Harrogate, TN
Lincoln Memorial University Share
Uploaded By: Dave242 Hole #9 (Taken 8/2009)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole 9 Tee: ~620' par-4. First shot goes around back of the trees. Next shot curves around the side of the hill.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    8/22/2009   9/19/2009
Pros: I played this course when about half of it was pulled for construction. With the help of the online map, I could see where the holes used to be, so I am reviewing based on that. My review may be invalid if/when the course is laid out again and if the replacement holes are dramatically different than the original holes.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
(The course is very open, but there are a few baskets on or very near huge grassy drop-offs that could easily punish overly aggressive shots or poorly thrown shots with big roll-aways)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C
(About half the holes seem too long for me. Easy 3's but impossible birdie 2's.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C-
(Very open. There is a bunch of good use of terrain that adds some intrigue. Wind would also add a ton of difficulty - I imagine it is quite windy quite often)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The area is in the mountains which is nice, but the campus itself is nothing striking. The arena the course plays around is actually kinda ugly architecturally. No seclusion.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == C
(Like Danhyzer noted in his review, hole 9 is amazing! Like he says, its one the best single hole I have played anywhere.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.