the surroundings. Many of the first holes have concrete tees and signs. Some holes have multiple tees, but there isn't much consistency. There is a decent amount of variation among the holes. I counted a good mix of wooded and open holes, as well as differences in distance. If you like ping pong holes then about 1/3 of the course is just for you!
Cons: Some of the holes are in dire need of maps because the basket is located out of sight. If you haven't played this course before, you might want to allot yourself some extra time to look for the baskets, or if you know a local that would be ideal. If you don't care for ping pong holes then you might get a little frustrated with some of the holes. Accuracy is better than power for these. I also didn't like the fact that a few of the first holes played very close to pedestrian walkways. This can make newer players nervous and interfere with drives, but it's even more of a risk for the pedestrians that aren't even aware that disc golf exists.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. I got to let a few rip, but the majority of the holes called for accuracy over power. The first few holes do a great job of incorporating a seasonal creek. That probably impressed me the most out of the entire course. This isn't really a con, but I felt that the back 9 were a little rushed and less thoughtful than the front 9. There was a decent amount of land to work with back there, but a few of those ping pong holes were just too far fetched for my taste.

Deerlick

5+    8/21/2008   2/21/2009
Review By: reggaB
This review was updated on 11/12/2010
Pros: Nice mix of shots required. Much better since they redesigned the original layout which was a joke. Never very crowded even on the weekends. Drinks and restroom available near hole 8/9 (when its open) at the skatepark area. Has some real holes where placement counts more than distance to score well.
Cons: Course does not flow well, very easy to get lost without a map. Example would be after hole 8 you have to walk across the putt putt course to get to the next tee. The first 3 holes are sometimes hard to play when the weather is nice due to all the park goers. They have even been known to park on the tee pads for hole 1 and 3. During the summer some of the woods holes get a little overgrown.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, I would stop by and play this course. It is one of only a few on the west side of Atlanta.

1    2/20/2009   2/20/2009
Review By: grease
Pros: I can't say enough about the crew that put this course in. I was one of them. The front 9 minus 1,2,and 6 were also redone. After hole 8, we had dense jungle to cut through and usually started in a general direction and eventually ended up where the basket would be. It was extremely hard to cut in the back 9. I helped with White Oak also, and personally, I think Deerlick is a better course due to it's variety. The initial intention when designing this course was to incorporate all of the best holes from local courses into one. We tried our best.
Cons: This is not a barney course. People with lack of skills will either have to accept it for what it is, or play at an easier course.
Other Thoughts: Course improvements are pending and will be coming soon.

Fun and Challenging course with a few flaws

1    2/8/2009   2/10/2009
Review By: eck_03
Pros: The course has a great set of holes and can be played by about anyone. There are a lot of elevation changes and little creek beds that run through some fairways that are easy to avoid but can prove challenging if you are off your game.
Cons: A few holes are hard to find without the map that is provided at the office. Hole 3s basket is almost impossible to find even with help, the trick is to throw up along the road until you find the basket. Some of the wooded holes need to be a bit less wooded, there are absolutely no shots from some positions.
Other Thoughts: As my first course I have played in GA this one is great as a start.

This course is fun

5+    9/9/2008   2/9/2009
Review By: dandaman
Pros: 18 holes from the original 9. This course has a dedicated group of locals who worked hard on making this course a full 18. The holes are fair, fun, challanging, and have a nice variety.
Cons: Not too many. Some people might not like the fact that there is not concrete on every teepad, but it's not a major factor IMO.

Tough to navigate if you not played there before
Other Thoughts: I beleive the park office has course maps available but this will be helpful as well:

Finding hole #9 after 8 will be kind of confusing for first time players (it's by the batting cages). After hole 16 you will need to go down the hill and to the left for holes 17-18.

Not very good

2-4    9/3/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Course requires some good shot making and course management skills. The course is longer and provides a decent work out.
Cons: This course is very poorly designed. I personally cannot think of one good hole. Hole four is completely unfair as laying up to avoid the creek can leave you with no shot? The course is poorly marked and many of the holes (especially on the back) are just not fair with no real "fairway" existing. The large clear cut area reminds me of scene from Mad Max and is quite depressing.
Other Thoughts: Disc golfers need to learn that just having a course is not always a good thing. Courses like this hurt the game as a whole and make the entire sport look bad. If all you have is a scrub pine, former clear cut, "forest" to build in just don't do it, it's not worth the baskets.

Deer Lick Park

2-4    12/8/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: warren1086
This review was updated on 5/17/2009
Pros: Nice mix of distances, not much walking between holes on the front 9 or so. Good mix of terrain. Course flows fairly well until you get towards the back half. Clean park and there are security guards patrolling the park, but they can give you parking tickets so watch out. Great variety of difficulties with holes, some easy and some tough. Holes 3 and 4 play with some water so watch out especially on 3 with big pond on left. Has a "pro shop" and sign says they have discs 4 sale but I didn't see any but they do have drink and snack machines also has restrooms too btwn 9 and 10? I think. You can use most of the discs in your bag cause this course is very diverse and you can use just about every type of throw you know on this course.
Cons: The newer holes which I guess are the back 9 or so are designed pretty poorly in my opinion. Either they are very wooded or no obstacles at all. No clean shots in the wooded holes, and by this I mean even with a great or decent tee shot you still wont have any line of view to see the basket. Course was pretty busy on the weekend with little kids on some fairways and what not. The front 9 are manageable without a map but the back definitely aren't unless you are with someone who has played before.
Other Thoughts: I like the front 9 a lot but once I got past the pro shop the course just didn't seem fun to me. well at least not as much as the front. Hole 4 was awesome I like the creek that comes to play cause even if you get into trouble it is usually shallow enough to fish your disc out. The back 9 either need to be cleaned up a little bit or moved around. They have plenty of land to play with on the back but w/e. Over all decent course not worth a long drive to but if you're in the area it is worth a visit.