Augusta, GA
Lake Olmstead Park Share

I am torn here

1    2/14/2012   2/27/2012
Pros: 1) Kiosk at the first hole.
2) Nice signs with Hole #, Par, Distance, and a map of the hole.
3) Nice distance variation with holes rangins from the 200's to the 500's with everything in between. You will rarely have the exact same approach or putt because of how different the holes are in distance.
4) Nice large grippy trapezoidal tees are some of the best tees to be had.
5) The course had been recently mowed and trimmed (in the offseason) so I saw it at its best I would assume. This shows they do still care about the course even when there aren't a ton of people using the park.
6) There is a Minor League Baseball team across the street from the South Atlantic League. This seriously isn't truly a pro with the course but I like it so I am putting it in the pros.
7) I was happy the design was able to have both directions of shots along the water. Often times it is all the same hyzer or anhyzer as they follow the shoreline, but here you need to be able to throw both an anhyzer and a hyzer on different holes.
8) There is a lot of risk/reward here with the water shots and the elevation usage. You really need to decide how you are going to play on many holes . . . it isn't just as easy as stepping up and throwing your drive.
9) I have always said how much I love old concrete structures and buildings in old parks. This park is no different as there are two very historic looking buildings and the old landscape around it . . . along with the long large stone wall around the South and East property line. It is very attractive and nostalgic.
10) Excellent elevation on this property.
Cons: 1) The routing is not the greatest in the world. I spent some time looking for #4 and eventually just skipped it until later. #4 could easily be made in #15 and everything else shifted down one hole from 5-15 because it truly makes more sense like that. There also was some criss-crossing of holes where you finish a hole and you cross the path that you will later cross between two other holes. That can be confusing for first timers and travelling disc golfers especially with no directionals. Then there is also some confusion if you do not see #16 tee when you play from #3.
2) This course is a pretty tough walk because of all of the sideslopes you play along as well as some of the up and down on the holes.
3) I like the elevation on the property but I wish they could have used some of it to go straight up and straight down. It seemed like you are always playing along a slop as opposed to up and down it so the shot making was a little repetitive in that regard.
4) This is far from a beginner friendly property. There are no easy shots and the elevation and the water will frustrate even moderately experienced players.
5) This didn't seem to be in the greatest neighborhood. I didn't experience any issues but I played early on a crappy day so not many people were around, but this definitely didn't feel or look like an area of town I would want to be in at all hours of the day.
6) Some might argue but I do not view this course as attractive. Aside from being on the edge of a lake the grounds themselves are not really attractive.
7) The sidewalk below the course seems to be a heavily walked spot. There was one lady who went back and forth 3 times while I played those holes and I needed to wait for hr to clear my range on a few shots.
Other Thoughts: At first I didn't think I really enjoyed this course, but it grew on me eventually. The slope and the water make this a very diverse property along with the large variation in distance. I still didn't enjoy it as much as Patriot's Park so this looks like I am basically flipping the average rating for Patriot's with Lake Olmstead. Perhaps that is just more a factor of preferences. I like tighter wooded holes much more than open air it out holes like we have here. This is not a bad course by any means, but I just didn't have as much fun here as Patriot's so I have to rate this accordingly. While I am giving this course a 3.0 rating, but it is at the far high end of that rating in my option. I guess I would say it falls in about 3.2 in my books. I just couldn't reward the course (which is well designed and unique) by giving it a 3.5 rating because I just didn't enjoy it as much as I expected I would with a rating of over 3.5.

1    6/12/2010   6/18/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: I love water holes and this place has a bunch of them!
- great use of land
- challenging variety (distances, obstacles, water, elevation)
-very friendly locals
-nice concrete tee pads
-nice risk/reward
Cons: I hope they can get some of these issues taken care of:
-desparetly need garbage cans
-wasn't maintained the day I was there
(high grass, trash, broken glass)
-plays near walk ways (walkers/ joggers were very understanding which helps)
-navigation tricky at times
Other Thoughts: I found some public bathrooms at the top of the hill next to a restaurant, however there wasn't TP, soap, or paper towels.
I was very torn about this review. If there are improvements please message me so I can update this review.

Lake Olmstead Park, Augusta Georgia

2-4    10/2/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: martinb
This review was updated on 10/9/2009
Pros: Well maintained grassy park. Ample parking. Scenic setting. Park is close to everything.
Cons: Walking/jogging path a safety issue. Bathrooms?
Other Thoughts: This course plays in a city park with mowed, grassy landscaping and many mature trees and foliage. Lake Olmstead comes into play on 30% of the holes. The course itself plays for the most part between lake olmstead and a city street, with a walking/jogging path down the middle. Narrow fairways are the rule, with many trees and foliage to deal with on the fairways. There are some minor elevation changes along the course that will cause you to re-evaluate your shot selection from the teepad. Lake Olmstead will also make you think twice about what and where to throw so you don't risk losing any discs on the holes that the lake comes into play. Because of the narrow fairways, pro and advanced players will like this course more than a beginner player.
The path on the course is obviously an OB area. To keep the round fun you can choose not to though. On the weekends I imagine this path is very dangerous for walkers and joggers when disc golfers throw an errant shot. Considering how narrow some of the fairways are, this will be a given.
There is a sign on hole one that says the grassy area for holes one and two are reserved for ball play in the evenings on Wednesday and Thursday if I recall correctly, so there may be conflict at certain times during the week on those holes. Hole two plays across one of the entrances to the park so a layup shot is probably recommended (safety issue).
Course design is well done with the area provided. The walking path is an unavoidable hazard on the course but not a negative with course playability. Its up to the player to avoid the path. And there are plenty of routes available to the player on every hole from the teepad to do this. Technicality for this course is higher than average from the design and landscaping attributes. An enjoyable course to play if it is not too crowded and you have a couple of extra discs to replace any you may dump into Lake Olmstead.