Eureka, IL
Lake Eureka DGC Share

nice course

1    11/20/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course.
Quite narrow fairways to negotiate.
Couple 400 foot holes.
Some pavement to play o.b., should you choose to do so.
Two different locals met up with us to play, with one day's notice. Thanks to Mark and Dan. (Dan is one of the main designers at Maxwell Park, which we went to next. He's also a very fit gentleman and ran myself and my playing partner around Eureka in less than one hour.) Lots of up and down hills here. Dan had me sweating in late November.
Did I mention that this is an enjoyable and very pretty course?
There are ace runs....and yet lots of trouble. You're going to have to make a few creative up shots.
Elevation used very nicely.
Nice cement tees.
Cons: We had a tour guide. I'm betting this one is a rather tough one to navigate solo; first time through.
Hills were quite slick after multi days of rain. Be aware.
It's the yardage that makes it a 3 rating. Most holes fairly short....though very technical.
4,815 foot long course just can't get more than a 3 by my scale. They're making courses this tight, with 6,000 plus feet these days.
Other Thoughts: Hope I don't get the home boy hate on this one. The local guys were very nice and I don't want to offend anyone. I consider a 3 rating to be good; which is what the tutorial happens to note as well.
Northwood and McNaughton are better, but you WILL want to stop in here for LOTS OF FUN, and to test your precise/inventive shot, game. This is one of those courses you can get an ace on....and one you will be proud to say you did.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

1    10/18/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: ForehandMAN36
Pros: Concrete tees. Creative variety of shots were thought of making good use of the narrow fairways and sloping hills within the woods. A good challenge for players who get giddy for long narrow shots where the basket is to the left/right/straight or over/up a hill. Very enjoyable.
Cons: Tee signs have no map of disc path/flight on them and a few of them were missing the distance reading also. LONG walks from hole to hole. There are quite a few of "blind" shots, which got annoying after awhile having to set you're bag down and search for the basket before throwing. Majority of course is played in the woods. Skipped Hole 18 due to peewee football parents cooking food in the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Overall enjoyable course, it's worth a checking out. We started our "Peoria area" trip off with this course and were overall satisfied except for what I stated in the CONS section. There are a lot of good creative & quite challenging holes, but there were also some holes that made you wonder what the designer was thinking and some blind shots that made no sense. But the good outweighed the bad, would play again!