Skamokawa, WA
3 / -- Par / Distance:

Lucky Mud DGC

1    8/30/2016   9/6/2016
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My three pros:

+Considering how remote this course is, i was unsure what to expect with the pads/baskets but all holes had hole number signs, some had concrete tees but most were dirt, there were several different basket types but they were all metal, good baskets no home-made ones like in the pictures. There were benches on several holes, a map at the course start, the BnB is onsite for staying overnite and they are in the works of building affordable cabins to rent. There is also a driving range, a small 9-hole course i didnt get to play and plans for another 9-hole course soon.

+Easily one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played. There are slight elevation changes from the rolling hills, moss covered trees and waist high ferns everywhere. I have always valued the natural beauty of courses and generally enjoy the course more when there's nice things to look at along the way.

+Really cool owners/operators- greeted us as we pulled in chatted and gave us some maps, pointed us on our way and even met us mid-round to send us off with some local goodies.
Cons: My three cons:

-The property is huge so maintenance has got to be pretty hefty, needless to say some of the rougher areas off the fairways were very overgrown and very capable of eating discs. The deep woods I expected to be thick with trees and plants but the more open holes were somwhat frustrating due to the search required to find the discs in the tall grass.

-There is a cool pond onsite that would be cool to throw over but it didnt really come into play (yet my GF still found a way to lose a disc in there)... It would have been cool to move a teepad or basket placement to get the pond into play somehow.

-Not so much a con, but a general annoyance that comes with a course like this is the required spotter. Its tempting to throw without one but every hole has potential to eat a disc, even if you see exactly where it went. As the course signs say "For the love of humanity use a spotter!"
Other Thoughts: I planned a trip to this course into our washington road trip and we were glad we did. Adam and his wife were really cool owners and wish all courses had friendly people like that to greet you. The course was as beautiful as expected with fun holes requiring different shots. Some holes were wide open fields, some super tight woods and all in-between. They have done a great job of taking a peice of property and putting a fun course all through it. While in town we stayed at Vista Park which is truly awesome also and pretty cheap, though we wish we couldve stayed at the inn for the views and cool people. We were so glad we came out- you should check it out too

Best Course I've Played on

2-4    8/6/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: Dlaxdaddy
Pros: Great diversity, lot's of ups and downs, driving range, friendly people/staff and the scenery.

Love the layout and the challenge that this course gives. Can be technical (which I need a lot of practice with) and provides an ample amount of distance driving as well.

I can't say enough good things about this course.

Make sure to call/email ahead of time!
Cons: Can be a pain looking for your disc(s) at times. There are a few patches that can get overgrown, and several ferns that are disc magnets.

1    5/26/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - On the grounds of a beautiful B&B. The owners were very nice and happy to have visitors.
- Elevation is used well. There are up-hills, down-hills, side hills, even some shots that were kind of flat.
- A healthy balance of lefts, rights, and straight ahead shots.
- Well maintained grounds. The fairways were nicely mowed.
- The course had a nice mixture of wide open holes and tightly wooded ones.
- Concrete tees on the original holes and natural tee pads on the new holes on the hill.
- Bob the caretaker of the course is both super nice, as well as being a great guide to show you around the course
- The course is beautiful, from the meadows to the woods, the ferns to the fawns. I could be happy hanging out there even without disc golf.
- New holes feel like an ancient forest with huge ferns and cool old trees throughout.
- Baskets on all 27 holes
- Distance markers along the longest hole, gave you some idea of how far you had thrown.
Cons: - Off of the fairways, some of the holes had waist high grass.
- Ferns on the new holes could easily swallow a disc.
- Signs drop off after hole 14(?).
- Without Bob with you, this could be extremely hard to find your way around on.
- Long drive out here from any major city (not really much of a con)
Other Thoughts: What can be said about Lucky Mud that hasn't already been said? It is amazingly beautiful. You make your way to the course along a narrow road that follows a creek up a valley. It all seems very rustic, then you turn up the driveway to Lucky Mud, and you are greeted by a house that to say the least, looks out of place for the rural nature of the place. The whole place is beautifully manicured. Grass is cut short along all of the fairways. We got there and introduced ourselves to the owners of the B&B before we took off to play. If you have the chance I would recommend staying out there for at least a night to truly get the experience. The front part of the course, up until hole 14 (I think), we played by ourselves, and did pretty well. But as luck would have it, Bob showed up right as we were about to go into the holes that weren't marked well to show us around. Bob is a great guy, always ready with a story and a smile. The golf was excellent, making you think about most of your shots quite a bit before you just huck wildly. You needed to use quite a few shots out of your bag to perform well out here. I've heard some people complain that there weren't enough long holes, but I felt the mix was ok. There is a great amount of risk vs. reward on this course. I took some chances going for aces on a couple holes, and ended up paying for it.
This course should be a must play for anyone traveling through WA. It is truly a labor of love, and you can see by all Bob, and the owners have done out here. Make sure to drop them a few bucks in the lawnmower fund.

2-4    2/11/2011   2/14/2011
Review By: 503myles
Pros: An amazing variety of shots! This course has long shots, short tech shots, and half the holes are in a somewhat open fields, then the last half in the beautiful woods.. Theres an amazing little bed and breakfast to stay at on the course(and the owners are awesome!) Needless to say one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!
Cons: The signs could definitely be better, but luckily Bob( the maintense guy and co-course designer) lives on the land and is there to help navigate if needed.
Other Thoughts: Stay at the lucky mud inn and disc at least once in your life- it's a memory you'll remember forever!

one word; Ferns

2-4    7/20/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: Grublam
Pros: By far the most challenging course I've ever played. The amont of trees and ferns in the way is near phenonimal. The fairways are often about <5 feet. Extremely Challenging. The maintainer of the course; Bob, will play the course with you which is needed. And, he is spot on which helps finding the basket.
Cons: Not the best signed course. This is the only reason I gave it a 4.5 and not a 5. Without bob directing us around the course we would have had a hard time navigating it. And, if you dont like looking for discs, dont play here....Ever.
Other Thoughts: Each round (24 holes) took us about 2.5 hours for three players due to looking for discs and the occasional beer break. And, I was exhausted after one round.

Bob is the greatest guy to play with ever.

Most if not all baskets are now Chainstars

1    5/16/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: jaemes
Pros: I could try to say it better than everyone else that has reviewed the course but I wouldn't come close. The place is beautiful and I look forward to staying. I did not play the entire course but all the holes I did play (and could see) were Chainstar baskets.
Cons: None really. The drive is long but the whole point of this place is to get away from it all.
Other Thoughts: If you are couple that plays this would be great place to overnight on your way to the coast, or just stay for a couple nights as a destination.

Call ahead and please be the best possible person you can be, this is a private course that they graciously allow the public to play. I could see how just a couple of bad apples could ruin it for everyone.

What a dream course!!!

1    6/27/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: spletts
Pros: W. O. W.

I don't even know where to start with this course. Made the drive down from Seattle for a long day of disc...and personally, was wondering what I was going to find that far away from civilization. What I found was:
1. An amazing getaway in the middle of nowhere!
2. A course that is taken care of by disc golfers who care!
3. An amazing blend of open field shots and insane woods shots
4. An insane challenge to anyone who is in a 'comfort zone' provided by playing local courses that offer low to medium challenge. This private course is a mecca for disc golf!!
5. A groundskeeper resident of the area 'Bob' who at 60 something, is a disc fanatic like few I've seen. Willing to play the entire round with us, Bob was an amazing guide, historian of the course, and teacher on how to play the course
6. An unbelievably kind hearted owner named Sunrise that is a person unlike most I've met, allowing his property to be enjoyed by those willing to make the drive in search of disc golf heaven.
7. A 'Mini' course built into the normal course! How fun is it to toss your mini's every once in a while in an actual mini course! Sweet!!!
8. Amazing use of the trees and ground foliage...and of course, BOB being there to warn of of what NOT to step in to avoid itching madness!
9. Views of the surrounding cliffsides covered in green providing a serene setting that just made it impossible to think of the daily grind of life. The ONLY thought there was WOW, this is AWESOME!!!
10. A memory that will last for a lifetime. Worth every minute spent there, worth the time spent driving down from Seattle, worth the time spent in the deep stuff if you went off path (pressure to throw straight is awesome!). THANK YOU to all of those involved with the creation of this course!!!!!
Cons: Wow...that's a tough one. It's so hard to give a course a 5, because I always think that improvements to a course should happen...keepin' it fresh and all of that.
A con to a BEGINNER would be that there are some narrow shots that require accuracy. Throwing off line can lead to some time spent searching the huge ferns for your disc. HOWEVER, this course will force you to practice, so this con is really a pro in my eyes!
Another con is simply the distance from civilization. 3.5 hours from Seattle...and about 1.5 - 2 from PDX/Vancouver....but again, this is also a pro! The day my friends and I went we literally were the ONLY people on the course ALL DAY! Wow, no lines, no noise other than our cheering...magical!
Other Thoughts: I've ranted in the pros and cons about how cool this course is. Other reviewers have stated it and I'll reinforce it...this course is a MUST PLAY for any disc golfer who takes the sport seriously. This place is at a private residence that is a BED AND BREAKFAST! Yeah, that's right, lodging on site for a slice of disc golf heaven. Seemed to be reasonable pricing on that too, so I'd say stay the weekend and soak it up. A truly UNFORGETTABLE COURSE!

Jurassic Disc Golf Park

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: TrailBoss
This review was updated on 6/10/2009
Pros: The ultimate in variety. Too many course layouts have repeat type holes. This course has it all. Super tight woods, Open longer armed holes, semi wooded holes, insane elevation change (uphill, downhill). The scenery and ambience is unmatched. Well over half the course feels like you are in a Jurassic Park or Disney movie. Off the hook rain forest. 4 foot high ferns and well manicured fairways on all the holes that have grass. They currently expanded the course from 18 to 24 holes and plan to add another 3 holes prior to an upcoming tournament.
Cons: Little bit challenging to navigate the course presently, but that should change in the near future. Definitely go in with a map and check in with the local family prior to playing to get any necessary info or updates on course changes. This is a private course. Holes in the deep woods have natural earth tee pads, but I am good with that. They made a decision to do that, so as not to negatively impact the pristine rain forest environment. You would expect nothing less from Oregonians and Washingtonians who have such a high respect for the environment. Not close to anything or easy to get to, but well worth the effort. Can combine this course with Skyline and Trojan for an epic full day of DG, which is what we did, so that makes it worth it.
- If signage and ease of finding your way from one hole to the next was better, I would rate this course a 5
Other Thoughts: I cannot speak any more highly of this course. It was a surreal experience for me. I have played well over 100 courses around the country and I have played some of the nations best and this course to me is in the Top 5 of what I have played, if not my #1. This is a course that should be on everyone's wish list. You can make this a destination event, as the family that owns this property also has a Country Inn/Bed and Breakfast on site. Would be a great weekend getaway with your wife, significant other or good DG buddy. If you plan to play a couple rounds, bring plenty of water and some food to get you through. Not a course for the faint of heart or a course for people who do appreciate some tight and technical woods. If you live in Portland or Southern Washington and have not made the trek to Lucky Mud, what are you waiting for-- Get there!

1    4/2/2008   2/2/2009
Review By: Djza
Pros: Very peaceful and lush. Excellent use of terrain.
Didn't have time to sample the B&B, but hosts were plenty helpful. Not just beautiful land but well designed and fun golf as well.
Cons: I don't get to pass through there much in my travels, but will make a point to stop again when I do.
Other Thoughts: I really liked the homemade baskets still sitting around the pond near the house, and the huge tone-pole in the field.
Wish I could play in the Fern-burner!

Great Northwest Adventure

2-4    7/25/2008   9/17/2008
Review By: thrownow
Pros: Up a beautiful valley above the Columbia River. Super hosts run a great B & B. The course has it all - elevation, beauty, challenge, both open and primordial forest holes. Some courses sit on memorably lovely pieces of land - this is one such course. My 4.5 rating is a conscious attempt to remedy the listed rating of 3.5. It is an excellent course - much more deserving of a 4.0 than any of the other courses we played in WA.
Cons: Newer uniform tees would be nice, but it is tough to find fault with the disc golf experience at the Lucky Mud. Sure - we were lucky on our visit - but I think the Mud helps you get lucky. Bob was our guide both rounds - the weather was lovely and the company amusing.
Other Thoughts: Bring your players (and families) with you and stay the night - we played the afternoon we arrived and were clever enough to stay the next morning for another round.