4 Helpful / 0 Not
Below average QC course, but not bad overall
Pros: 1) Well named course as this course is set on a very hilly property that seems to be th ehigh point in the county. Again up on top of the Mississippi river bluffs.
2) Very challenging basket locations on many holes. Rollaways are very possible on putts, approaches and drives. Be careful, think your flight out from beginning to end here.
3) Challenge is ever present. This is a positive for this course because I love being tested!!!!
4) Fun elevation changes. These create some interesting shots. There is a lot of ups and downs as well as some that go alongside of hills.
5) Disc golf is fairly well removed from other activities. There are a few walk paths that get in the way of some holes but when I was there, noone else was around really.
6) Pretty nice variety here. There are the hills sure, but there are some mature large oak tees, a couple of ares of pines come into play, some tight wooded shots to execute as well as some open parkable holes.
7) Waterpark and all sorts of other play areas in this park. Come for the day, but you probably won't like to play more than 1 round or maybe 2 as it is a really tough walk!!!
Cons: 1) No signs on this course so finding the tees is very difficult since it is just buried concrete pieces. Your best bet is to look for the dirt spots wore out from repetetive tee offs.
2) This course is a tough walk. Not a huge negative for me because I love what this does for the disc golf shots, but many people will find the walk difficult.
3) Dirt tees leave a lot to be desired. I would certainly prefer throwing off concrete on this course because so much of the shot relys on the drive here. You want to be sure of how you are throwing and I am not the most confident throwing drives on grass or dirt.
4) Hole layout on 13-16 is goofy. There is a lot of switchback walks from basket to the next tee and you can very easily get lost here.
5) Signage needed pointing to the next tee or a sign needs to be placed by each tee. Even a 4x4 post would be enough for me to help navigation.
Other Thoughts: All in all this course presents challenge on most shots. It has extreme elevation changes and some tough basket locations. Ther really aren't any throwawy holes as each one is unique and fun to throw. It lacks the amenities like signs and concrete that are very needed on this course, but it still is a well design layout. It brings into play as many cool spots on this course as possible and I can still appreciate it. I enjoyed it and I would come back but I will make sure to have good traction on my shoes because the grass/dirt tees as well as the walk up and down the hills require it.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Improvements have been made
Pros: I like the variation in holes - elevation changes, length, open vs. clear, etc.
Good course to practice different types of shots.
Cons: Only thing I will mention is that there was a decision made to install a large parking lot in ths middle of #6 fairway since the previous time I had played. It was off-season for the water park that's in the park, so the lot was empty. In-season would make this hole unplayable unless you wanted to cause serious damage to vehicles parked in the lot.
Too bad, because #6 was a fun hole. I have not been back there since the lot was installed and messed up the course. Maybe they have redesigned things to fix the problem.
Update! Just heard that the Park Board is working on a possible re-design to fix the problem. Great news!
Other Thoughts: An alternate tee pad has been provided for times when cars are in the new lot.Looks like problem solved.
Some upgrades have been made. Flat markers have been placed flush with the ground at the tees. The hole number is painted on one, and the distance is painted on the other. Bright yellow.
Also the tees have been moved a slight amount on a few holes to make throwing safer, away from roots.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Cement pads and signs would make this a whole lot nicer
Pros: Well taken care of park with some wonderfully challenging elevation and some scenic views from near the top of the park. Shiny new baskets. Good course for beginners who are not used to elevation to learn on as there is little potential to lose your disc. Not the longest course in the world, but it does have some variation between up and down, short and long. I particularly liked hole 5 which shoots downhill from the water park area.
Cons: No tee pads, well to be correct there are pads, but they are boards in the ground, a number of which have eroded away. Because of this, there is a serious lack of orientation and you can shoot at the wrong basket easily if you don't know where you're going. There are also a number of holes that cut dangerously close to other activities in the park (the pictures illustrate this well). I played in the AM on a weekday, but I imagine this park gets mighty crowded on the weekends with the water park and playground there.
Other Thoughts: I had not intended to play Longview, but a wrong turn put me in the neighborhood, so I decided to stop wasting gas and play this one. While it will never stack up to some of the other quality courses in the Quad Cities, this thing could be a rec level gem if some pads got poured, and some signage put up. If you're in the mood for challenging, you probably want to skip this one. If something more moderated, Longview will fit nicely.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 1 Not
Good Course, Sketchy Location
Pros: Lots of challenging shots. Uphill shots that really force you to put some snap on it.
Cons: Some back tracking between holes. Course lays against a pretty sketchy neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: Last time i played it was really muddy and myself and two friends were walking down a steep fairway and had to gradually increase our speed so not to fall when one of my buddies slipped and fell straight on his face and rolled, when he stood up he had mud all over his face and his hair was slicked up on one side with mud. I almost fell because i was laughing so hard.
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.