Augusta, GA
Lake Olmstead Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3

5+    12/3/2013   12/7/2013
Review By: smierzy
Pros: Designed for 2006 worlds , most scenic course in Augusta - spectacular views of the lake at the finish .
Cons: Occasional pedestrian interference , OB very close to several fairways , lake comes into play for those who lack control of their shots , slightly sketchy neighborhood .
Other Thoughts: Must play in Augusta - bring your course management skills !

Best City Course in Augusta

5+    12/5/2013   12/6/2013
Review By: ridesbrd
This review was updated on 1/4/2014
Pros: Beautiful Park setting around a lake, very unique use of land, awesome well balanced design, some short, some long holes, Benches on every hole, nice cement tee boxes and awesome signage, Many holes are lined with OB, and very well maintained
Cons: OB on every hole, can lose some discs if you are not careful, last 3 holes on a steep hillside making it physically difficult, sometimes baskets are stolen form this park.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Augusta area or visiting the "Mecca of Disc Golf" you need to check out this Park.

Lake O

5+    11/24/2012   12/1/2012
Review By: Baughmanron86
Pros: Very well kept up fairways. Good basket placement. challenging course for beginners and pros both.
Cons: Alot of chances for lost disc if your pretty new to throwing.
Other Thoughts: At the time of this review the baskets for 8 and 11 had been stole, but its not too bad to play 8 to the 10 basket and 11 to the 7 basket.

Fore!

1    5/7/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: Lake Olmstead is a beautiful course set right next to the lake. The course is very beautiful from the lake to the gardens to the gazebo and almost worth visiting just for those things. The course starts out near the entrance to the park and makes its way eventually to the lake playing on the sides of the sloping hills. The course plays over long green grass that does get a little tall around the lake. The course plays out and then all of the way back the length of the property. The course is challenging to intermediate players on some holes but there are tweeners throughout the course for that same set of players than it challenges.
Cons: The biggest con of the course for me as a first time player there was navigation, navigation, navigation. The tee pads were not in obvious locations from the last basket and there were no tee signs that I could see. I've seen courses before put yellow tape on the basket in the location of where you need to walk to the next tee pad and this is a tiny thing that could make all the difference here.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course but not the best in the area in my opinion. This place is worth checking out based on the lake and the course is decent but I would go to Riverview or Patriot's Park first. I wouldn't recommend taking newer players here because it's not the easiest course and the water shots can get tricky for those still felling out their n00b hyzers.

I am torn here

1    2/14/2012   2/27/2012
Pros: 1) Kiosk at the first hole.
2) Nice signs with Hole #, Par, Distance, and a map of the hole.
3) Nice distance variation with holes rangins from the 200's to the 500's with everything in between. You will rarely have the exact same approach or putt because of how different the holes are in distance.
4) Nice large grippy trapezoidal tees are some of the best tees to be had.
5) The course had been recently mowed and trimmed (in the offseason) so I saw it at its best I would assume. This shows they do still care about the course even when there aren't a ton of people using the park.
6) There is a Minor League Baseball team across the street from the South Atlantic League. This seriously isn't truly a pro with the course but I like it so I am putting it in the pros.
7) I was happy the design was able to have both directions of shots along the water. Often times it is all the same hyzer or anhyzer as they follow the shoreline, but here you need to be able to throw both an anhyzer and a hyzer on different holes.
8) There is a lot of risk/reward here with the water shots and the elevation usage. You really need to decide how you are going to play on many holes . . . it isn't just as easy as stepping up and throwing your drive.
9) I have always said how much I love old concrete structures and buildings in old parks. This park is no different as there are two very historic looking buildings and the old landscape around it . . . along with the long large stone wall around the South and East property line. It is very attractive and nostalgic.
10) Excellent elevation on this property.
Cons: 1) The routing is not the greatest in the world. I spent some time looking for #4 and eventually just skipped it until later. #4 could easily be made in #15 and everything else shifted down one hole from 5-15 because it truly makes more sense like that. There also was some criss-crossing of holes where you finish a hole and you cross the path that you will later cross between two other holes. That can be confusing for first timers and travelling disc golfers especially with no directionals. Then there is also some confusion if you do not see #16 tee when you play from #3.
2) This course is a pretty tough walk because of all of the sideslopes you play along as well as some of the up and down on the holes.
3) I like the elevation on the property but I wish they could have used some of it to go straight up and straight down. It seemed like you are always playing along a slop as opposed to up and down it so the shot making was a little repetitive in that regard.
4) This is far from a beginner friendly property. There are no easy shots and the elevation and the water will frustrate even moderately experienced players.
5) This didn't seem to be in the greatest neighborhood. I didn't experience any issues but I played early on a crappy day so not many people were around, but this definitely didn't feel or look like an area of town I would want to be in at all hours of the day.
6) Some might argue but I do not view this course as attractive. Aside from being on the edge of a lake the grounds themselves are not really attractive.
7) The sidewalk below the course seems to be a heavily walked spot. There was one lady who went back and forth 3 times while I played those holes and I needed to wait for hr to clear my range on a few shots.
Other Thoughts: At first I didn't think I really enjoyed this course, but it grew on me eventually. The slope and the water make this a very diverse property along with the large variation in distance. I still didn't enjoy it as much as Patriot's Park so this looks like I am basically flipping the average rating for Patriot's with Lake Olmstead. Perhaps that is just more a factor of preferences. I like tighter wooded holes much more than open air it out holes like we have here. This is not a bad course by any means, but I just didn't have as much fun here as Patriot's so I have to rate this accordingly. While I am giving this course a 3.0 rating, but it is at the far high end of that rating in my option. I guess I would say it falls in about 3.2 in my books. I just couldn't reward the course (which is well designed and unique) by giving it a 3.5 rating because I just didn't enjoy it as much as I expected I would with a rating of over 3.5.

Baskets replaced

1    2/1/2012   2/11/2012
Review By: Siege
Pros: This course is so much fun to play. A bad roller or bad shot make the water a threat on almost every hole. It is not heavily wooded, but the use of what trees and elevation are there make this a very challenging course. It is easily one of my favorite courses in Augusta.
Cons: There are no bathrooms on the course that I am aware of. Also, because of the water this is not a course for beginners. I had to fish a few discs out when I took the family. you do have to wait on people to move sometimes, but for the most part they know the deal.
Other Thoughts: Since the baskets have been replaced this is one of the best courses in Augusta in my opinion. It has a very high risk reward factor if you are brave enough to throw out over the lake. Hole 35 is a bit long to be a par three, but other than that it is a pretty fair course. Play it often!

Highs and Lows

1    9/25/2011   10/5/2011
Review By: swatso
Pros:
The park containing this course was probably quite a sight in its heyday, with the brick bandstand, sweeping stone staircases, tall, scattered hardwoods, lake-views, etc.
Cons:
Multiple chances to negatively interact with other park users, other players, a street, and water.

Basket-6 was missing (playing to nearby basket-12 was a reasonable alternative). Basket-13 was missing - no reasonable alternative available.
The strip of land containing the course is long and narrow, with a lake, and the walking path paralleling it, forming one side, and a street running along the other side. For the most part, the first nine holes play away from the parking lot, along Milledge Road to the right, and the back nine plays back towards the parking lot, keeping the lake to the right.

The online map is essential for the first-time visitor to the park, as most fairways are parallel to one another, making it easy to mistakenly throw to the wrong basket. Navigation can be tricky as you are often walking past a basket from the other nine to reach the next tee.

The main challenges confronted on this course are:
- large hardwoods scattered about the length of the flightpath (about 1/3rd of the holes)
- elevation changes, runaway slopes, up-n-over hillocks (again, about 1/3rd of the time)
- nearby water (about 1/4th of the time), but with options to avoid it
Some holes will combine a couple of these features - only a few holes could be classified as open-n-flat

Favourite hole: #15, because it gives you choices. Think you have a big (RHBH) arm? Then go for it - toss one out over the lake, and have it fade left uninterrupted, towards the basket 360' away. Trust your right-turning shot not to turn too much while going such a distance? You have a generous gap to hit between two large trees about halfway to the basket. Otherwise, come up with a plan that fits your arm/style, so you have as easy an approach as possible.

While I'm giving the course an average score, it is not because it is bland - it offers plenty of challenges, but has lots of drawbacks, too.

I Brake for the Lake

5+    8/16/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Lake Olmstead DGC is a nice long course that covers grassy hills with mature trees, set on one side of a small lake. Course amenities include full size, concrete tee pads with hole maps and distances posted at each one. All baskets are in good condition.

I give the high rating here due to the difficulty I have scoring well here. The golf course features a variety of holes, many with length. Some are near water with thick rough surrounding the banks of the lake. There are a couple of nice elevation changing drives, and the danger of bad rolls along with them. The walking path passing through the course defines boundaries that I can seldom avoid going out of for an entire round. Hole 3 is one of my favorites, a drastically elevated tee dropping to a basket 360 feet away in a stand of mature trees. My drive skipped and ricochetted off the bucket yesterday. I also like hole 15 a lot. It is 360 feet with a long route going left, or the direct route to the right if you can carry 300 feet over the water. Great skill is required to shoot well below par here, but it is possible. My personal best is 52 here, but I've seen others shoot in the 40's before.
Cons: There is some pedestrian and bicycle traffic using the walking trail next to several holes. Other times you may have to wait on fishermen or those at benches or tables to move out of the way. As I mentioned, there is water and heavy rough that increase the odds of losing a disc. The layout of the course zig zags quite a bit, so a map or a guide could help if you're a first timer.
Other Thoughts: Lake Olmstead is a great course in my opinion. I don't play it as often as the other courses nearby, due to the lack of shade, length and difficulty, wind, and hazards of losing discs. However I do give it much respect, and enjoy playing there. Will advise checking it out if you're a serious disc golfer and spending some time in Augusta.

Fun park course

1    4/20/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a hilly, grassy park with mature trees. A couple holes bring some rough into play, but for the most part the course is free of underbrush. Several holes play along the water, a couple offer routes with a water carry, though all have safer (longer) routes that stay over land. The water holes are a nice balance of a tough shot with a bailout option so that beginners aren't forced to risk losing their disc.

There is a decent mix of hole lengths here, a couple are long enough to pull out a driver and there are some ace runs mixed in. You'll need a good variety of shots to be successful, though many holes offer multiple routes. Elevation comes into play, there are some fun downhill shots, a few uphill shots, and some really tricky holes that play along the hills with roll away possibilities.
Cons: The course has a lot of safety issues. The first two holes bring a main road and a park road into play, and a walking path winds through a good chunk of the course. Many holes play near picnic areas, on a nice day I could see a lot of conflicts between disc golfers and other park users. In the middle of the course, several holes play pretty close to one another, and you often walk very near other fairways in between holes. There are a few spots where navigation isn't at all obvious, the closest tee isn't always the next one.
Other Thoughts: For a park course, this one really makes you hit your lines, and offers some great risk/reward water shots. I had a lot of fun playing here, though it was on a weekday when the park wasn't as heavily used. Beginners will find the course a little long, but entirely reasonable, there are always safe routes that avoid the water and rough. More experienced players will find a lot of deuces if they hit their lines, but it doesn't play all that easy.

Beautiful lakeside course.

1    11/21/2010   12/5/2010
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This a beautiful lakeside course and it plays along a slender piece of land beside a lake. This priovides for several water hazards and many steep elevation changes where the course drops many feet down to the lake edge.

I was invited to play a round with 4 guys who play it on a regular basis. They stated this is not a heavily played course, although it is a favorite of many in the area. The reason for this is because it is not a course for recreational players nor even many intermediate players.

The layout has maximized the use of land here and the course runs from one end of the park and back again. It starts out with a nice 310' throw on the edge of a softball field where the trees and brick wall, on the right, are in place to protect a very busy street.From there is just gets tougher and tougher.

On 5 baskets water is a direct and big hazard. But on several others a bad drive or a roll on the landing and it will end up in the water. (NOTE: if it gets caught in the reeds on the side your disc may not be retrieveable.)

The elevation here is put to good use. Especailly on 17 and 18. Seventeen is played along the bottom of the slope on the lake edge, with the basket up aganist a heavy shule area and a small area on the right is full of reeds. Eightteen is on top of the same slope around some tough trees and rolling is almost a given if you do not hit it right.

The shule here is not really a problem except on each end of the course on 10 and 17. If you get into it you will probably never see your disc again (we fished out many discs along the lake while looking for our errant throws, about eight alone while hunting for a disc on 17). However, in most of the park you spend your time working your throws around old growth oaks and maples.

Because this is a city park their are benches, and trashcans everywhere. Clean restrooms are available. The park is well kept and pleasant.

The teepads are in very good shape with reliable tee signs on each.

The flow of the course is good. Play it one time through with a map and you should be able to play it again without one.

The baskets are in good shape and putting greens are excellent.
Cons: Baskets 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 12 all play along side a road. One was the most disturbing. It is a very busy street. There is a brick wall barrier and some 15 foot trees but a disc can can get through (I have to admit I put one on the sidewalk) A fast moving vehicle is going to get hit.

There is a also a nice, wide, and paved path that you play along alot and was in constant use, although not heavy, when I was there. The people are not very concious of the course next to them. We had to make people aware of our presense on more than one occasion.

This not a course a new or inexperienced person should play. In a different location and with a good guide it could be.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself here and while my score was not great, I had played over 250 holes in the 3 days prior and was very tired, it is a place I will play again.

The people here were kind, well mannered, and helpful.

The park is a beauty and very relaxing to play because ot it.

Due to the road and pedestrian traffic I cannot justify a higher score.

< Prev 1 2 3