Mokena, IL
The Oaks Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #24 (Taken 5/2012)

Oak leafs left me scrambling and double tracking to find the next tee

1    11/4/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: 27 HOLES X multiple tee pads on many of the holes equalls a very lucky community to have this DGC to play.

Only a few grip and rip holes. I played this DGC from the red tees (Because I didn't have a lot of time to complete this DGC if I had played the long <BLUE> tees)

hole # 13 had a well constructed terrace for the basket. Both getting to the basket area and leaving the basket area

plenty of well constructed benches.

very little liter (and considering I didn't see very many trash recepticles this was very impressive)
Cons: I had a lot of trouble locating the next hole, without a map or a guide you will to for your first few times playing this DGC (This could of been easily corrected by either painting a area on the basket well pointing the player in the area of the next tee or by using a strip of colored duct tape on the basket well pointing the player in the direction of the next tee) I did see one marker/ brick pointing me in a certain direction at one hole. But the day I played this DGC was covered with leaves and you just couldn't easily find this marker unless you kicked or raked the leaves away (and I don't normally carry a rake with me while I play)

course was pretty flat, and I prefer cement tees instead of the rubber mats, but still a good DGC
Other Thoughts: I didn't check in with the clubhose at the DGC but did check in sort of... at the park department office one exit before the DGC exit. I would reccomend following the policy of checking in to avoid a possible fine, but I didn't and got lucky not only by not getting fined but enjoying this nice DGC.

Mokena is a very nice community, watch your speed!!

Oak-tastic!

2-4    5/21/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 6/1/2011
Pros: - The Oaks is a sprawling twenty-seven hole course that winds and weaves deftly through the neatly manicured multi-purpose park property. With the exception of three heavily wooded holes towards the end, it's basically a gigantic grassy lawn with huge oaks scattered throughout. Small patches of schule and other vegetation appear in a few places. Mostly flat, but with some minimal elevation coming into play, the main obstacle here is avoiding (duhn duhn duh!) The Oaks.
- Outstanding rubber tees that remain grippy in the rain. Easily the best rubber tees I've played on. Good tee signage shows accurate
maps of each hole with all pertinent obstacles, roads, bridges, tees, pins, etc. Distances listed for white, blue and red tees. Trashcans and benches located throughout. Next tee signage.
- Most holes have separate white, blue, and red tees. This gives players in a range of skill levels interesting and compelling shots throughout. Each hole's tees often give entirely different looks or add a significant amount of distance to make things challenging.
Cons: - Although the design does its most to maintain variety, there is only so much they can do to disguise the fact that the course is moderately treed and flat. Many holes are "good," but a few seem kind of "stock" or squeezed in for the sake of getting in another hole. Some tees and baskets are crammed-in, making navigation just a touch tricky even with the "next hole" brick markers. On a busy day, keep your eyes peeled for errant discs from nearby holes.
Other Thoughts: - A fair hike to complete with all the zig-zag-back-and-forthing across the park, especially playing the longs. A solid course worth the visit if you're in the area, and among the better courses in Chicagoland.

Nice park, fun course, could be better.

5+    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Michler
Pros: 27 holes with great tees and good baskets. Very nice park. Holes wind through some nice oak trees with a few longer holes in the open where you can get out and bomb a drive.
Cons: This is a large pice of property with really nice land, although really flat, that could have made for a really nice 18 hole course. Unfortunately it was made into a 27 hole layout that is very repetetive with holes mostly in the 250-300 range. Its a deuce course whether you play the shorts or the longs here. An overabundance of righty hyzer shots as well. Also finding your way around your first, second, or 15th time here is a bit challenging as the holes do not flow very well. Alot of walk-backs and places where you walk past other tees to get to the next hole. This probably could have been a classic 18 hole course with 3 or 4 really tough par 4's and some really fun par 3's.
Other Thoughts: I feel like this course must have been designed in a day. 260 ft. hyzer 260 ft. hyzer 260 ft. hyzer

There are definitely 8 or 9 really good holes that are alot of fun though. Its definitely worth the play.

Smoking

2-4    8/14/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: schroeder5520
Pros: Great upkeep. Cool trees, nice bathrooms, discs, some food and drinks at clubhouse.

Has a pay for play feel but you only need a free membership card.
Cons: Although there is 27 holes, nearly every one is pretty bland. It is a nice course don't get me wrong, but it is absolutely just like every other decent course in IL. So it will probably not excite you in the least.
Other Thoughts: Okay this is why I am posting, because there are plenty of others to go on.

SMOKING
I smoked on the course because I really don't care about being fined for smoking, anywhere. I'll glady pay a fine to show my support of a crop that our country was founded on. I probably had 4 or 5 cigs per round, and have played there 3 times.

UNLIKE a previous post, I saw cigarette butts everywhere. Being a smoker and hearing the rumors, I was looking. They are everywhere, and I see at least a dozen people smoking every time I play. In fact, last time I played I saw two guys smoking while walking from the parking lot to hole #1. For those who know the course, this is while walking past cars, people, and the clubhouse building!

First time under par!

1    9/15/2007   1/15/2009
Review By: peabody
Pros: 27 holes. Alternate tees. Tee boxes that are concrete and rubber covered. Well kept baskets and nice benches. Three wooded holes to break things up. Very picturesque and the trees are old and large and shade the course quite well.
Cons: Needed a map. The kiosk didn't help. Had to look for the next tee. Luckily some guys were ahead of me or I wouldn't have a clue as to where to go next. The par was set wrong. I never shoot par on any course and I was under after 27 holes. No bathrooms when the building is closed. Same looking holes and the acorns were dangerous.
Other Thoughts: They say you can buy discs at the office adjacent to the parking lot but it wasn't open when I was there. I hate to think that this is the best Chicago has to offer. I find it hard to believe.

mOAKena DGC

2-4    6/4/2009   7/30/2008
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
This review was updated on 9/18/2012
Pros: Very big course with 27 holes and 3 sets of tees for each.

Signs were nice, and rubber tee pads were okay.

Baskets were fine, no practice basket.

Mostly moderately wooded with some open and a few densely wooded holes.

Most holes offer different lines and were balanced between RHBH and RHFH.

Always a fun round when I play here.
Cons: All holes are pretty flat, that's just how the area is.

Some navigation issues the first time around, but once through and you will be fine the next time.

With 27 holes, many can seem repetitive, but the holes are still worth playing.

People always on the course, not too much trouble with waiting or playing through.
Other Thoughts: I believe you have to check-in at the office, but I never do so I don't know how that is enforced. I always come here a few times every year and it is always a nice, fun day out disc golfing. It is definitely worth going to if you are within an hour or two.

Above Average

5+    10/22/2007   11/6/2007
Review By: Three Putt
This review was updated on 8/11/2008
Pros: There are nice amenities. The course is very well maintained. The majority of the courses in the Chicagoland area are 9 hole pitch & putt recreational courses or in a swamp (sometimes both,) so it is head and shoulders above the other options you have in the Windy City.
Cons: It's flat. That is not the fault of the course designers. Of the 27 holes, 20 of them are basically the same shots. That is the fault of the course designers.

The course as it stands now is not all that challenging. If you look at the SSA history of the course it plays between 2.5 & 2.7 per hole, so if you figure par with the old "everything 3" standard a 1000 rated player will shoot 8 to 12 strokes down for 27 holes. That doesn't make a very good case for the course being particularly challenging.
Other Thoughts: If the course was 18 holes instead of 27 and some creativity went into the design to create some more risk-reward shots, this course could really be something. The condition of the course shows that a lot of people are putting a lot of effort into this course, and I don't mean to belittle their efforts. Chicago has a lot of disc golfers with not a lot of good places for them to play, and this could be a real jewel for them. However, because of its inferior design all I can say for it is that it's a slightly above average course in an area filled with far-below average courses.

7/15/2007   7/29/2007
Review By: arendow
Pros: Many trees to manuver around, very dry greens resulting with the disc skipping away. Benches and tee signs.
Cons: Kind of crowded. Many of the same shot. Virtually no elevation.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course, but I felt like it didn't challenge my game. Very clean. Out of 27 holes, three are wooded and three are wide open, everything else medium trees with no elevation. Wish there was a little more variation.