Mokena, IL
The Oaks Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #13 (Taken 5/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Solid course in the southwest suburbs

5+    9/14/2015   9/14/2015
Review By: DrewbieDoobieDoo
Pros: -27 holes
-multiple tees on nearly every hole. Sign with map also.
-good mix of open and tight line tee shots. All holes have multiple line options.
-wood chips around many baskets create a nice landing area on approach shots. Almost like hitting a real golf green
-well kept and manicured course. Grass mowed, brush trimmed, garbage cans, benches
-several ace run holes add excitement.
Cons: -nearly no elevation change. No holes have a dramatic change.
-no standout "wow factor" holes
-many holes seem repetitious
-kind of confusing flow. Easy for new comers to get lost. A couple holes cross over each other.
Other Thoughts: -the listed pars are way off. Probably ok for starters, but better players will want to call their own pars (mostly legit par 3s)
-can get crowed and backed up more than most courses around the area. In general i find this to be because of large groups of new, less than average golfers who are unfamiliar with course etiquette to be the cause.

Overall, the Oaks is a great course that will be fun for all skill levels. I recommend anyone in the Chicago area to come play it. It its worth a longer drive to play.

Wonderfull Improvments

5+    8/2/2015   8/3/2015
Review By: Eschenky
Pros: Huge improvements this year.

Recent improvements include little things like replacing basket top signs and clearing fallen tree branches.

Bigger improvements in brush removal and tree trimming in "The Forest" 19-20-21and adding new mulch around many baskets and along walkways.

Huge improvements in water management and drainage, especially at 4, 7, 13 and 16.
Cons: I suppose if I could have everything in my perfect world I would add a practice basket to the course.
Other Thoughts: I'm a 52 year old who just started playing 3 years ago.

Of course I am biased because this is my home course, but having played in twelve or so states, east and west, north and south, for overall playability and beauty this course stands out to this day as one of the best.

2-4    9/20/2014   10/3/2014
Review By: Andrewcho
Pros: Good use of land
Very well maintained
Mix of wooded holes with semi-wooded holes
27 holes
Great tee pads
Cons: There is a lot of people
Holes repeat shots
Other Thoughts: A great course to play to warm up for more challenging courses. Some things I would change about this course is having more variety on holes and more holes with distance. The clubhouse is nice with a small selection of only Innova discs.

This course deserves a visit

1    6/8/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: River_love
Pros: Long 27 hole course. I especially consider this a good thing considering the lack of good, long courses around Chicagoland. From the moment I pulled into the driveway and saw the gym/clubhouse building, I knew this was going to be a rewarding course to play. The facilities here are top notch, in all sincerity. The clubhouse has a full gym ( I assume for members only?), nice bathrooms, a small disc shop, and scorecards/maps. There are some nice peaceful looking ponds and a bridge leading to the disc course.

If you enjoy having multiple tees to mix up the play/add more challenge or make the course easier then this course delivers; they have three tees for most of the 27 holes.

Great variety throughout the holes. Some of the holes are shaped very well with trees, bushes, and water hazards being used strategically to create nice lines. However, there isn't necessarily a TON of diversity on hole shapes. The true variety comes in the length of the holes as well as terrain. The distances range from 210 ft to 490 ft (I played white tees). The terrain varies from shaping around big trees, to wide open bombers, to very tight wooded fairways. Elevation even comes into play on a few holes.
Cons: Being that most of the holes are fairly open, meaning no OOB or strict fairway, you don't need to be very precise on the majority of the holes. This makes it a fun play with little stress, but some more risk/reward would be nice. A lot of the holes are very straightforward holes, not very long, and with no obstacles in the way.

I hate to complain about extra holes, but the last 9 holes feel like they were added on at the last minute and rushed. I like these holes since they introduce a few tightly wooded fairways not seen on the rest of the course, but they just don't seem finished.

The pars on this course seem kinda lame honestly. Ex. there are 15 holes under 300ft with a par 4? I scored a 91 on this course, nothing terribly impressive about that, and it was a -14? Just seems like most of these holes should be par 3 to me.
Other Thoughts: Everything was mowed, there were plenty of trash cans, and benches by most tees. The signs were pretty nice too. If you judge this course relative to other Chicago courses, it would be at least a 4/5, maybe 4.5/5 in my opinion. I had a blast playing here, and will not hesitate to make the 50 min. drive to play again.

1    6/7/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: depauw
Pros: course is well designed
offer 27 holes
has nice run ups compared to other places I've been
offers different styles of play ex. woods, hills, open field
Cons: heavy foot traffic will do a lot of sitting on benches waiting for other players

Nice Course, Too Many Holes For This Property

1    7/3/2012   7/4/2012
Review By: sthomas128
**Well maintained, clean park
**Nice benches throughout the park.
**Nice recreation center with scorecards, course maps, Discs for sale and inside restrooms.
**27 holes with 3 teepads for most of the holes.
**Nice Mach 5 baskets, yellow number plates on top with LARGE numbers on them which really helps the first time you play here.
**Very well constructed, compacted-crushed limestone, grippy rubber tee pads. These tee pads rival concrete...
**Nice graphic tee signs at the White tee pad so you know where to throw

**Mostly shady shooting through large mature oak trees was a plus on the 105+ heat index day that my wife and I played.
Navigation, especially after hole 21, a little more signage would remedy this situation. Help from the locals kept us pointed in the right direction...
Need -more- trashcans!!!
I am 900+ rated player and shot -11 while leaving quite a few out there which I suppose could be a pro and a con, Still a VERY "fun" round though and I would play this course again.

1. Check in at the recreation center building and get a free registration card, without one, there is a fine. They also have free Maps and Score Cards...
2. no smoking in the park, there is a fine
3. No dogs. There is a fine.

1    6/24/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: jomomo
Pros: holes are placed great. Accuracy is most important and some holes power. tee signs are marked well. 3 wooded holes are great.
Cons: dislike how you have so register to play at the building. never have never will and still play. they say you will get a ticket if you dont register. nonsence
Other Thoughts: one of the best courses ive ever played.

Great course

5+    3/4/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: chrisbek
Pros: *27 holes is awesome for when you feel like 18 isn't enough. I consider this course my home course and I rarely don't do all 27.
*The tee pads are great, and they also have 3 pads for most holes (blue, white, red). Baskets are the best I've played on.
*Pars are a little inflated, good course for an ego booster. There are a couple par 3's, mostly 4's, and one 5.
*Course is very well kept, with garbage cans at most holes so there's not cans everywhere.
Cons: *On a nice day, and even average days, it's very crowded. This is by far the best course in the area, which is a pro as well as a con.
*After it rains it can be very wet, but what course doesn't.
*For some reason trees fall over a lot here, which can get in the way. But they usually clean them up pretty fast.
*Like I said, the pars are a bit inflated. I've shot a -20 using signs from the champion tees, and I've been with a guy who's hit -28. Not too challenging.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love this course. I came here about 4 times a week during the summer of 2011. Definitely my favorite course. Highly recommended.

Oak leafs left me scrambling and double tracking to find the next tee

1    11/4/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: 27 HOLES X multiple tee pads on many of the holes equalls a very lucky community to have this DGC to play.

Only a few grip and rip holes. I played this DGC from the red tees (Because I didn't have a lot of time to complete this DGC if I had played the long <BLUE> tees)

hole # 13 had a well constructed terrace for the basket. Both getting to the basket area and leaving the basket area

plenty of well constructed benches.

very little liter (and considering I didn't see very many trash recepticles this was very impressive)
Cons: I had a lot of trouble locating the next hole, without a map or a guide you will to for your first few times playing this DGC (This could of been easily corrected by either painting a area on the basket well pointing the player in the area of the next tee or by using a strip of colored duct tape on the basket well pointing the player in the direction of the next tee) I did see one marker/ brick pointing me in a certain direction at one hole. But the day I played this DGC was covered with leaves and you just couldn't easily find this marker unless you kicked or raked the leaves away (and I don't normally carry a rake with me while I play)

course was pretty flat, and I prefer cement tees instead of the rubber mats, but still a good DGC
Other Thoughts: I didn't check in with the clubhose at the DGC but did check in sort of... at the park department office one exit before the DGC exit. I would reccomend following the policy of checking in to avoid a possible fine, but I didn't and got lucky not only by not getting fined but enjoying this nice DGC.

Mokena is a very nice community, watch your speed!!

2-4    5/21/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 6/1/2011
Pros: - The Oaks is a sprawling twenty-seven hole course that winds and weaves deftly through the neatly manicured multi-purpose park property. With the exception of three heavily wooded holes towards the end, it's basically a gigantic grassy lawn with huge oaks scattered throughout. Small patches of schule and other vegetation appear in a few places. Mostly flat, but with some minimal elevation coming into play, the main obstacle here is avoiding (duhn duhn duh!) The Oaks.
- Outstanding rubber tees that remain grippy in the rain. Easily the best rubber tees I've played on. Good tee signage shows accurate
maps of each hole with all pertinent obstacles, roads, bridges, tees, pins, etc. Distances listed for white, blue and red tees. Trashcans and benches located throughout. Next tee signage.
- Most holes have separate white, blue, and red tees. This gives players in a range of skill levels interesting and compelling shots throughout. Each hole's tees often give entirely different looks or add a significant amount of distance to make things challenging.
Cons: - Although the design does its most to maintain variety, there is only so much they can do to disguise the fact that the course is moderately treed and flat. Many holes are "good," but a few seem kind of "stock" or squeezed in for the sake of getting in another hole. Some tees and baskets are crammed-in, making navigation just a touch tricky even with the "next hole" brick markers. On a busy day, keep your eyes peeled for errant discs from nearby holes.
Other Thoughts: - A fair hike to complete with all the zig-zag-back-and-forthing across the park, especially playing the longs. A solid course worth the visit if you're in the area, and among the better courses in Chicagoland.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5