Brandon, FL

Very Good Course Bordering On Greatness

1    9/5/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 3/1/2014
Pros: The course is set in a very nice clean park in what appears to be a great neighborhood.

It has some nice rolling hills, a couple of ponds, well mowed fairways, and plenty of shady mature trees for obstacles.

The tees for the "front nine" are spectacular. They are probably the largest poured concrete tees that I have ever seen.

This course uses the Gateway baskets, and they are very nice.

Most holes have 2 or more pin placements.

There is a pavilion and a few picnic tables.

The course has a high fun factor, with a good mix of short and long holes.

The course is very close to I-75, so jumping off the highway for a quick round is a breeze.
Cons: There are a few navigation issues. The course could benefit from some next tee signs/arrows.

A couple of the holes are missing tee signs.

The baskets have #'s on them, but on some of the holes you can see multiple baskets from the tee, and have to walk down to see which is the correct basket for that hole.

Some of the holes with multiple pin placements have no way of showing what pin is in play, so more walking down the fairway is needed to tell where to throw.

The tees for the "back nine" are as bad as the tees for the front nine are great. Basically they are small and covered with sand.

The course has 18 tees, but shares only 9 baskets. It wasn't an issue when I played it, but I wonder how it would work during peak playing times. IN MY OPINION, I would prefer this course being a 9 hole course with 2 sets of tees, instead of its current layout.

I didn't see any restrooms, but the course isn't too far from civilization.
Other Thoughts: Even with its flaws, I consider this to be a wonderful suburban oasis course that has a lot to offer. I was wondering if there were any houses for sale around the course, and thinking what a great neighborhood this would be to retire in!

Little Hilly Gem

5+    11/4/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: I am rather new to the game of disc golf, and only happened upon this course by accident. However, after coming out to play, I found out how addictive it could be!
A local showed my sons and I the course hole by hole (very kind) and every time i have played since then, I have found players to be extremely polite and supportive. The course itself plays through nine holes through terrain that is made hilly because of a sinkhole/pond by hole 4/13. There are a significant amount of shots that must be made uphill or down which makes for some interesting strategic decisions. The holes range from around 220' to 400 for holes 7 and 9. Nine is a nice, long, sweeping finisher which goes through what can only be described as a valley. The tee pads are nice poured concrete (large) and the disc catchers seem very sturdy. There is a back nine available to the same holes (from different angles) However these pads are much smaller. There are several mandos on the course including a rather tight one on 17. For me the course is a joy to play. Once again, I'm rather new so the course packs plenty of challenges. Better players should have birdie opportunities on most holes, but only after throws that take the trees into consideration....
The first hole has a nice tunnel shot, and is a nice way to start. Basically, this is a great course for newer players, naturally beautiful, and better players should still enjoy.
Cons: I saw no bathrooms or trash cans on the course. There is a pavillion with trash cans, but once again, I saw no bathroom. (possibly just missed it) Also, be aware that the first hole is back up closer to where you drive in. The tee pad next to the parking lot is 3. and, this can be a bit confusing at first. Also a backtrack is needed when going from 5 to 6. Once you get used to it, it's fine! and one more con...Would be nice to have the same concrete pads for the back nine as the front....
Other Thoughts: Overall a very fun, and not too tough course!

My kind of 9 hole course

5+    10/26/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 4/1/2013
Pros: -Concrete Tee's, Tee Maps, Alternating pin placements, Multiple Tee's (also used for a back 9 to make it an 18 hole course)
-Varying terrain, the course is laid out along some sloping terrain. A pleasant surprise in Florida!
-Good pin positions, there was a nice balance of strategy and distance shots. (Though, this would be considered a short course)
-The tree's and landscaping at this park make for a beautiful landscape. It adds to the experience of playing here.
-Gateway Baskets, of which I am quickly becoming a fan!
-They maximized the use of the land, and the layout has a nice flow to it.
-Plenty of uphill and downhill shots
-Bulletin board
-Water comes into play on hole 4 (The lake was almost dried up when I played here though.)
-Big fun factor
-The hilly terrain makes for a nice work out.
-Navigation was easy, although it took me a minute to find a couple of the teepads
-Picnic shelter (I didn't notice if there were restrooms, let me know and I'll update accordingly)
-Good long distance finishing hole.
-One last FYI, the house at the entrance to the park belongs to a Law officer. From what I've heard, he keeps an eye on the park.
Cons: -(First timer issue) Map at the bulletin board was faded, and I had to ask where hole one started. I'm used to the Bulletin board being next to hole #1. Hole #1 is near the entrance.
-Navigation is okay, but 5-7 can get one turned around. The first few times I played here, I would accidentally skip 6 because I would see 7's teepad. 5 and 6 go the same direction, but you have to walk back to find 6's teepad.
-Depending on the basket locations, it's easy to mistake 3's basket from 5's teepad. Done that a few times.
-Fairways are close to each other, and even though it's easy to watch where other groups are and where they are throwing. Stray discs could find their way into your fairway and vice versa. If you pay attention, it won't be that big of an issue.
-Although it's not a huge factor, I didn't see where it notated what pin placement the baskets were in. It appeared that there was 3 or 4 locations per hole. The pins aren't hard to locate, but it's just something I noticed.
-The alternate, or "Back 9" tee pads weren't the concrete slab like the Front 9 tee's. They were more of a make shift teepad with what looked like concrete squares. They looked like they were just marking the tee locations, and will be upgraded in the future. …possibly.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy of these types of 9 hole courses. They are fun and not overly difficult to play, but it also comes with its challenges. Whether you are throwing over a lake (what's left of it), or down a hill, you'll want to consider your line and your approach. The trees here are not dense, but you'll find yourself deciding which side to throw your line. Most of the holes are average for distance, but have some sort of challenge to work around. #9 is the longest hole and it is a canyon type shot. It made for a nice finishing hole back to the parking lot.
When I review 9 hole courses, I always go with the perspective on "Why you should play here". I had a great time here, and it had a big fun factor for me. I was disappointed that I didn't have time to play a second round. It's a lot of fun, and it's worth a trip if you are in the Brandon area. (I.E. on the way to play Medard) Its fun, it's challenging, and it can be played in a short time. It's a little of the beaten path, but it won't disappoint!

Short and sweet

1    3/8/2012   3/11/2012
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: A great little 9-hole course that can be played in under 20 minutes if you are by yourself. There is nothing too challenging, except for the distance on hole 9 and maybe one of the mandos. Each tee has concrete pads and each hole has a sign that gives the hole layout, showing the possible pin locations as well as the mandos. The course is very clean, well-maintained.
Cons: Not really much of anything wrong with the course. The course has alternate tee pads on each hole to make for 18 holes, however, there is not much difference in the tee pad locations.
Other Thoughts: A great course, especially for beginners who are hesitant to lose discs (this would be next to impossible on this course) and are just starting out. The course rewards distance and accuracy by making each hole birdie-able...with the exception possibly of hole 9. Elevated basket is a nice touch. All in all, a great round for players of all skill level.

Quick and Fun

2-4    5/9/2010   5/10/2010
Review By: JohnPSI
Pros: Of the limited choices Hillsborough county has to offer, this one is a gem. You won't find elevation changes like this at many courses in the Bay area. Great use of space and available obstacles, and creative touches like the raised basket make this course unique. Can be played many times and be different every time, due to varied tee's and pin locations. Looks as though it will drain well during rainy season. Course definitely is well maintained.
Cons: Could find two trash cans in the whole park. Layout is a little confusing on some holes for first timers. Although when I visited it wasn't too busy, I can see how it would get crowded easily. Some of the pavered tee pads were too small. I suspect these are temporary, as the course seems to be very well maintained and upgraded often
Other Thoughts: I played this course on quite the whim, as USF's course was closed (despite web saying it should be open)I thought this was a very fun beginner course, that can offer a challenge to a seasoned vet as well. I'm of moderate skill, and I found it fun enough to play through twice. It plays quickly so a second round is easy to fit in. I'll definitely be playing here more!

5+    2/14/2009   2/14/2009
Review By: KRog3rs
This review was updated on 3/10/2009
Pros: Has multiple different pin placements that seems to always be constantly changing every time you come to the course. I come up from here about every weekend and there is always one or two baskets that have been moved. It is a very beautiful course with nice elevations and nice tree coverage. They have a second set of rubber tee pads used as the back nine with different looks from holes 1-9.
Cons: tends to get crowded on the weekends, making it a bit difficult with the different holes intertwining with each other.
Other Thoughts: Limona is a moderately easy course with only a few long holes and plenty technical shots that make it fun for pro's and newcomers.

Short but enjoyable course

5+    12/12/2007   1/3/2008
Review By: Marv Vega
This review was updated on 10/5/2008
Pros: A quick playing, moderately challenging course. Tees are well marked and easy to find. Trees come in to play on most holes. Great course for beginners and intermediate players. A couple of long holes, many short. Nicely groomed and marked. Some elevation changes add some variety.
Cons: Not too terribly complex or difficult.
Other Thoughts: My favorite Tampa area course and the only one on this side of town. My brother-in-law and I play it 2x/month. It's a quick play and we usually play 2-3 rounds per visit. Many of the holes are birdiable by experienced players and the course overall is parrable for many intermediate and advanced players. A scenic course with some nice foliage and elevation changes.