Placerville, CA
Lions Park Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #4
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Disco Era Old School Course With Some Fun Holes!

1    8/24/2012   10/5/2012
Pros: Lion's Park in Placerville definitely has this old school 70's feel to it, kind of like walking into a house with shag carpet and green appliances. Everything about the course feels dated from the older baskets and crumbling concrete pads to the shorter distances to the older signs getting hard to read. Now in defense of this course, this Disco Era/Bell Bottoms feel doesn't necessarily translate to neglected or lack of love, it just means this old course is showing her age, sagging a bit here and there.
Lion's park is a large multi-use park with ballfields, tennis courts, play areas, restrooms and all the other usual park amenities. The course begins up above the tennis courts and features a course sign with info about leagues, tournies, lost discs, etc. Obviously a very active disc community around this parts. The course has benches, garbage cans and older indicator buttons on the signs for basket positions.
After # 5, the course got a little convuluted and harder to follow but I managed alright. # 6 was a cool little uphill throw and then # 8 was a great little ACE run.
# 12 was interesting shot running along the ballfield. I'd be concerned about errant throws interrupting the ballgames. It's also kind of a wild ass blind throw 300' downhill into the canopy of trees. I liked throwing it but....I see some problems here also.
Cons: I saw a lot of areas where the ground was compacted with all the traffic from the course. I hope the enviromental community isn't coming unglued about this problem like they are in all other parts of the country (Minnesota).
These drab older baskets are difficult to spot through the trees/brush.
No boomer holes for those wishing to really crank it up.
The signs were fairly hard to read to places and the course was sometimes a little hard to navigate.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. I'd much rather see a 12 hole course like this that fits than an 18 hole squeezed in just for the sake of having 18 holes. And it's quite apparent that Lions Park DGC gets quite a lot of play. All in all I'd be pretty content here with this weather and this course. There's a lot worse places in the country to play. And that could be a Forum topic, too!

Nice, servicable course

2-4    10/12/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: dcleve
Pros: Very pleasant course in a nice foothill park setting. Not super challenging, but enough trees to keep it interesting. Low use, no waits to get on course. Nice use of high tees for long throws on several holes.
Cons: Only 12 holes, limits diversity of play. First 5 holes are back and forth across a hillside, and start to feel like too much of the same.
Other Thoughts: As a busiiness visitor and only occasional player I find this a nice change from the long waits and 5th hole puff parties of Hazel.

Nice break from or to Tahoe

1    3/19/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Natedog565
Pros: Variety of shots used

Elevation changes

Nice amenities in the park
Cons: Too short of distances and/or rather forgiving

Rocky - no strollers/shaken baby syndrome

Not too challenging

The lay out makes sense and it's not that hard to find the next tee pad because of paths, although it is a bit hard to find the basket without any signs.
Other Thoughts: I didn't knock this course anything for being 12 holes, it would seem bigotry to do so...

I would recommend stopping for a quick game on the way up or down from Tahoe.

The first tee is closest to Ceder Ravine road; it shouldn't be too hard from there because of the worn paths.

This is how the play went for my friend and I: walk the path to the next basket (not hard to find), spend 3 minutes finding the basket because no sign, see that it's (almost) a birdie hole, but hit a tree, then make an intermediate-to-easy-skilled approach shot for an easy putt. We got 2 and 3 over for our first time, I bogeyed the #10 that people have complained about; he double-bogeyed it. Maybe we got lucky, but I didn't think the course was too challenging.

I would like to play it again when all the trees have leaves forming more of a canopy.