Horn Lake, MS
Latimer Lakes - South Share
Uploaded By: indianawolf Hole #10 (Taken 7/2011)

Where next?

1    11/19/2010   12/20/2010
Review By: allenbosox
Pros: They did well to lay out this many holes in the space available. Good variety of shots - distance, technical, wooded, etc...There are signs for each hole and the marked lengths seem to be pretty accurate.
Well maintained park. Very little traffic when I went, but it was about 10 am on a Friday.
Cons: The signs show the hole layout, but do not indicate the location of the next hole. This is really important here because it can be difficult to find your way from one hole to the next, especially from hole 7 on. I actually never found one hole that is marked on this site! The tee pads are too short, 6 feet or less.
Other Thoughts: There is another course about 5 miles away in Southaven - consider a morning/afternoon double at the two. Normally I would only subtract half a rating point for difficulty of navigation, but this one was so difficult i deducted a whole point. That means it could just as easily rate a 4, making it quite a nice course. I will definately return.

Best course I've ever played

5+    10/5/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: Some hard shots that challenge the thrower. I'm not a good player and I do fairly well here. Multiple hole placement keeps the course from getting stale. Long, open shots and short technical shots. This course has it all. The course has some evil disc eating shrubbery too. Pond is in play on #3 and indirectly in play on #19.
Cons: None really. Pond is very mucky and you will sink half way up your knees when you have to get a disc. I've been in the pond twice. #11 is too long (or my throw to short).
Other Thoughts: I moved to Horn Lake three months ago and this course is a mile from my house. I love the course and I will miss it when I move back to FL. Don't change a thing on this course.

1    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This is the best course I have played in North Mississippi. That has already been covered here but the main thing is the variety of shots and balance of power vs control. There is enough length to challenge you where you can let it rip here and there and some holes that if you don't throw it perfect you are going to end up in a bad way. That makes for great disc golf.

Really nice use of OB on the front 9 that really makes you be careful. There are a couple of birdie gimmies and ace runs and then there are a couple that are nearly impossible to birdie.

This is a well used course with lots of friendly locals.
Cons: It is not easy to come up with many cons. These aren't really cons as they are more like a course wish list. I wish water had come into play a little more. Bag holders would have been nice. There is a walking track that comes into play that sometimes you have to wait on people but that only happened once. You do have to throw around the street and that could cause problems on two holes.
Other Thoughts: Great course. I will play this if I return to the area. Plenty of variety, great people, fun shots, and great risk-reward benefits. Come play this course if you are in the area and you won't regret it.

5+    7/2/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: Whitechickenman
Pros: Great varity of holes through the whole course. They have 20 holes. Even though course is so good already they are always making improvments. Well manicured grass, Nice tee boxes, With a great varity of people walking the paved path. Lots of people play here. So Wake up early and hit the course with your A game. Love this course play it at least 4 to 5 times a week.
Cons: None really but lets be picky. They just put up new hole maps on each hole. They look really nice however they are getting broken and theh trim is coming off... I think the big rocks with chalk lines were better. long term its to bad other people cant respect and value all the work that has made this course great. Could use bag holders on each hole. There I though of something bad.
Other Thoughts: Challenging yet fun enough to learn on. I love the mondo hole get close to aceing it every time.

My new favorite course!!

1    6/29/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: Falcon247
Pros: I've played several of the courses in N Mississippi and I must say that this course is by far the best one yet. It's like all the other courses wrapped into one. You like the city park courses?? It's here. Wooded areas with technical shots like at Wall Doxey?? They're here. Few baskets close to the water?? Yep, they've got 'em!! I absolutely love the variety of the holes on this course!!
Cons: Don't really have too many negatives about this course. If I wanted to nit-pick, I'd have to say that there is not enough benches and there needs to be a better job of marking where the next tee pads are located.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Memphis or N Mississippi area, you MUST play this course. It does get a little crowded with people walking the walking track so you must watch out for those guys. Other than that, check it out!!

Nice!

1    9/3/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: This is a great course that offers just about everything, as some of the other reviewers have suggested. But, there are a few changes that I guess are new since the last review here.

Hole 1 is the one that has the electrical box cover as a teepad, and there is no water - the water hole is now 3 and you can either annie or flick around a little tree, or go over the water to reach the pin, but it's not a real long water shot.

The distances are mostly written on nearby rocks and such, but i think there were a few signs out there as well. The important part is that each hole is marked. The teepads are in, but some of them are smallish.

Overall, a very fun course with lots of challenges, and even a few holes to really rip a drive out there. Mulit-use park, but the DG is away from everything, but...(see below)
Cons: When we got to 18, there were some people playing soccer in #4's fairway, which is very close to #18's basket. They did not move, even when the group in front of us was up there looking for their discs and asking them to move. I'm not entirely sure that the soccer dudes spoke very good english though. Either way, we had to throw into the crowd. They picked up one of our group's discs and threw it around a bit. this will only be a problem for people that can throw over 400' though, and only when those guys are playing soccer.

Other than that, I had no complaints about this course.
Other Thoughts: Well maintained. I'd recommend it if you're in the Memphis/N Miss. area.

Not real sure

1    3/28/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
This review was updated on 6/2/2009
Pros: A lot of different shot variety.

Long open holes, short tight technical shots. Elevation on a few holes. Course has almost every type of hole. I think the longest is some where around 500' and there are only a couple long open holes.

Tee pads on a few holes, some are natrual. I think the local DG club are in the process concreting them.

Water hazard on hole #1 is pretty tough. It's about a 280'+ shot to clear it.

There is only one or two benches on this course.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are super short. Maybe 4' or 6'. Especially on the 500' hole the tee pad is only 4' or so. They are also only maybe 3' wide. The thing I remember that really sticks out is on one hole they used an underground electrical cover for a tee pad.

I do not think there were any signs on this course because I remember teeing off on the water hazzard hole and wanting to know the distance.
Other Thoughts: The course is still kinda new and is undergoing changes by the local club. This has the potential to become a good course and hope it eventually does.

southaven showdown

1    3/28/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: manglin
Pros: Decent tee pads. Good baskets. Nice challenge and decent variety. Nice restrooms.
Cons: Flow is quite confusing at times. I don't remember any benches or trash cans. Water in play on two or more holes.
Other Thoughts: This course has all the qualities of a good course. Some of the tee pads could have been bigger, but they were good. The course is set in a city park with lots of woods in play. There are enough open holes to offer a good variety. The flow of the course is hard to follow on the back nine.

: )

5+    11/11/2008   4/11/2009
Review By: discsucker
Pros: Well maintained course, love playin this one after the congestion of the home course @ craighead across the river. My 2nd most frequently played, wish hometown was as well maintained.
Cons: Lost my T-bird in the drink. :(
Other Thoughts: Nice walk. Gotsta watch out for peddies!

This is my main home course.

5+    9/13/2008   9/17/2008
Review By: Thtcat
Pros: I like that there is a mix of distance and technical. I enjoy the variability of the course with the alternate hole locations. The course is often a bit different when I go to play it. There is a beautiful old oak straddled by the 5th and 18th holes. It is an inspiring sight each time I take note of it.
Cons: There is a great deal of semi-wilderness on the course including poison ivy and small and large thorny growth. The wind can make some of the holes deceptively hard if one is unprepared, and prdictably hard if they are prepared. The park is a busy one in nice weather, and must be shared with many other types of users, but that can be enjoyed if one is a people watcher.
Other Thoughts: The last reviewer mentions the 10th. It is a long hole that plays longer as the fairway is in a bowl and the basket must be played uphill. The wind is often a factor on this hole as well - generally blowing right to left, but not until about 75-100 ft off the tee box. The parking lot on the left does fill up at times when little leaguers are playing, but should be avoided at all times as it is out-of-bounds by course rules. The second and third holes mentioned in an earlier review have been eliminated due to having been in a multi-use field. Two new holes have been added in their place at the front of the course, making the water hazard a factor on hole #3 now.