Skamokawa, WA
Lucky Mud DGC Share
Uploaded By: fletch Hole #2
3 / -- Par / Distance:

Calling ahead for Bob is a must

1    6/17/2013   6/17/2014
Review By: 12thManJustin
Pros: Beautiful course, my buddy and I stopped here on our way to the Oregon coast last summer and it was the perfect start to our road trip. I called a couple days ahead of time and Bob was there waiting for us, he stopped mowing the lawn to play a round with us. I highly recommend playing the round with Bob, he was a great guide, and pretty good player, you need him to get around the course without getting lost. Additional holes were added as well.
Cons: Pants are not a bad idea, they're medal like plants but worse that'll sting you good if you're not aware; Bob was good about pointing those out. If Bobs not around then don't even bother, the only time he isn't there though is one or twice a month for grocery shopping in Astoria. I've spoken with one other disc golfer who has been to this course and he went on a day that Bob wasn't there; after getting lost a few holes in and losing two discs he bailed. My buddy and I were pretty fortunate not to lose a disc with all the ferns.
Other Thoughts: It was well worth checking out this course, Bob was a great host. The course was really, really peaceful and beautiful. We saw a couple of deer while we're playing the round. I hope to be back again one day.

lucky

1    5/5/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: joshkns
This review was updated on 3/25/2013
Pros: - Beautiful setting
- Well designed course
- Elevation shots
- Lots of wildlife

Everything great about this course has already been mentioned by other reviewers!!
Cons: None for me!!
Other Thoughts: It was nice to play a round with Bob, he is about the nicest person I have ever met. Make sure before you go, give them a call, they are very nice and help with directions.
The homemade baskets or the dirt teepads did not bother me at all, everything just kinda fits into place, a very relaxing and laid back experience.
Make sure you come prepared, the course is secluded and there is not any stores around for snacks or drinks.
Make the trip and play the course, I am kicking myself in the a** for not playing it sooner.

I Finally Made The Trek To Lucky Mud!

1    8/5/2009   8/5/2009
Pros: Previous reviewers, puaahunter, spletts, Doktor John, Gwillin and others have all so eloquently described this place as magical. And although that describes this dreamlike course, I think surreal might be even better. It sits out here, in what seems like the middle of nowhere. This course sits on what is the quintessential Northwest forrest, old growth cedar trees, large sword ferns, moss covered vines and the other plants native to this area. Elevation changes abound. You are liable to see wildlife. Tournament players once walked right by a new born fawn.

To me, the second really wonderful thing about this course is the hole design. There are no throw-a-way holes. Each one is unique, interesting and many are technically challenging. Throwing straight is more important here than arm strength.

The People. The owner, Sunshine, is an aging hippie, now almost blind, but truly a gentle, kindly man. Bob, the keeper of the course is sixtyish and a true disc golf fanatic. He leads all first time groups through the course. His excuse for doing that is to help you with the navigation (it would be difficult without him along.) But I think his inner motivation is simply that it gives himself a opportunity to play a round with folks. Regardless of his reason, by all means, take him up on his offer! He is a gem of a person. Like the course, he is truly unique, a real one of a kind sort of guy. Having him guide you through Lucky Mud is like going to Gettysburg and having Robert E. Lee or USS Grant lead your tour group. His insight into the course and it's history, and the flora and the fauna are not to be missed. His passion for this course and for making it better and for keeping it clean are amazing. Smokers, don't drop that butt. He'll be on your case about it. He led us through the entire 23 holes. And as previously stated, he stands flat footed and throws incredibly straight drives.

There are bits of whimsical here and there. The disc inbedded in a tree. The basket with Cartman on top. Can you make a tough putt with that smart ass sneering at you?

There are two holes over 500 ft., one over 400. Most are in the 200-300 ft. range. The shortest is 195 ft. There are a variety of basket type from discatchers to homemade or temporary ones.
Cons: As easy as it to get totally caught up in the beauty of this course, I feel it does have it flaws which keeps me from giving it a 5 or even a 4.5. Big arms maybe won't enjoy it as much. There aren't any holes for them to really air it out on. The basket variety is not perfect. The natural teepads are fine in the woods but those out in the open areas aren't the greatest. There is quite a bit of rusticness (????) to the course, some people might describe it as clutter, others might call it junk. Depending on your view of such, having an old decrepid green house or junker cars sitting around or a pile of firewood in or near the fairway might be a plus or a minus. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Other Thoughts: Regardless of it's blemishes, this might be Washington States #1 destination course. If not for anything else, then come just for the beauty. Absolutely, let Bob lead the way. Stay at the inn on site. It looks wonderful and inviting.

a real destination!

1    8/4/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: puaahunter
Pros: beautiful location!
well groomed and designed course. as someone said earlier, it felt like the vegetation and elevation really compliments the design and isn't just "there".
lots of holes. [21]
lots of different shots were needed, including one where i actually effectively and intentionally rolled my disc like a wheel.
lots of elevation and environment changes. [deep woods, manicured fairways, park-like lawns]
super nice caretakers.
discs to borrow.
wildlife.

Cons: sort of far away from most things.
i imagine it could have been easy to lose a disc here. i was intentional to make sure i was spotting each throw.

just about every drive i threw hit some part of a tree or another. [con?]
Other Thoughts: i played holes 8-10 with 4 deer this morning. they weren't really concerned with my presence and let me walk past them several times within 20 feet or so. pretty neat.

i really enjoyed my time here at Lucky Mud and talking with land owner, Sunshine, after my round.

he is a self-professed hippie and that's the way i felt about the course: it was homey and charming and well done and in good harmony with the land.

it was a real joy to play.

2-4    3/7/2010   6/13/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/8/2014
Pros: Excellent setting for a round of golf, on many outing here during my eighteen holes I saw lots of wild life including bigger animals like deer. Good amount of challenge with lots of technicality, rolling hills, guarded pin placements and water hazards. The owners talked with me before the round and they were very warm and welcoming. Lots of epic holes here, very fun.
Cons: When I was there a couple of places had very high grass and underbrush, I almost lost a disc, I had to search for a while. If you don't have a local guide with you it could be hard to find every hole. It is in the middle of know where, in fact the road you drive in on becomes gravel and then dirt with a sign that read "primitive road no signs".
Other Thoughts: Beautiful setting with little traffic on a lot of land equals a great course worth playing even driving a long way to get here.