Eureka, IL

< Prev 1 2 3
Hallway Heaven

2-4    11/29/2014   11/30/2014
Review By: Donkeybong
Pros: Great tight course.....If you can throw straight. Loved the course. some of the hallways are only 10 ft wide. Hole 2 is one of them.. and it is an uphill shot on top of that. Had a great time playing this course in a winter league.
Cons: Heard that this course is really bad during the summer. Lots of poison ivy, That being said this will only be a winter course for me.
Other Thoughts: wind plays a huge factor on 9,10 and 18.

Nice course for technical play

1    7/29/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: thirstydisc
Pros: + Nice park beside a peaceful lake which is not in play
+ Good tee pads. Small but adequate for driving these holes
+ Tee signs in good shape with hole length
+ Diversity of shots in the woods, both direction and elevation. The designer mostly made sound choices.
+ A good test of shot accuracy. Course knowledge a plus to scoring birdies
+ Correct par assignments
Cons: - Some holes have walking/running paths for fairways. I had to yield to a youth cross country running team four times during my round
- Almost no navigation aids. I had a map and had to resort to orienteering. I noticed after 12 holes the baskets have blue paint on the basket spoke in the direction of the next hole.
Other Thoughts: = The Lower Park parking lot by the ball fields was inaccessible due to construction when I played. I suggest parking in the Davidson Memorial Park NW of the lake and starting on hole 11.
= There is plenty of summer under growth to hide discs off the fairways, so be alert

{Insert lame quip or pun concerning Archimedes here}

2-4    4/18/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: MidwestZest
Pros: - Most of the course is in the woods, and dedicated to disc golf. A few overlapping areas, mostly just with the bike trail along 16 and 18.
- Great piece of wooded land along a creek. Ridges and spurs used well, and in different ways. Some shots are up the valleys, some shoot across them. Others explore little hollows, while even others just take you straight up wooded hills. Wonderful nature hike required for this course.
- Essentially no underbrush on this course, which is nice. Punishment exists in finding lines through trees, and not in having to search for discs in thickets. However, from a previous time playing I do believe I remember a fair amount of poison ivy. Comes with the territory I suppose.
- Some nice wooden stepping bridges in some low-lying parts of the course.
- Signs at each tee pad, that are sufficient. There are really no blind shots on the course, so pictograms of each hole really aren't necessary.
- Nice concrete tee pads, and though a little small and skinny, the holes are mostly short and don't really require a ton of run-up.
- #1, right off the bat, shoots crossways along the side of a hill. Huge potential for roll-aways here.
- #2 is just sick. Steep uphill, and have to hit one 7 foot wide gap about 50 feet out.
- #3, talk about a finesse shot. Only 192 feet long, but there's one specific shot shape, and you can tell exactly what you're supposed to do. It's doing it that's the problem, am I right?
- #7 was a very interesting hole for me. At first glance it seems a little ho-hum, but it actually has two very specific obstacles. The first is a 7 foot gap 40 feet out, but after that the pin is guarded by two large mature trees. If your drive doesn't land straight away in the fairway, then having a shot at the pin is slim to none.
- I appreciate the thought put into #9 and #10. They are both out in the open, which is a nice reprieve from the tight, wooded course. However, it looks like the intent was to make them longer and still a challenge. 444 ft and 522 ft respectively, they shoot back and forth across a little drainage ditch and a line of trees. There are significant windows for you to shoot through, but it's a big change in your game plan from the first 8 holes.
Cons: - Navigation just stinks. Two simple 'next tee' signs between 3 & 4, and again at 13 & 14 would make a huge difference. Part of the problem is that this crossover happens in a part of the ridges and ravines where the course 'cattle paths' aren't direct, as they follow the terrain and avoid the washed out drainage areas. This was my second time playing the course (albeit 3 years later), I had the course map handy, and I still asked a couple local players as I passed them if I was going the right way. 15 to 16 is also not intuitive, nor is 17 to 18, really.
- No trash cans anywhere that I remember along the course, just in prominent parking spaces.
- A lot of dead leaves still when I played in April - I can see discs sliding underneath and getting lost from time to time.
- In the wet, I bet this course is difficult, maybe even dangerous to play on. Just mostly dirt, especially the paths in-between holes. Recent rain would probably leave some water in the low-lying areas and dried up creek beds, adding an additional hazard on some holes.
- #15 occupies a cool piece of land through what looks like a dry pond or creek bed. However, I think it's just plain unfair. A line for the first 150 ft is available, but after that I don't think there's a viable line to the pin from the tee. The stand of trees guarding the basket is cool, but there's just not one large enough gap. Most are 3 feet or less. Removal of one or two trees would do the trick.
- #16 just doesn't belong on this course. I don't know how else to say it. Wide open, 300' hole. They must just not have had any other space to squeeze the hole in without making a terribly long walk. Also, the sign and post had been torn down, and someone had thrown it in the brook, under the bridge.
Other Thoughts: - This course is relatively short, and I'm just going to make mention of that here, rather than in the pros or the cons. If you have all sorts of shapes in your arsenal for your drives, then this course probably is rather easy, and plays too short. If you often rely on your big arm, then this course may seem like a poke and hope, and could be frustrating. Personally, it was just right for me and my game.
- Overall really loved my time here. A few years after playing it for the first time, my skills have improved, and I felt like I could handle this course much better. Certainly not one for newer players, this provides a good challenge, and a wonderful time in the outdoors.

Eureka does not suck.

1    10/25/2013   10/26/2013
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
Pros: + Favorite kind of course: heavily wooded with rolling terrain
+ Very attractive park
+ Requires some very accurate throws on tight lines in the woods
+ Good variety of left / right, uphill / downhill shots.
+ I love the ravines, humps and bumps, natural drainageways, etc on the course. Not only are they visually appealing, but they make for some interesting stances and shots.
+ Some really nice "greens" that will repel a poorly played shot.
Cons: - Concrete tees may be a little small, but I don't think they are too bad considering the length of the holes.
- Navigation is tricky in parts, with some long walks between holes. Print out the course map (with aerial).
- Tee signs only have distance. There are enough holes where you can't see the basket from the tee to make this an issue.
- I'm sure there are legitimate reasons why it doesn't, but I would have loved to see the course somehow utilize the creek near 14-17.
- No alternate tees or basket locations (at least that I saw).
Other Thoughts: I would like to see this course when the foliage is fuller, to see how nasty the rough can be and what the lines look like. I can imagine it could be visually intimidating to recreational players, even though the length is suited more towards the rec and intermediate level. The biggest hazards when I played were the leaves covering discs, tee pads, and tripping hazards. Overall, I was very pleased with this course. It reminds me of my favorite local course, Baraboo Lions DGC, but with even more of an emphasis on tight lines in the woods. Keep in mind that I'm a player who is happy with 300' drives, so I like the length of the course and the opportunities for deuces with an accurate tee shot. I can see how some of the more advanced players may knock the course for its lack of length.

Second favorite area course after McNaughton

5+    8/9/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 9/12/2014
Pros: a woods course which I like, Interesting Topography that is fairly well used, I have never seen many people here playing so you kind of have it to yourself. Fun course to play I thought. Tight fairways and challenging at times.
Cons: A few of the tees were a bit hard to find. On one I had to walk about and hunt for the first time I played( it should be better marked to indicate the next tee on a few holes), Most were easy to find though. I wish a few holes that are kind of unimaginative could have made use of some of the cool terrain areas that were not utilized. I realize that the park probably dictated what could and could not be used but, it had a lot of potential that wasn't brought into play.
Other Thoughts: The confusing holes should have pointers on the pin to point to the next tee. Wish some more of the interesting terrain could be used.Good job on the design of this course. Thank you to the workers who did the work to bring it to us.

I don't get this course

1    9/5/2012   9/5/2012
Review By: PeoriaRa
Pros: Lots of shade. Finding the next tee from the basket results in excellent exercise. Parking is convenient. You might see a deer, wolf or Bigfoot.
Cons: 1. Bewildering course layout 2. Climbing into ravines to retrieve discs. 3. Sticker bushes. 4. Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: I don't understand the fascination with playing disc golf in the woods. Yes, it results in a high difficulty level, and you have shade. But I don't want to spend my day retrieving discs from ravines and pulling burrs of my clothes. Or having to wear long sleeves and jeans in 90 degrees to avoid poision ivy. And isn't someone capable of finding a way to mark the path to the next tee? Sorry, I enjoy a challenge but playing disc golf in the woods is just stupid to me.

very nice course

1    5/17/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: BuzzArmStrong
Pros: Good use of elevation change - Extremely scenic course which feels pretty secluded - Fairways range from being tight to fair and require different types of shots - Good mix of short and long holes - A few nice long open holes amidst tightly wooded areas make for a good mix and feels like a needed breather in the middle of a round.
Cons: Couple spots where the paths can be confusing (we printed a map that helped a lot - if it is your first time out I would suggest doing the same) - A few holes lacked imagination and given the land available could easily be redesigned.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to shoot one off the cliff, wish they would design a hole off of it (I'm not sure if there is a good place to do it at though).

Personal favorite

5+    8/11/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: This is an excellent course. It's so pretty and secluded that even if you're having a tough round you can enjoy yourself.

*Beautiful trees and stream makes for one of the most scenic rounds of dg I've played

*Great mixture of wooded holes and open ones with all sorts of distances ranging from <200 to >500.

*Very nice park with trails and baseball fields

*Hole 1 is awesome with a tough shot of the tee into an open fairway that slopes hard right with the basket on the top of the slope

Cons: There are two holes at this course that i really don't like and they are really the only cons of the course

*Hole 16 is kind of bland compared to the others. Normally i like 300+ foot relatively open holes, but this one is only 303 ft and there are absolutely no obstacles... i just feel like there was enough land on site that they could have made this one a bit more interesting.

*I don't like hole 18 very much... the fairway takes an "S" bend, which normally isn't a bad feature, but on this hole the growth of trees are so thick and the "S" is so severe that the anheiser route to the hole is the best option to play, only the route goes directly at the parking lot. Not a fan.

*Tee signs don't have very much detail
Other Thoughts: Some people may comment that the walks/flow here is a bit bad, but in my opinion these flaws are more than made up for by the awesome disc golf in the course. Also, the walks are very scenic so they were more enjoyable than anything. I think every disc golfer in Illinois can justify a special trip to play this course alone, not to mention if they decide to play other courses in the area.

The Best Peoria Course I have played.

1    7/8/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: Pitty241
Pros: This is a very beautiful course with many tight fairways as well as great wide open holes.
-this course can test your short game for the most part with the exception # 9 and 10
-The course is very well maintained
-Has a Great facility of sports fields and hiking trails.
Cons: -The 16th hole was borring it was just a straight forward hole. Literally.
-There werent many trash cans and benches for in game rests.
-Some of the holes where hard to find.
-these holes had long walks to the tee that crisscrossed other trails to make it difficult
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to come and check out with a great layout that can test your technical short game.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set is a densely forested area with tons of trees to contend with on almost every hole. Tight windows off the tee and tight fairways are present on a large majority of the holes. Pretty good mix of large trees and small trees, though most are pretty skinny. Some low ceilings are definitely present as well. Lots of different lines in the forest due to curving fairways, but overall a straight shot is most important. A little heavy on the right curves as well.
- A few holes outside of the forest add good variety and additional challenge. Hole #1 is an uphill shot with trees directly in front of the tee box; it is a very tough, yet relatively open, 258' shot. Other open holes have some significant length, and decent elevation change, so a driver is definitely needed at times. Hole #18 is a tough hole that plays into the forest with a tricky zig-zag fairway; the course makes good use of the available land to mix things up.
- Lots of little elevation changes are present throughout the course as well. A few holes have a decent uphill or downhill slope, or have a sloping fairway left-to-right. Some other holes, like #14, have rugged terrain that can make second shots or putts be from well below the usual fairway height. This greatly helps to add some variety.
- Good teepads and baskets, decent signage. Easy to navigate.
Cons: - My major gripe with this course is the short hole lengths. Most of the holes are around 200'-250', so there are a lot of holes where an accurate shot will get near the basket by default. This also makes a lot of the holes seem very similar, with very similar shots. A stretch on the back nine can be especially repetitive.
- I know it is called Lake Eureka, I sure didn't see any lake here. Not many unique hazards at all, really.
Other Thoughts: - Overall, this was a very fun course with some very cool and memorable holes. The short hole lengths really take away from the difficulty, however. This also makes a lot of the shots blend together, where the same shot can be used for a lot of different holes. Throwing a straight shot around 200' can be a golden ticket to many deuces, which can be fun, but also a little boring.
- Some of the holes outside of the forest were preferable to those inside. So, there is a pretty good mix of hole type in general. If they holes alternated a little bit more, it would help break up the feeling of throwing the same shot on back to back holes.
- Great course for a beginner or intermediate player, might be a bit pedestrian for a more seasoned player.

< Prev 1 2 3