2 Helpful / 0 Not
Review From A Local
Pros: - Multiple tees give this small nine hole course some variety. Each hole has three tees as well as a couple of tees for playing backwards. The course plays short from the front tees, but alternate tees give you a chance to stretch out your arm a bit.
- Pretty clean and nice park.
- Looking for some birdies? Lohmann Park is the place for you!
- Pretty easy to follow if you're new to the course, at least when you're playing from the first tee.
Cons: - Parking - If you go to play during school hours (course located behind a middle school), you will have to park a nice distance away from hole 1. This leads to a long walk before and after your round. During non-school hours, parking is fine.
- Nature - Use to be some nice trees that forced you to find alternate routes to get to the basket. Over the last couple of years, the local park district has been cutting down trees that made some holes challenging. This has created a number of open shots for drives and putts (Holes 1, 2, 7 and 9 come to mind).
- If you are new to the course, locating the anything other than the first tee will be difficult, if not impossible. These others tees are not marked at all. Most are just dirt areas of ground and easy to find, while others are very tough to scout out.
- A little nit picky here, but some flood issues on some of the tees. Front tees are limestone, and those boxes have been dug quite a bit, which invites sitting water. Also some locations of alternate tees can be flooded at times after a good rain.
- It isn't just a disc golf park. They also play soccer, football, cricket, and I've even seen rugby there. During these respective seasons, these activities can get in the way of some holes and force you to play the course differently.
Other Thoughts: It isn't the greatest course in the world, but it's all we got in Champaign-Urbana, so we enjoy it. If you're from out of town and thinking about coming to Urbana to play, I would tell you to not bother. It wouldn't be worth your time. However, if you're a U of I college student looking for a place to play, Lohmann isn't that far away. Everyone out there is usually friendly, so say hi to your fellow golfers!
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 4 Not
short and sweet
Pros: It's a short course that sets up well for anyine who wants to play it twice. For the amount of land it's on, there is a lot of different shots. Also, if you're in the area and haven't gotten a hole in one, this might be your course. There are alternate tee locations (posted on a sign by the first hole) that make the course a little more difficult. With the wind, it can be pretty hard.
Cons: The baskets are pretty old and well used. Chains are sloppy. Also, it's the only course in the area and a lot of people play it so the "grass" tees are more like dirt and grit pits.
Other Thoughts: It's right next to an elementary school. I think they frown on you parking in the school lot.
1 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.