7 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1. I really think the 17th (570') is now the courses signature hole. It forces a bomb of a tee shot and then an awesome (and very long) approach to even sniff the hole all while avoiding the roadway (which I assume is OB) and getting into a little nest of trees before even thinking of getting your putter out. This is one of the few times I like how the road way comes into play. I've played a lot of courses all over the place and this is one of my favorite holes.
2. 10 is also great. It's a great confidence boost to those that throw RHBH with a sweeping right to left path to the basket.
3. Those are a nice choice in baskets on the back nine. The double layer of chains are more $$ but worth it.
4. Mowed and well kept up.
Cons: 1. The layout and the flooding on hole 3. (I'm told the flooding is now fixed or reduced) There is also a high fence lining the edge of this hole so errant throws are impossible to retrieve. UPDATE: I see the park planners have seen fit to install a gravel walking path right in front of the #3. Brilliant.
2. During the spring there is a soccer league there and hole #4 cuts right across one of the fields.
3. Hole #7 is tough to find along with #9. Hole #6 (along with several others) is right next to some grills.
4. There are no tee pads at all. Just rutted out grass.
5. 15 and 16 are a major issue. You have 2 fairways crossing each other and presents obvious safety issues. That is a serious no-no in course design. The 15th tee is between the 16th basket and tee. 15 has you throwing REAL close to a active park roadway. 16th tee is a blind shot to the basket. People making the long trek from 14 to 15 are in danger of getting clocked by drives from 16th tee.
6. 11, 14 are not very playable currently. Heavy shule is the "fairway" here. Use a brightly colored disc otherwise you will NEVER find it. These will be better once the leaves are gone. Wear long pants because there are nasty prickers on these holes. UPDATE: The fairways on these holes has been cleared rather significantly and the holes are playable. Regardless, be very careful roaming around the shule in this area - I have seen poison ivy and there are ticks in the area. However, this will not change my rating...See item #9
7. 12 needs some under brush cleared as well. It is sort of playable as it is but it forces the dg'er to throw waaaay too close to a very busy asphalt path and fence.
8. #6 has you throwing really close to one of the many soccer fields here.
9. I found out recently that #17 has a rather absurd mando. If you follow the mando as designed and you will be out IN FRONT OF the tee box for #18. Seriously? This hole needs that mando? At 500+ feet long and a hidden basket, the freaking hole is hard enough as it is.
Other Thoughts: If you are a local, this is a good place to practice but I wouldn't drive a significant distance to play here.
Someone has gone through a lot of trouble to expand this course. While I applaud their efforts I just can't rightly give it anything better than a 1.5 until some of the cons are addressed. It has the potential to be a 3 or 3.5 at best. Unfortunately, with all the activities on this course it will never be much better than that. Also, the land just doesn't offer the elements many dg'ers love to see like hills, woods, water hazards, etc. I think the designer has done ok with what they had to work with.
Note: My suggestion for play is to skip the following holes...#3, #12, #15 and #16 and ignore the mando on #17. If you do that, it's not a half bad disc golf experience but not something you want to drive a long ways to play.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Hole 3 is a good hole, good length and a tunnel fairway. Always mowed, would be almost impossible to lose a disc. Good design for the available space.
Cons: Only 9 holes and not really any other courses very close, so going there just for this course is a bit of a stretch. Bit of a walk to some tees...didn't see any maps or scorecards.
Other Thoughts: If they could somehow add 9 more holes, it would make it worth the trip.
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 1 Not
Busy Crowded Park
Pros: 9 holes, interesting pin placements on limited available space. Trees, slight elevation. Good beginner course as most of the holes aren't very long.
Cons: This course is built in a smaller crowded park and has to share with numerous other park ameneties. During sporting events or busy days, I can imagine this park is frustrating to play. Also, the course design is such, that you finish the 9th hole and have a long walk back to the parking lot and the first tee.
Other Thoughts: Nice to see a disc golf course in this neglected corner of lower western Michigan, wish there were a few more around there.
3 of 4 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 2 Not
don't go out of your way
Pros: 9 baskets
Cons: signature hole 3 had a fence along the entire right side and was almost flooded
in a grassy area.
hard to find hole 7 after hole 6
too near other park activities
Other Thoughts: The park is nice with plenty of other recreation for kids and has room to expand the course in other areas.
2 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.