Cedar Hill, TX
Lester Lorch Park - Coyote DGC Share
Uploaded By: cooleyes37 Hole #4 (Taken 3/2009)

1    6/26/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: JezCat
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros: This is a very nice but tight wooded par-3 course with lots of variety in shots.
Several elevation changes throughout the day.
By far the most difficult course I've played.
Concrete tee pads.
There are also PVC pipes sticking out of the ground that will direct you to any unseen baskets.
Cons: Some poison ivy but I've seen much worse at other courses.
Little bit of a walk to get to first tee.
Could use an extra sign on a few holes where you need to backtrack down the fairway to find the path to the next tee box.
Other Thoughts: Clipping a tree or two and ending up in the woods is just part of your day here so don't get frustrated.
Also, if you start early you may want to play both Coyote and Beaver back-to-back before the Texas sun wears you out. Bring water and enjoy this great course.

Lorch Coyote

5+    6/29/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: flapjack
This review was updated on 7/19/2011
Pros: The holes are fun, its hard to lose your disc If you are close you must play.
Cons: no stores nearby, lots of poisonous snakes, just recently while playing hole 1 my disc landed on the edge of the woods within 1 inch of a water moccasin, be careful out there. I also almost stepped on a copper head snake at hole 1 when the sun was starting to set. BE CAREFUL. Parking kinda sucks.
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun! its great for going out with your friends and just having a good time.

I like Coyote more than I like Bea/er

1    1/18/2011   6/7/2011
Pros: 1) Big concrete tee pads.

2) Signs include all the pertinent information, Hole #, distance, Par, a decent map and next tee indicators.

3) Mach baskets in good condition but hard to find on some of the wooded holes.

4) Cedar trees . . . one of my top 5 trees for disc golf courses . . . all o/er the course, especially in the densest part of the wooded holes. I just lo/e those trees.

5) Some benches around for you to sit while waiting on the teepads.

6) Garbage cans all o/er to help curb the littering. All in all the course isn't bad for litter, but I would guarantee that is due to the locals filling the garbage cans.

7) Much more technical course than the Bea/er course. I prefer tighter shorter technical courses because I lo/e hitting the exact line I intended to throw.

8) Port-o-potty in the parking lot always a welcome site.
Cons: 1) Apparently there are two big negati/es . . poison i/y and poisonous snakes . . both which I assume are not big problems in January when I was there, but I felt I needed to include it in my re/iew.

2) The perimeters of the fairways are tough . . . stay in the fairway or you will struggle. I ha/e no problem with that establishing fairways, but at the same time, slightly more forgi/ing areas within the first 5 -10 feet is better in my opinion.

3) Maintenance on the wooded holes could be upgraded to help this course maintain a higher le/el . . . I certainly expect o/er time for this courses ratings to diminish . . . it will remain a great course but the holes in the woods will struggle o/ertime. Turf will be non-existant, mulch will be needed, trees will see some damage and fairways will become more open.
Other Thoughts: This is the more "fun" course but it is also the less /isual course. It is fun for me because I lo/e tight technical holes. It is fun, challenging, and nicely wooded to keep the Texas heat off of you. It isn't quite on par with most 4.5 disc rated courses because it could use some more maintenance, but it is not worthy of the 4.00 rating.

Awesome

1    6/1/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: jbain2012
Pros: Wow this course was a lot of fun very wooded and secluded from the next hole. This is a quiet course that has plenty of challenges but is still exciting enough to want to come back and play again.
Cons: Some tees are harder to find from the basket but not too bad. Some poison ivy so be careful when you miss the fairway.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course and if you make it down there you definitely need to hit this one up.

5+    5/13/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Frank-Flyer
Pros: This course will give you some challenge. It is very technical most of the time. Very crowded by trees requires very solid lines. The trees give great shade in the dead heat of summer and also cut out some of the wind interference. But it does open up to give you a chance to air it out a bit (#14 & 16). The tee pads are concrete and solid, not cracked or falling apart at all. Signs are up at every hole that have distances to pin and maps and any OBs. Also, the grass is almost always mowed. This place is very well maintained.
Cons: The only thing might be getting slightly lost. On a few holes the path to the next tee is halfway or so back down the fairway. (#2 & 8 for example) On a few holes there's also a path that has been worn down that goes no-where that are from others looking for the next tee... but if you are mindful of the signs at the tee, finding the next tee shouldnt be too much of a problem
Edit: The misleading paths would only add about 5 or so minutes to your play. (i realized the word "lost" is kind of strong)

Trash is also a slight problem. There are trashcans placed at most of the tees but there is still trash around. Occasionally #8s can is too full and trash just ends up all around the tee pad.
Other Thoughts: There are new short tees. They are marked with irrigation flags. There isnt distances or signs at them yet but they do provide a good variety. I think they might become permanant if there is positive feedback.

Enjoy this awesome course and throw your trash away properly!! Thanks :)

5+    4/17/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: Riceman
Pros: unlike some disc golf courses that share the land with a park (picnic tables, walking path, etc.), lorch park is strictly for disc golfers.

two 18 hole courses together.

great scenery.

unlike many courses, wind has little effect because of all of the trees.
Cons: poison ivy....that is about it
Other Thoughts: i have lived within seven miles of this park since it has been opened and never noticed it. i have only been playing for six months, and i still get angry that i didn't discover disc golf sooner. this is a great location well worth the drive, and cedar hill has many great restaurants. parking lot is not that bad. my car is lowered and i have no problems. i like this course a little more than beaver, because i don't have to worry about losing discs in the pond.

Fun After Work

1    4/13/2011   4/14/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Very challenging course. Makes you throw low( cause of over hanging trees ) and accurate( again cause of all the trees ). The tree cover is nice on hot Texas days. Nice variety of long and short holes. Never felt like I was throwing the same hole over and over. Fairways are well groomed, no tall grass or weeds to fight with. Most holes had alternate basket placements which would help give the course variety if you played it often.
Cons: Bring a map other wise you will be hunting for the next tee. You have to walk back down the fairway on a few hole to get to the path that leads to the next tee. Some signs indicating where to go from the basket would be very helpful. Some signs at the parking lot telling you where to go for hole one would also be nice. Since there are 2 courses on the land you have to walk through part of Beaver to get to Coyote. Again if I hadn't had a map from this site on my phone I would have been lost. Some tees where covered in a layer of dirt. If I get a chance to play here again I might bring a long a broom to clean off the tees.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course a lot. It really challenged me. I hope to get a chance to play it again. People I met where friendly. Saw one dog with their owner so I guess the park is dog friendly. I would say for the most park the course is cart/stroller friendly as long as you have big wheels.

1    4/5/2011   4/5/2011
Review By: jdw80550
This review was updated on 4/22/2013
Pros: Excellent use of the terrian, with a very high level of difficulty when it comes technical shots.
Cons: Not a lot of shot variety. Only really need a putter, mid, and fairway to play the course. I used my putter for the majority of the shots. Great form work, but I never felt like I had a hole that I could really let loose on.
Other Thoughts: This would be a nice course to play back to back with the Beaver course. Make sure that you bring good shoes and long pants. The terrian is rough and rocky and lined with thorny vines and poison ivy.

What a Fun Course

1    3/20/2011   3/21/2011
Review By: goodolrebel
Pros: What a fun course to play. It's a tight technical course with a couple of bomb,
air-out holes. I love playing the two courses at Lester Lorch, it has a country -wooded feel to it. The course has a nice flow to it, you don't have to do a lot of searching for the next Tee-Box.
Cons: I really can't think of any "cons" for this course.
Other Thoughts: I really like play the Courses at Lester Lorch park. May be one day when I have time I can play both courses back to back. We're lucky to have to great courses right in the middle of the Metroplex.

let me know if you like this review and how I can make them better

Coyotes Can Bite

5+    2/19/2011   3/4/2011
Review By: sheamous
Pros: Extremely technical for a short course. Distances are very short, but Coyote makes up for the lack of length with quality of hole design. You can throw a well placed drive and clip a mesquite stump and still end up in the briar patches. This course with test your skill and your mental patience. If you can play smart and execute your shots, then you can post a good score. At the Cedar Hill Chill some pros had difficulty navigating Coyote safely. That being said every disc golfer in the DFW area is doing themselves a disservice by not playing here. Great course.
Cons: Some of the toughest rough I know of in the area. Stay in the fairway and don't get eaten up. Not really a con for me, as I like this aspect of the course. More of a suggestion for beginner players.
Other Thoughts: I use to dislike this course when I first played it, but as my game gets better and better this course brings out the best and worse of my game. Something I have come to love about this course. Bring lots of water in the summer and fall. It's a long walk back to the parking lot and it can get quite toasty even in the shade of the thick trees. Go play Cedar Hill!