Aberdeen, SD
3 / 250ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Could be a lot better

1    7/14/2013   8/21/2013
Review By: BenderTheThrowbot
Pros: Nice setting in the "back woods" of Aberdeen. Way off the beaten path for travelers. I see the potential this course has. Nice layout of holes; blind shots, back and fore hand friendly holes.
The current condition of this course adds an extra challenge to the game.
Cons: WAY OVERGROWN!!! Cut the trees back, knock down some of the undergrowth and this would be a top-notch course.
I'm glad the locals destroy the signs....it adds that wonderful mystery of "where the hell should I throw?" to the game. Keep it up people and the state will just make it a walking path!
Other Thoughts: This course has an above average layout. After throwing at some of the best places in the midwest (blue ribbon, highbridge) I gave this place a try on a family reunion.
This could be a start of a SD Highbridge...if they wanted. There is enough land available to put 54 more holes in. It has a good mix of woods and open area, with wonderful elevation changes.
I would guess that the locals piss down their own leg and get this course closed, I do hope for the opposite though.

Technical, Buggy Course In The Trees!

1    7/11/2011   7/20/2011
Pros: The course plays through a forrest of pine trees. Many of the holes are fairly tight. Holes 1, 2 and 3 are basic tunnel shots. There are concrete pads with rec distances and then longer natural pads for the advanced tees. I assume they were added in later to give a greater challenge. The baskets are older ones which are fine here. Because this park area is fairly isolated, many of the signs have been vandalized or destroyed. # 7 and # 8 are both little over the top of the tree throws for anyone who a throw a 200' tomahawk. Unfortunately, my aging arm tops out at about 75 feet. # 9 is a fun little ACE run. There is a nice variety of tunnel and then some more open holes here. The course ends right back at the beginning. I always like that in a course design.
Cons: There had been a lot of rainfall in previous days so much of the course was muddy. I had to take a few detours around some wet areas. Everything felt a little rundown, a little neglected. It's out here in the woods. The signs are in bad shape. It doesn't seen as though anyone has done much to improve or maintain this course in quite some time. I think it could use a little TLC. And the misquitos were a major annoyance.
Other Thoughts: I'm stumbling along by # 13. I'm hot, sweaty and I'm battling the ever present misquitos. From the lovely closeby lake, I hear music, jet boats, girls laughing and splashing while being towed behind the ski boats and I think to myself, " Maybe I'd rather be out there in the lake with those girls?"

Bring two cans of mosquito repelant

1    9/5/2008   9/20/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
This review was updated on 12/15/2009
Pros: - A single use park with a nice view of the lake on a couple of holes, especially 13.
- Trees in play on every hole, but it's not a poke & hope like I'm used to in portions of Michigan. There are enough trees to keep you honest, but not enough to ruin your day.
- Makes the most out of the available elevation.
- Would probably be best played after the first hard freeze and before the first snow.
Cons: - The only thing I'll remember about this course is the army of mosquitoes that attacked me as soon as I got out of my car. It's almost like they wanted to get at the fresh meat before he could have a chance to get bug spray on. They didn't let up throughout the whole round, the bug spray merely kept them 6 inches away as they buzzed around me looking for an opening. It was absolutely brutal.
- Lots of missing signs (maybe 11 or 12 total) are a definite problem, especially on the front nine where you go back and forth across a clearing.
Other Thoughts: - I met three local guys who confirmed that this particular day was no fluke. They said that the state sprays the course every but that the mosquitoes simply fly in from other areas.
- Without the bugs, this would easily be a 3.5 or a 4 star course. Depending on what season you're playing in, you could have a nice round here.