Little Axe, OK
Little Axe DGC Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #7 (Taken 4/2009)
3 / 184ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Pro Tee

Little Course in Little Axe!

1    7/31/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Nice little course not too far from Norman and the Oklahoma City metro area
- I first wanted to call this a pitch-and-putt course, but it's actually a little too wooded to call it that. Despite the short lengths on a lot of the holes, the throws are pretty tight through fairways lined with trees.
- Course flow is intuitive and wraps around in a circular pattern, kind of like spokes in a wheel. Not easy to get lost here!
- Great course for beginners, and experts will be enticed by abundant ace opportunities.
- Very nice local players (see my "other thoughts" section)
- Hole #9 sort of has a water hazard in play (small drainage creek). Although it was completely dried up when I played here in late July.
- Nice dual teepads and signage. The baskets are actually custom made in the area, but you wouldn't tell by quickly glancing at them! All in all, the course is well-cared for.
Cons: - Very short holes that, despite some tight tree-lined fairways, are not very challenging. Only one hole breaks the 200ft. mark
- Lots of fairway crossing between holes. I forget which holes in particular cross each other, but once you play, you'll see what I mean. Watch for players throwing on other holes!
- Shots are pretty repetitive. Seems like each is a straight shot, and dogleg hyzers/anhyzers are pretty much non-existent. You could probably get by with a buzzz here and do very well. There's also little variety in elevation or terrain (this is Oklahoma, after all).
- Only 9 holes
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate enough to run into two locals when I arrived at this course. They graciously invited me to play a round with them, and I enjoyed talking about disc golf techniques, as well as the disc golf playing scene in the area. Apparently this quaint little 9-hole course is the site of a lot of tournaments and tag rounds. If all of the locals are as nice as these two gentlemen were, I wouldn't mind playing here more often if I lived in the area.

As far as courses go, it looks like Norman has a bunch of excellent courses around the University of Oklahoma. However, if you're looking for a quick round of nine and want to chase some aces, this course is for you.

A Friendly Place

1    3/18/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: When I arrived at Little Axe I was greeted by two locals who introduced themselves as the vice president and some other post of the local club. I got the feeling that they are there all the time and for that reason have been able to spruce up this quaint little piece of land to the point that there is no trash to be found anywhere. Even a gum wrapper wouldn't get past these guys. They have built multiple tee boxes, benches and bridges. There is no doubt in my mind that they have maximized to the n-th degree every usable square inch at this otherwise too small piece of land.

The ace runs are tantalizing. I even heard a chain-out in the brief amount of time I spent here. Aside from being small the land is good for disc golf in that it is woodsy with well defined fairways and landing areas and a small creek. The course has one of the most friendly vibes I have encountered in my disc golf travels. I would not be afraid to have my daughter tag along with me here.
Cons: The land available for the course is too small here, I would not use this course for working on round play or for fine tuning the all around game. This course is great for making runs and sinking the birds, which sometimes is what the doctor ordered. Hole number four, if memory serves me correct, is tight and close to a trespassing out of bounds that have you to hop a fence to get your plastic back.
Other Thoughts: I recommend Little Axe for beginners and ace seekers. It's a shame that the local club does not have more land to work with because they deserve it. This place is very well taken care of.