Placerville, CA
Lions Park Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #12
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Disco Era Old School Course With Some Fun Holes!

1    8/24/2012   10/5/2012
Pros: Lion's Park in Placerville definitely has this old school 70's feel to it, kind of like walking into a house with shag carpet and green appliances. Everything about the course feels dated from the older baskets and crumbling concrete pads to the shorter distances to the older signs getting hard to read. Now in defense of this course, this Disco Era/Bell Bottoms feel doesn't necessarily translate to neglected or lack of love, it just means this old course is showing her age, sagging a bit here and there.
Lion's park is a large multi-use park with ballfields, tennis courts, play areas, restrooms and all the other usual park amenities. The course begins up above the tennis courts and features a course sign with info about leagues, tournies, lost discs, etc. Obviously a very active disc community around this parts. The course has benches, garbage cans and older indicator buttons on the signs for basket positions.
After # 5, the course got a little convuluted and harder to follow but I managed alright. # 6 was a cool little uphill throw and then # 8 was a great little ACE run.
# 12 was interesting shot running along the ballfield. I'd be concerned about errant throws interrupting the ballgames. It's also kind of a wild ass blind throw 300' downhill into the canopy of trees. I liked throwing it but....I see some problems here also.
Cons: I saw a lot of areas where the ground was compacted with all the traffic from the course. I hope the enviromental community isn't coming unglued about this problem like they are in all other parts of the country (Minnesota).
These drab older baskets are difficult to spot through the trees/brush.
No boomer holes for those wishing to really crank it up.
The signs were fairly hard to read to places and the course was sometimes a little hard to navigate.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. I'd much rather see a 12 hole course like this that fits than an 18 hole squeezed in just for the sake of having 18 holes. And it's quite apparent that Lions Park DGC gets quite a lot of play. All in all I'd be pretty content here with this weather and this course. There's a lot worse places in the country to play. And that could be a Forum topic, too!

Nice, servicable course

2-4    10/12/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: dcleve
Pros: Very pleasant course in a nice foothill park setting. Not super challenging, but enough trees to keep it interesting. Low use, no waits to get on course. Nice use of high tees for long throws on several holes.
Cons: Only 12 holes, limits diversity of play. First 5 holes are back and forth across a hillside, and start to feel like too much of the same.
Other Thoughts: As a busiiness visitor and only occasional player I find this a nice change from the long waits and 5th hole puff parties of Hazel.

Wheres The Next Tee?

1    4/10/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: tdonovanj
Pros: Concrete Tees
Nice Park Amenities

Cons: No Signs To Next Tee
Other Thoughts: As a beginner, the course was very cool. Not too difficult with some great hole to practice every different shot. Locals were 50/50, one group took the time to give me tips on finding the next tee, another group literally told me to find it myself! Nice guys, thanks for the help! They were drinking so I was not surprised.
The last hole was cool, only 300 ft or so, but huge elevation drop. Launched my Surge right into the middle of a softball game, almost hit the 3rd baseman. But for sure my longest drive...ever! LOL I would give this course a 3 if they put in signs to the next tee and 3.5 with 6 more holes.

Decent

5+    1/16/2011   1/16/2011
Review By: Shuie
Pros: - all the ammenities
- a variety of shots
- great use of elevations
- concrete tees
- alternate pin locations
- holes aren't really long a few 300 +
Cons: - no tee signs
- Course is very wet and soggy during winter
- not seriously challenging unless you are trying to go 6 under or more.
Other Thoughts: Although i can only really list one con. The course isn't that special to give it any higher than a 2.5 rating. all holes a birdie able but u gotta be on ur game to get them all.. the course is great for introducing people to the sport as most errant shot aren't punished very much but it would be a great warm up for Finnon lake DGC which is only 13 miles away

Over-rated Course.

2-4    7/17/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: Yehosha
Pros: -Nice bathrooms.
-Nice playground for the kids to play while you play a quick round.
-Places to sit at almost every tee.
-Elevation changes on most holes.
-Most holes, though short require accurate technical throws for a chance at a 2. A few will make you wish you had a better overhand shot.
Cons: -Very short course. Even if you have a horrible tee shot, par is easily atainable since holes are so short.
-Missing some tee signs. This is a bad thing since many holes are blind so you have to hunt for the basket before you can throw, and I often found the wrong basket before the right one since they are all so close together. Same thing happened when looking for the next tee.
-Missing tee pads on some holes. All the dirt tees are rocky and uneven, and even unsafe on one hole (8 I think) that right after the tee is a steep hill.
-Crossing/super close fairways. Thankfully I was the only one playing. This course's holes are so close together I can only imagine how dangerous this course would be on a busy day.
-Only 12 holes. Yes this is a con, when there are better 18 hole courses nearby.
Other Thoughts: I was pretty disappointed that I chose to play this course while in Placerville instead of playing better courses in nearby Sacramento. I chose this course over the others due to the high reviews. There were only seven reviews and two were 4's and one a 4.5, and I thought man this course is gonna be sweet. After playing the course, I gotta ask, have the previous reviewers not played on a real 4+ star course? I'm guessing not, cause Lions Park doesn't come close to comparing to those.

Don't get me wrong, it's NOT a horrible course, but it's average at best. It's definitely not one I would go out of my way to play again. My review may be overly harsh, but I just wanted out of towners to know this course isn't as amazing as the locals over-hyped it to be with their reviews.

Nice break from or to Tahoe

1    3/19/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Natedog565
Pros: Variety of shots used

Elevation changes

Nice amenities in the park
Cons: Too short of distances and/or rather forgiving

Rocky - no strollers/shaken baby syndrome

Not too challenging

The lay out makes sense and it's not that hard to find the next tee pad because of paths, although it is a bit hard to find the basket without any signs.
Other Thoughts: I didn't knock this course anything for being 12 holes, it would seem bigotry to do so...

I would recommend stopping for a quick game on the way up or down from Tahoe.

The first tee is closest to Ceder Ravine road; it shouldn't be too hard from there because of the worn paths.

This is how the play went for my friend and I: walk the path to the next basket (not hard to find), spend 3 minutes finding the basket because no sign, see that it's (almost) a birdie hole, but hit a tree, then make an intermediate-to-easy-skilled approach shot for an easy putt. We got 2 and 3 over for our first time, I bogeyed the #10 that people have complained about; he double-bogeyed it. Maybe we got lucky, but I didn't think the course was too challenging.

I would like to play it again when all the trees have leaves forming more of a canopy.

Nice but short.

1    3/4/2010   3/4/2010
Review By: Skwirly
Pros: Beautiful scenery.
Challenging course layout.
Tee signs and benches.
Cons: Short. Only twelve holes.( Thirteen if you count the tunnel.)
Variety of teepads. A couple short rubber ones, a few dirt, but mostly cement.
Other Thoughts: It's a very nice course and would be better with 6 more holes. I looked at but didn't play the tunnel hole. It's narrow and dark, sometimes wet. I didn't have a flashlight. There's a lot of elevation change starting off gradual and becoming more pronounced as you go.

Good ole Boys

1    7/12/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: LocalsRoute
Pros: Different than other courses i play which causes you to try new shots that have evolved my game. Great little layout that can crumble the best am players at times.
Cons: yeah its small but thats the only downside besides my own personal problems with the hills being hard to walk now because of injuries
Other Thoughts: The best thing about this course is the LOCALS. Traveling to there weeklys is a must. They welcome you with open arms and truly show the best nature of this game is not how well you always play but to have a good time. I wish our locals would act like this instead of arrogant assholes

Lions Review

5+    6/17/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: corygbaseball
Pros: Different terrain and scenery - This course causes you to use different shots from your arsenal ( Meaning not just backhands or flicks) - Great locals - Solid pins - Definitely challenges you and makes you want to play more than 1 round - A course you could easily get par and just as easily get 8 over. - Mulitple pin positions - Nice Weather - Not usually windy -
Cons: Only 12 holes - Some pins cannot be seen from the tee pad - Many trees that catch discs - Lots of walking -
Other Thoughts: I am a local and I love this course. Lions park always challenges me and makes me want to do better. If you want to play a course that kicks you ass in the beginning, but can be conquered with ease... try this course!

Extreme Disc Golf

2-4    9/20/2008   5/8/2009
Review By: Jolly Green Frolfer
Pros: Crazy terrain! Bring your disposable discs for some of the holes.
Cons: Hard to navigate. Would love to find a course map.
Other Thoughts: Shouldnt be compared to other courses. Its a whole new realm of extreme. Dont bring your grandma. I was wearing flip flops and almost died skidding down the mountain side. You migh actually burn some calories on this one.