Selma, OR
Lake Selmac Share
-- / 242ft. Par / Distance:

Nice Little Lakeside Course Everyone Can Enjoy!

1    8/14/2013   8/23/2013
Pros: Lake Selmac features a nice variety of holes, everything from tight, technical throws in the woods to a couple of great downhills and then ending with two open field shots where you can show off your arm.

The course in Selma, OR off hiway 199, which is off the beaten path for most folks, is set off and above the shores of Lake Selmac. The lake only really comes into play on one or two holes.

The course has concrete tee pads and simple little metal signs. The baskets are the always popular in Oregon, Hornings Hideout truck rim models, which catch well, are vandal proof and make a nice melodious sound when you putt drops into the rim part. There used to be hole #'s on the pads but they've mostly faded or worn away.

# 8 was an interesting little throw being just about 200' to a blind basket with the lake just beyond the basket. Be careful not to overthrow this one.
Cons: Probably a few too many technical holes bunched together could frustrate some players.

Poison oak.

Bugs which I didn't see here on a August afternoon.

I'm fine with these baskets. If you play enough courses in Oregon, you'll be throwing to them plenty.
Other Thoughts: Navigation might be an issue but I was lucky to hook up with Ron and Allen, a couple "good ole boys" from the Selma area. Not only did they show me the course but I was given a living history on the area and their philosophy on life. It made for a pretty entertaining and interesting round of disc golf!

a little off the beaten path

1    2/18/2013   2/19/2013
Review By: reed2020
Pros: Lots of different looks, good use of elevation, fun little water hole (that can eat you if your not careful). Cement tee pads. Friendly locals help if you get off track. I played in the winter and finding my discs was easy.
Cons: There was lots of trash around the tee pads, no trash cans. The back nine was not nearly as good as the front nine. Some of the holes just seemed like huck and pray holes. Some of the directions on the signs on the back nine were misleading. It may have been just the lay out I played.
Other Thoughts: This course was fun, but the back nine could have been SO much better. The front nine seemed very well layed out and cared for. It seemed liked the back nine were just thrown up to make it an 18 hole course. The back nine could have used the land on that side much better, some of the baskets are very close together. I did like this course and will play it again.

Selmac

2-4    9/10/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: man in red
This review was updated on 12/14/2011
Pros: Disc Golf shop by course, Campground,Mixture of Long and short holes,Tee signs were easy to find,Hole 9 has the lake in play.
Cons: 17 and 18 was easy than the other holes.Innova dx gets beat up,and easy to lose discs,
Other Thoughts: front 9 holes were homemade back 9 were Mach 5. I started to play disc golf in this course. Good for experts and Novice

Ninja's Unite

1    6/29/2010   6/18/2011
Review By: ninja-don
Pros: I played this with a friend who was from the area... He reviewed this (below: Ninja-Disc-Master) and I agree with everything he wrote. Be sure to read his review as well.
The layout was awesome, up hill, down hill, flat and long, over water, near water. ect. The flow was really good too, no crossing fairways, or tee pads too close to baskets. The map helped, but I think I could have found my way without.
Not crowded at all. And the course is mostly set in areas of the park that keep you away from stray people walking in your throwing range.
Baskets were good, both homemade and professional didn't seem to different to me, but playing a few other Oregon courses has got me used to the home made baskets.
Cons: Poison Oak. I don't react to contact with poison oak but I know what it looks like and have seen people who have gotten it... it looks like it sucks. That being said, if you plan to play here, look up what it looks line on line if you don't already know so you can avoid it. Also bring a towel or wet wipes to wipe your disc off in case you put your disc in some.
Bugs: there is water near by and it's mostly in the woods, so bugs are a plenty.
Other Thoughts: Playing with another Ninja was awesome. I started playing disc golf because of him in Mississippi and how crazy is it that we both ended up in Oregon at the same time to play once again.
If you are around this area and have played the other close by courses then you really should play here. It's a little out of the way, but well worth it.
I rate it best in the area just under Tom Peirce Park.

Good Ol' Lake SMELLmac

1    6/29/2009   7/7/2009
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: Baskets- Excellent "homemade" on the front and Standard on the back.

Tee Pads- I think both a plus and a minuse due to the type and quality being good but the size a little too small in my book.
Elevation- Excellent use of the elevation changes throughout the course.
"Disc Shop"- The resort bait shop did have anything you would need to play.
Overall- A pretty technical course that will challenge the player with all types of shots. Definitely a fun course you should hit up if in the area!
Cons: Trash cans- Although the course was NOT trashed it would be better served to have more than just one at the turn.
Signage- I'm probably being picky but, I think the signage could have been better in regards to next tee. Hole signs were pretty good.
Map- Not perfect but, useful and available at the resort shop.
Enviroment- Poison Oak/Ivy and Mosquitos are VERY plentiful and a nice little FISHY smell on the lake holes.
Other Thoughts: I call it Lake SMELLmac because I grew up around here and that's what we called it due to the fishy smell of course. I was just really stoked to come back home from the military and find a course here and I wasn't disappointed! Go Play It!

Summer Fun

2-4    7/10/2008   5/10/2009
Review By: The Ghostman
Pros: Technical course that requires almost every type of shot somewhere along the course.

If you want to spend the day there is a lake and a campground with playground so the kids can have fun too.

I didn't see a lot of pressure on the course during my stay.

The local bait shops sell discs too.
Cons: Bugs, Poison Oak, although it wasn't hard to spot along the course.
Other Thoughts: Never intended on playing disc golf when going to the lake. I just saw someone out there playing it by himself. I asked if I could take a shot and I was hooked. He came back the next day and we played 9 holes and he gave me 3 discs as a starter set. What a way to get started in the sport.

Lake Selmac

5+    2/8/2009   2/15/2009
Review By: discgolforegon
Pros: Good use of available elevation
concrete teepads
Awesome benches on almost every hole.
camping on site, with 1 yurt.
flushable toilets
summer activities galore!
Cons: course signs are deteriorating.
some fairways have no defined space.
some alternate pin placements seem to have picked at random, and have no "REAL" route to the hole.
$2 to park
Poison oak
lots of small stubs everywhere! tons of trip hazards, so please watch your footing.
I thought the course could of used the lake a little more to make for some more risk / reward holes.
Other Thoughts: Work is under way to make improvements out at Lake Selmac. We hope to have the front 9 home made baskets replaced this summer.

great course

2-4    7/13/2007   1/13/2009
Review By: mike shoys
This review was updated on 3/22/2009
Pros:
- great selection of shots, but 17, and 18 were the only open, let er rip drives.
- homemade baskets work well, and you get to blame them for missing short putts if you wish
- not crowded. may never be.
- good progression of difficulty.
- good camping facilities (we camped right across the street from the basket on 18, good campsite)
- hardly any holes totally flat... only 17 and 18 if i remember right.
Cons:
- poison oak
- tightly wooded holes make "off day" frustrations increase
- a couple too many short holes of the same flavor. many small tree trunks growing tightly together with little room for disc.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time here. Great place to camp and play some disc on grounds. Many of the holes had a similar feel, but were good for my skill level. Very nice weather and swimming in the summertime. I can't wait to get back there. Tom Pearce Park isn't far away, making for a nice weekend road trip. Reservations for camping were made just days before arrival. No stores around so bring some goodies with you. Clean coin operated showers by bathrooms.

Nice but a bit monotonous

1    10/2/2008   10/3/2008
Review By: Adam Schneider
This review was updated on 10/12/2008
Pros:
- Nice setting: wooded hills near a lake
- Concrete tee pads & excellent homemade baskets
- Distance/direction signs & benches at every hole
- Good use of elevation
- Hard to lose discs (very little underbrush)
Cons:
- Most holes are pretty similar
- Poison oak
- Water isn't as much of a hazard as it could be
- In the middle of nowhere unless you're going down Hwy 199 anyway
This isn't a "destination" course, but it's fun and definitely worth the short detour and $2 Josephine County Parks fee if you're on your way from Grants Pass to the Redwood Coast.

Most holes have narrow 190'-260' fairways through tons of evergreen trees that want to knock your disc off course; there's a bit of luck involved. But my main complaint is that the vast majority of the holes look pretty much the same -- with the exception of #5 (small meadow under power lines), #9 (over a small arm of the lake), #17 (wide open field), and #18 (open field toward a grove of deciduous trees). The forest here is remarkably uniform in character, so the monotony is not really the fault of the course designers; and they do make nice use of elevation on a number of holes, especially the ones above the lake which have the potential for nasty roll-aways if you miss your putt.

The pale blue homemade baskets on the front 9 are very well-done. They didn't spit out any of my putts, and the metal bottoms make a satisfying ring when you hit the chains.

Beware of poison oak! Almost every fairway has some, mostly in the form of small plants low to the ground. It's easy to avoid stepping on it, but not so easy to prevent your disc from plowing through it at the end of a drive.