Layout Extinct

Hole #7

Log Cabin Course

1    8/19/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
- nicely landscaped college campus setting
- gently rolling hills throughout
- mowed grass fairways; no shule, weeds or stickers
- authentic log cabins and giant old oaks all about
- lots of long, wide open holes if you want to air it out
- no crowds or conflicts with other activities
Cons:
- no tee pads or signage
- map is required for navigation
- very repetitive, basically the same hole 18x over
- very little shade; beware during hot weather
Other Thoughts: The Log Cabin course at Berry College is more challenging than most college campus courses I have played simply because of the length. There were several 500+ holes and a few appeared to be 600+ even though this is not reflected on the score card. Perhaps my tee pad placements were longer than what was shown on the map? Plus, the course is really spread out--standing on hole #1 you can see all the way to hole #6 and it must be close to 3/4 mile in length. Be prepared for a bit of walking! I wondered about one of the photos online showing deer all over the place, and sure enough there were wild deer roaming an open field adjacent to the course on the morning I played. I believe the course plays around the section of the campus for student or faculty housing, with beautiful landscaping and giant oak trees lining all of the roads. With all of this in mind, there really is nothing else the course has to offer. There are no tee pads, signs, benches or any other amenities--just 18 baskets and a map. I guesstimated the tee pad placement since there were not even any worn spots to indicate possible placement. You basically air it out, find an open spot past the basket and air it out again. Only a few holes actually have some of the trees in play; if you are looking to work on accuracy, this is not the place. If you want to work on your long game while playing a competitive round, come on down!

Course hurt by recent storm

1    6/28/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: jon_mt
Pros: Not crowded at all, did not see another player. Great Discatcher baskets.
Cons: Recent storm blew over many large, old trees. The trees have been removed and now the course is very open. There are no signs and no defined teepads. Without the map found under the links/files tab, we would have been very lost.
Other Thoughts: Baskets need to be relocated to add more difficulty. With the trees being gone, this course loses a lot of its character.

Open and Spacious

1    3/13/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: Corbie
Pros: Very open and long course, and when I played on the weekend there was nobody around. The baskets are in great shape, and the whole course is well manicured. There are a few tough shots, a lot of birdie potentials and a few chances for an ace.
Cons: Wow where to begin. We drove around for twenty minutes looking for the start of the course. The start location is not very clear From the course directions. I saw one hole that had any kind of semblance of a tee box, and that was just a worn area in the grass that pointed in the basic direction to the next basket. I didn't see any signage at the beginning to show a course map, or at any of the tees. There are no restrooms that I could find, and if you bring food or drink you will have to pack it out with you as well.
Other Thoughts: A few simple markers to show where the tee's are would really help.

Just needs a little TLC

1    11/6/2010   11/6/2010
Review By: thediscinmusician
Pros: The course is spread across Berry College. There are plenty of picturesque holes. The Discatcher sports are in good shape. A good variety of shots and distances as well.
Cons: Boy oh boy, where shall I start. Let's see...

1. There was no MAIN sign that had a course map or any location- not even a sign that pointed towards HOLE 1. Very confusing.

2. There were no tee signs on any of the holes with distance or direction or any kind of marking at all. (*There were "some" white tee boxes laid out with spray paint but they had considerably begun to wear off.)

3. I felt as though there could have been some sort of thing placed near the baskets that pointed in the direction of the next teepad.
Other Thoughts: It was my first time out there and probably my last. I drove 2.5 hours to see some buddies, with intents on playing this course. I had read the previous reviews and it stated it was the best of the ones in the area. If that's so, I hate to see the other courses. Don't get me wrong the land and space is beautiful and with a little TLC (Teepads clearly marked/Labeling of Holes or anything in general/Commitment from some locals to improve this course) I believe it could be a great course. Even if it was something as simple as a small 2x4 board in the ground by each teepad with the number of the hole. Something...Anything. If this course changes and those things are added I could see myself coming back on down the road to play again. Thank you for your time.

Worth the Trip

5+    11/1/2009   10/3/2009
Review By: Psalman
This review was updated on 11/1/2009
Pros: This is the better of the two courses on Berry College, and the best of the three courses in the area. It is well-maintained.

The course is layed out on an open grassy field. It is lightly wooded, so a bad throw won't penalize you much. There is a moderate amount of elevation changes, which the designers have made good use of.

The main challenge is the hole length, so the most important shot is the long ball. Many of the holes are much longer than typical courses. The second challenge is the wind. The open field often has very high winds, which can take a drive 50 Ft off course, and putts can sail over or the hole or die before they get there.

There are deer everywhere. I got within 30 feet of an adult doe while putting.
Cons: This isn't a professional course, so there are no tee pads, benches or trash cans. The tee box is really up for interpretation, but it does allow you to tailor a hole to your personal taste.

There are two large guard dogs on the hole between holes 4-6. I was chased by one for over 100 yards. The owner was apologetic stating the dog's electronic leash much have a dead battery. BEWARE OF THE DOGS!
Other Thoughts: I created a course map and scorecard. I hope they are are of help to you.

#2 has an elevated tee shot.
#3 is a great opportunity for an ace.
#8 is a well guarded pin.
#9 is a very long Par 4 (470-510ft).
#10 is a Par 5 can be played left of the large tree for added complexity.
#11 allows you to throw over a cabin.
#13 is over a hill. The pin is not visible.
#17 is entirely downhill.

Berry Log Cabin

1    5/20/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: First of all this is a beautiful college campus and the students here are all very nice kids. The course is extreemly clean and the grass is manacured and the baskets are all in very good shape. There are deer all over this campus and I even encounterd one on the course around 11am. They are very used to people and don't run until you get quite close. This is a beginner friendly course with enough obsticles available to keep more accomplished players happy. The designers have done a good job of useing the available obsticles, mostly large trees to work difficulty into the course. The land here is about as flat as it gets in Georgia so you don't have elevation change to play with.
Cons: There are no tee boxs that I could find and no signs at all. This leaves things pretty much up to the player as to how much you want to bring obsticles into play and how long you want to make the hole. It is difficult to figure out where the course starts also. Frankly here hole #1 has little meaning. You can pretty much start where ever you want and play until you get to where you started.
Other Thoughts: If you are in Rome the Berry campus is worth seeing on it's own and disc golf is frosting on the cake. The course does not have the marked tee boxs and signs that serious players are used to but it is a fun course and the kids are nice so I will play again the next time business brings back to Rome.

Beautiful course!

1    2/21/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 6/16/2009
Pros: This eighteen hole course weaves itself around several log cabins, hence the name. The course is mainly open and plays across some gently rolling hills along with some flat areas as well. The baskets are near or behind mature trees and/or shrubs on some of the holes. Most of the holes are of similar length with only two being noticeable longer. My guess is that the average is 280'-350' with the two longer holes around 400'. This is a pretty easy course for the most part. It's a good course for beginners to start experimenting with distance without too many risks. There is really no chance of losing a disc. The designers made good use of the area in terms of pin placements.

The landscape is maintained wonderfully. The whole course is exceptionally clean.

The Innova baskets are in great shape and are clearly numbered. This can help you find the pad. All numbers face the tee pads. You can look for faded spray paint or faintly worn down areas in the grass.

Even on a beautiful Saturday it was not crowded at all. We only saw one other group of players on the course.
Cons: There are no signs or markers. There is little evidence of wear on the ground where the natural tee pads are located. After 15 minutes of trying to figure out where the tee pads were I had decided to make up a tee pad for hole one and then play basket to basket from then on. Fortunately, a couple students invited me to play with them. They knew where the pads were located so I was able to play the true course as it was designed. From time to time the pads will be marked with spray paint on the ground. If you show up after the spray paint has faded or if you don't hook up with a local you might have a tough time finding the tee pads.

A couple of baskets were close enough to parking lots/driveways that I felt like I needed to "back off" a little on my drive.

1 and 18's fairway cross but no big deal. It did not appear that this course gets crowded enough to be a big issue. One of the holes plays pretty close to a road so you really have to watch for cars.
Other Thoughts: The course map that is linked from this site is outdated as it is now 18 holes and not nine.

This course is set on the beautiful Berry College Campus in Rome Georgia. There are nice views all around with lots of wildlife as well. On my first trip there were literally countless deer in a field across from the course.

Try to give yourself enough time to play the WinShape DGC while you are visiting. It's less than five minutes away. It is a very fun course. Enjoy!

Great course.....if you find the pads.

1    2/17/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: Sea Bass
Pros: -The Berry college campus is a very scenic setting.Deer everywhere that aren't phased at all by people.
-Great job incorporating the trees available into play. Most holes throw at pins that are well placed between giant old oaks and pines.Looks like in the summer if you dont keep it low near the bucket, you will end up with a meaty putt.Just about every tree on the land used is in play somehow, even though the course is open.Reminds me of George Ward in Birmingham.
-Just good old fashioned fun to play.I really enjoyed this course.Its very possible to shoot low scores out here, but I would not call this an easy course either. It was calm when I played, But i'd bet cash money that with a little breeze, scores go way up.
-There must be a 50 to 1 girls to guys ratio at berry because the only men I saw there were maintenance guys. College girls = huge plus in my book.
Cons: -I found all but 3 of the "official" teepads but i think I got lucky to do that.There were faded spray paint marks on the grass and once I noticed those the course flow made very good sense.Most of the time the next pad was very close to the previous basket (see my next con) and the next basket was visible.
-Holes 1 and 18 criss cross fairways, and the next pad is often within 30' of the previous basket.This is really a non issue though, not many players here.Would cause an issue during tourney play, so thats why I mention it.
-Do not try to use the course map link from this site.It looks like things have been changed out here since that map was made. For one, its 18 holes. Second, there are no 700' holes or anything like that.There are a handfull of holes in the 375 ish range but most are between 280-330 or so.10 and 11 may be 400+, but these were 2 of the 3 holes where I found no pad markings at all.The other was 17.
Other Thoughts: The only thing that dissapointed me about this course was that it turned out to be much shorter than advertised by other reviwers. I was able to reach every hole that I found a marked pad for, and my max d is only in the 380' range.This is not the fault of the reviwers of course, It looks like some changes were made since some of the older reviews.That and I cant stress enough that I WAS THE EXCEPTION when it comes to finding pads on your own out here.Try to find a local guide.

Dont let the negatives I mentioned scare you away from this course. Once you figure out where to throw from this course is a hidden gem.I liked this course so much that I plan on making another trip soon here just to mark the pads.I'm thinking some orange construction flags will do the trick temporarily, hopefully the school or some motavatied locals can do something more permanent in the future.I really like this course and definitely will make the 60 mile trip from canton again.

Log Cabin Berry

1    11/30/2008   11/30/2008
Review By: warren1086
This review was updated on 12/21/2008
Pros: Beautiful course! Awesome wildlife throughout the course. Nice mixture of distances. Some nice downhill holes and with some tailwinds you can get some good distance. I have to say this is probably the most beautiful course I have played but there is a lot of potential for this course. If redesigned by someone who knows what they are doing could be an awesome course. Course goes through some of the on campus living which is pretty cool. It is also close to the Winshape course which is located on campus as well. Locals were very nice but clueless of any knowledge about the course. Since course is on campus im sure the grass is always well maintained.
Cons: No maps, tee pads, and some of the older pins have little rust. No way to navigate this course unless you play with someone who has played this course several times. Myself and a friend basically made up our own tees and even played some holes out of order.
Other Thoughts: With a map and some tee pads this course would be a lot of fun. Don't be scared to ask the locals, they are very nice but most of the people we asked didn't know anymore than we did.

Log Cabin

5+    11/25/2008   11/27/2008
Review By: Fender088
This review was updated on 2/14/2010
Pros: This course is extremely wide open and it has a good deal of distace shots. A couple of holes allow you to play downhill so you can get some nice distance. The scenery is beautiful. I probably saw over 100 dear when I came out around 5 pm. Half of the holes are new. The course now has 18 holes and there are 2 more courses within the town of Rome so you could play 3 in one day without wasting much gas.
Cons: If you're going to play this course without a local then good luck finding the tee pads. My friends and I basically had to make up our own tees or look for worn out pieces of earth to use. Although half of the holes are new at this course, the other half are pretty old and rusted, but it doesn't affect putting too much. Sometimes you can't even see the next hole. My friends and I walked back and forth extensively looking for the next hole to play.
Other Thoughts: This course might have way too much potential. I'm no expert at building courses, but with the amount of beautful land that they had to work with I don't think that they did a very good job. Some holes could be lot further away with all of the land that they have.