Augusta, GA
Hole #11 Pro Tee

Take a kayak

1    7/9/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: CatFish
Pros: Easy to follow, very open, pretty. great signage, concrete tee pads. The 06 Worlds were held here. The innova wraith was introduced here.
Cons: lots of water. I take my kayak out there and find discs in the water all the time and try to get them back home. no trash cans
Other Thoughts: I take old discs I don't mind losing.

1    6/12/2010   6/18/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: I love water holes and this place has a bunch of them!
- great use of land
- challenging variety (distances, obstacles, water, elevation)
-very friendly locals
-nice concrete tee pads
-nice risk/reward
Cons: I hope they can get some of these issues taken care of:
-desparetly need garbage cans
-wasn't maintained the day I was there
(high grass, trash, broken glass)
-plays near walk ways (walkers/ joggers were very understanding which helps)
-navigation tricky at times
Other Thoughts: I found some public bathrooms at the top of the hill next to a restaurant, however there wasn't TP, soap, or paper towels.
I was very torn about this review. If there are improvements please message me so I can update this review.

Disc Golf at the Lake

1    4/8/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/18/2010
Pros: -Lake Olmstead DGC is located in a beautiful scenic park alongside a lake in Augusta.
-Tee's were concrete, excellent signs w/maps
-Challenging water shots
-Easy to find and plenty of parking.
-Multiple Risk/Reward shots
-Not a course for beginners, although they could opt out of the water holes and still have a good time here.
-Good Pin Placement
-Good "Fun Factor" for me
-Varying terrain and good use of elevation
-Tight shots, playing through rows of trees
-Course plays out 9 and back 9 to the parking lot
-Variety of shots are required to play this course
- Holes are mostly 300 to 400ft long, 5 are less the 300, and one is 620ft long.
-17 is a 620ft shot, that plays along the side of a hill, with the lake on your other side. Placement is key, as well as landing. It could roll down the hill into the lake.

FWIW: Other activities here include Biking, Walking, and fishing
Cons: -Small parking lot near #2 Basket. I was a little nervous about hitting someones car
-Navigation can be confusing, I recommend printing off the map on this page. (Links/files Tab)
-Walking path through the course
-Park goers can be walking around and fishing off the bank. (Although, the park goers seemed to know what disc golf is, and were aware of the protocol. A couple times, I had people, stop and motion for me to throw. They watched, one complimented me, and the other one pointed out where my errant throw went. lol)
-Hole 18 plays over a big stairwell. (I had to play around a gentleman standing on the stairs. The same one that motioned for me to throw, and pointed out where it went.)
-Holes 1 and 2 play around the outside of a baseball field. They don't yell "Fore" in baseball. Look out.
-No Bathrooms on the course
-No garbage cans (There was a bunch of trash strewn around the course and I removed some trash that was stuffed into the chains of a basket. I had no where to put the trash.)
-Humane Society across the street from 9 & 10. Dogs barking, it wasn't so much an irritant, I just have a soft spot for dogs in the pound. :(
-The stairs from 16 to 17 are extremely dangerous! There is a piece of rebar sticking up in front of the 4th or 5th step from the bottom. and another one sticking up in front of the 2nd or 3rd step from the bottom.
**see bottom of review for caution
Other Thoughts: This is a course that has maximized the use of a park that is located in a narrow stretch of land. It is very well laid out, although course navigation can be tricky without a map. (Namely tee's 4 and 6) Even though this course can play relatively fast, do not underestimate it. Most of these holes require a strategy for your approach. A hillside landing could find your disc rolling towards the water. I didn't see any place to get a map or scorecard. (I may have missed that) but a map will definitely be an asset to have. Casual footwear will be fine here, no need for hiking boots. I didn't see to many places to eat between here and Riverview DGC, but you are not far from more fast food places. Riverview DGC is not far from here, if you wanted to make a day out of hitting multiple courses in Augusta. I had a great time playing here, and I walked away with all my discs! :) ...that may not always be the case.
FYI: The Masters is played just down the street. If you are playing during that time, be mindful that the streets are going to be packed!

UPDATE:06/16 I just found out that the trash on the grounds is still really bad. They need to invest in garbage cans urgently!

**CAUTION!!! As I was coming down the steps from 16 to 17, My foot got caught on the first piece of rebar sticking straight up in front of the steps. As I was falling down, I got my foot dislodged and immediately planted it to stop myself. I planted it right in front of the second piece of rebar and, once again, began falling down the steps! I could've ended up on my face or even in the lake. I just barely stopped myself from going over the edge into the water. So Important safety tip!

Water and Ant hills

2-4    11/17/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
This review was updated on 11/18/2009
Pros: Beautifully maintained and quite scenic. Tees are nice with good structure for grip. Pretty much the whole course plays on a sidehill, so it will teach you that aspect of the game for sure. Not overly tight or long, and rollers seem a good option on several holes. If you like risk-reward set-ups, this is the place for you. The holes are very pleasing to the eye from the tees, and some are just plain scary. Routes are fair, if a bit dangerous.
Cons: Navigation is rough. The flow is reminiscent of pick-up sticks in places, due, I'm sure, to the quite narrow strip of lakeside used for the layout.
I found myself playing unconscionably safe shots for fear of losing discs to the lake, which comes into play on many of the holes. The first two holes have busy street OB in play, but not water. The guy selling discs here probably does well replacing drowned plastic. At least two of the holes have trees almost directly in front of them, a feature I find unfair on golf courses. Another has a metal fence you must throw over directly in front of the tee, making the hole unplayable for children.
Other Thoughts: For the first time I found myself wondering about the aesthetics of the bright yellow Discatcher targets in such a beautiful setting. On a wooded course they are highly visible and welcome, but somehow here they are jarring. Not a knock on the course- just an observation.

Lake Olmstead Park, Augusta Georgia

2-4    10/2/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: martinb
This review was updated on 10/9/2009
Pros: Well maintained grassy park. Ample parking. Scenic setting. Park is close to everything.
Cons: Walking/jogging path a safety issue. Bathrooms?
Other Thoughts: This course plays in a city park with mowed, grassy landscaping and many mature trees and foliage. Lake Olmstead comes into play on 30% of the holes. The course itself plays for the most part between lake olmstead and a city street, with a walking/jogging path down the middle. Narrow fairways are the rule, with many trees and foliage to deal with on the fairways. There are some minor elevation changes along the course that will cause you to re-evaluate your shot selection from the teepad. Lake Olmstead will also make you think twice about what and where to throw so you don't risk losing any discs on the holes that the lake comes into play. Because of the narrow fairways, pro and advanced players will like this course more than a beginner player.
The path on the course is obviously an OB area. To keep the round fun you can choose not to though. On the weekends I imagine this path is very dangerous for walkers and joggers when disc golfers throw an errant shot. Considering how narrow some of the fairways are, this will be a given.
There is a sign on hole one that says the grassy area for holes one and two are reserved for ball play in the evenings on Wednesday and Thursday if I recall correctly, so there may be conflict at certain times during the week on those holes. Hole two plays across one of the entrances to the park so a layup shot is probably recommended (safety issue).
Course design is well done with the area provided. The walking path is an unavoidable hazard on the course but not a negative with course playability. Its up to the player to avoid the path. And there are plenty of routes available to the player on every hole from the teepad to do this. Technicality for this course is higher than average from the design and landscaping attributes. An enjoyable course to play if it is not too crowded and you have a couple of extra discs to replace any you may dump into Lake Olmstead.

Risks & Rewards

5+    5/28/2007   7/28/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Not too long, fairly technical, with lots of risk/reward options.

Most of the course is on a long, thin strip of land between the lake itself and a lightly-traveled road, sloping down to the lake, with a paved walking trail running between them. So there's lots of OB, both paved and water. Some of the greens are prone to rollaways unless you're careful on your approaches.

Some of the fairways or baskets are very close to the lake. The routing does a figure-8, so that the lake is on your left at times, on your right at others, balancing the risk for righties & lefties.

Hole 17 is a trip, with the lake on your right and a steep hill climbing up on the left, and a LONG narrow fairway to drive.

Elsewhere there is an excellent variety of open, very tight, low-ceiling, roller-friendly, and otherwise creative fairways.

It's also a lovely place to play.
Cons: Between the walking trail threading through most of the course, dividing fairways in many places, and fisherman and other civilians lingering on the shore, avoiding non-disc-golfers can be a concern.

The proximity of the lake on several holes, and the wind, make it very easy to lose discs here.
Other Thoughts: Augusta has many fine courses. This is another, and a different feel compared to the heavily wooded holes as the IDGC & Riverview.

Beautiful Lakeside Course!

1    7/16/2009   7/18/2009
Pros: This is one very lovely course with Lake Olmstead always in view and usually trying to drown your discs. The park is well maintained, grassy with towering trees for shade. It's kind of a long skinny course layout with 9 holes down and then 9 coming back. The designers are to commended for their design. A major challenge is there with a steep hillside, the many trees and the ever-present lake. The course has nice concrete teepads and great baskets. The tee signs are informative.
Cons: They could do something to help with the navigation of this course. Maybe paint one spoke of each basket pointing to the next teepad or hanging a simple little metal "Next tee" with an arrow sign from one of the spokes. I wasted a fair amount of time trying to find the next tees. The park is well used and there is the walking path which is often in play so players must live in peace with the other park users.
Other Thoughts: At the far end of the course, you are right across the street from the Augusta Greenjackets ballpark, a class A minor league baseball team in the South Atlantic League. Walk over and take in a ballgame after your round. How American is that? Baseball and disc golf! Maybe you could buy a beer and a hot dog to enjoy on the back nine? Or some peanuts! I guess you could retrieve a foul ball before it rolls into the lake.

A for Awesome!

2-4    5/16/2007   4/18/2009
This review was updated on 4/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Nice Park

5+    12/14/2008   2/27/2009
Review By: reggaB
Pros: Beautiful park along the water. Water in play on a couple of holes. Need to use a varity of shots to score well here.
Cons: Although I really like this park, there is too much pedesterian traffic for my liking. Some of the fairways come close to each other and the flow of this course is kind of funky.
Other Thoughts: If in the area it is worth a stop. I would not go out of the way to play here, but it is a nice course for what they had to work with

5+    10/7/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Excellent layout overall. One of the best courses in Georgia if not the best. The course will test every aspect of your game. For an advanced level player just breaking par is an accomplishment. Length, accuracy and course management are all highly rewarded.
Cons: Other park users are often become an issue.
Other Thoughts: Many course designers could learn a great lesson from playing this course about the proper utilization of available land.