Skamokawa, WA
3 / -- Par / Distance:

Tranquility/Challenging

2-4    7/6/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: Steve G
Pros: Diversity! Wide open, closed-in, dog legs in both directions. Quiet ..........
Cons: Dense ferns and tall grass = spotters needed.
Signage not up to date makes getting around the backside cumbersome. (never did play the back 10 or so holes.)
Other Thoughts: My gal and I stayed two nights at the Inn and got in some Disc, a couple of times.Jessica and Sunrise are wonderful hosts. The surroundings of the home and the disc course are very peaceful. We'll be back, to stay longer and play more.

2-4    2/11/2011   2/14/2011
Review By: 503myles
Pros: An amazing variety of shots! This course has long shots, short tech shots, and half the holes are in a somewhat open fields, then the last half in the beautiful woods.. Theres an amazing little bed and breakfast to stay at on the course(and the owners are awesome!) Needless to say one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!
Cons: The signs could definitely be better, but luckily Bob( the maintense guy and co-course designer) lives on the land and is there to help navigate if needed.
Other Thoughts: Stay at the lucky mud inn and disc at least once in your life- it's a memory you'll remember forever!

one word; Ferns

2-4    7/20/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: Grublam
Pros: By far the most challenging course I've ever played. The amont of trees and ferns in the way is near phenonimal. The fairways are often about <5 feet. Extremely Challenging. The maintainer of the course; Bob, will play the course with you which is needed. And, he is spot on which helps finding the basket.
Cons: Not the best signed course. This is the only reason I gave it a 4.5 and not a 5. Without bob directing us around the course we would have had a hard time navigating it. And, if you dont like looking for discs, dont play here....Ever.
Other Thoughts: Each round (24 holes) took us about 2.5 hours for three players due to looking for discs and the occasional beer break. And, I was exhausted after one round.

Bob is the greatest guy to play with ever.

Most if not all baskets are now Chainstars

1    5/16/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: jaemes
Pros: I could try to say it better than everyone else that has reviewed the course but I wouldn't come close. The place is beautiful and I look forward to staying. I did not play the entire course but all the holes I did play (and could see) were Chainstar baskets.
Cons: None really. The drive is long but the whole point of this place is to get away from it all.
Other Thoughts: If you are couple that plays this would be great place to overnight on your way to the coast, or just stay for a couple nights as a destination.

Call ahead and please be the best possible person you can be, this is a private course that they graciously allow the public to play. I could see how just a couple of bad apples could ruin it for everyone.

lucky

1    5/5/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: joshkns
This review was updated on 3/25/2013
Pros: - Beautiful setting
- Well designed course
- Elevation shots
- Lots of wildlife

Everything great about this course has already been mentioned by other reviewers!!
Cons: None for me!!
Other Thoughts: It was nice to play a round with Bob, he is about the nicest person I have ever met. Make sure before you go, give them a call, they are very nice and help with directions.
The homemade baskets or the dirt teepads did not bother me at all, everything just kinda fits into place, a very relaxing and laid back experience.
Make sure you come prepared, the course is secluded and there is not any stores around for snacks or drinks.
Make the trip and play the course, I am kicking myself in the a** for not playing it sooner.

I Finally Made The Trek To Lucky Mud!

1    8/5/2009   8/5/2009
Pros: Previous reviewers, puaahunter, spletts, Doktor John, Gwillin and others have all so eloquently described this place as magical. And although that describes this dreamlike course, I think surreal might be even better. It sits out here, in what seems like the middle of nowhere. This course sits on what is the quintessential Northwest forrest, old growth cedar trees, large sword ferns, moss covered vines and the other plants native to this area. Elevation changes abound. You are liable to see wildlife. Tournament players once walked right by a new born fawn.

To me, the second really wonderful thing about this course is the hole design. There are no throw-a-way holes. Each one is unique, interesting and many are technically challenging. Throwing straight is more important here than arm strength.

The People. The owner, Sunshine, is an aging hippie, now almost blind, but truly a gentle, kindly man. Bob, the keeper of the course is sixtyish and a true disc golf fanatic. He leads all first time groups through the course. His excuse for doing that is to help you with the navigation (it would be difficult without him along.) But I think his inner motivation is simply that it gives himself a opportunity to play a round with folks. Regardless of his reason, by all means, take him up on his offer! He is a gem of a person. Like the course, he is truly unique, a real one of a kind sort of guy. Having him guide you through Lucky Mud is like going to Gettysburg and having Robert E. Lee or USS Grant lead your tour group. His insight into the course and it's history, and the flora and the fauna are not to be missed. His passion for this course and for making it better and for keeping it clean are amazing. Smokers, don't drop that butt. He'll be on your case about it. He led us through the entire 23 holes. And as previously stated, he stands flat footed and throws incredibly straight drives.

There are bits of whimsical here and there. The disc inbedded in a tree. The basket with Cartman on top. Can you make a tough putt with that smart ass sneering at you?

There are two holes over 500 ft., one over 400. Most are in the 200-300 ft. range. The shortest is 195 ft. There are a variety of basket type from discatchers to homemade or temporary ones.
Cons: As easy as it to get totally caught up in the beauty of this course, I feel it does have it flaws which keeps me from giving it a 5 or even a 4.5. Big arms maybe won't enjoy it as much. There aren't any holes for them to really air it out on. The basket variety is not perfect. The natural teepads are fine in the woods but those out in the open areas aren't the greatest. There is quite a bit of rusticness (????) to the course, some people might describe it as clutter, others might call it junk. Depending on your view of such, having an old decrepid green house or junker cars sitting around or a pile of firewood in or near the fairway might be a plus or a minus. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Other Thoughts: Regardless of it's blemishes, this might be Washington States #1 destination course. If not for anything else, then come just for the beauty. Absolutely, let Bob lead the way. Stay at the inn on site. It looks wonderful and inviting.

a real destination!

1    8/4/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: puaahunter
Pros: beautiful location!
well groomed and designed course. as someone said earlier, it felt like the vegetation and elevation really compliments the design and isn't just "there".
lots of holes. [21]
lots of different shots were needed, including one where i actually effectively and intentionally rolled my disc like a wheel.
lots of elevation and environment changes. [deep woods, manicured fairways, park-like lawns]
super nice caretakers.
discs to borrow.
wildlife.

Cons: sort of far away from most things.
i imagine it could have been easy to lose a disc here. i was intentional to make sure i was spotting each throw.

just about every drive i threw hit some part of a tree or another. [con?]
Other Thoughts: i played holes 8-10 with 4 deer this morning. they weren't really concerned with my presence and let me walk past them several times within 20 feet or so. pretty neat.

i really enjoyed my time here at Lucky Mud and talking with land owner, Sunshine, after my round.

he is a self-professed hippie and that's the way i felt about the course: it was homey and charming and well done and in good harmony with the land.

it was a real joy to play.

Beautiful Place to Play

2-4    6/15/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: ibrude
Pros: Beautiful course: huge, moss-covered trees, creeks, monster ferns, deer.
Fun, technical, challenging.
We played 3 rounds over 2 days and had the best time ever. Bob was a great guide and the owners Sunrise and Jessica were lovely hosts - gave us a tour of the "big house", the "hobbit house", and the spacious garden...koi pond, tone pole, mini-course, and the fanciest "outhouse" I have ever seen. We played two days and were the only group on the course. Super Nice!
Cons: The only con for me is that it is too far from my house (I live in So. California)!
Other Thoughts: This seems to me like the perfect place to go if you have a spouse who does not play golf. The B&B is really nice (we stayed at Crippen Creek B&B, but I would have loved to have stayed at Lucky Mud too). It's just a beautiful, magical, charming place that happens to have one of the nicest DG courses around!

What a dream course!!!

1    6/27/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: spletts
Pros: W. O. W.

I don't even know where to start with this course. Made the drive down from Seattle for a long day of disc...and personally, was wondering what I was going to find that far away from civilization. What I found was:
1. An amazing getaway in the middle of nowhere!
2. A course that is taken care of by disc golfers who care!
3. An amazing blend of open field shots and insane woods shots
4. An insane challenge to anyone who is in a 'comfort zone' provided by playing local courses that offer low to medium challenge. This private course is a mecca for disc golf!!
5. A groundskeeper resident of the area 'Bob' who at 60 something, is a disc fanatic like few I've seen. Willing to play the entire round with us, Bob was an amazing guide, historian of the course, and teacher on how to play the course
6. An unbelievably kind hearted owner named Sunrise that is a person unlike most I've met, allowing his property to be enjoyed by those willing to make the drive in search of disc golf heaven.
7. A 'Mini' course built into the normal course! How fun is it to toss your mini's every once in a while in an actual mini course! Sweet!!!
8. Amazing use of the trees and ground foliage...and of course, BOB being there to warn of of what NOT to step in to avoid itching madness!
9. Views of the surrounding cliffsides covered in green providing a serene setting that just made it impossible to think of the daily grind of life. The ONLY thought there was WOW, this is AWESOME!!!
10. A memory that will last for a lifetime. Worth every minute spent there, worth the time spent driving down from Seattle, worth the time spent in the deep stuff if you went off path (pressure to throw straight is awesome!). THANK YOU to all of those involved with the creation of this course!!!!!
Cons: Wow...that's a tough one. It's so hard to give a course a 5, because I always think that improvements to a course should happen...keepin' it fresh and all of that.
A con to a BEGINNER would be that there are some narrow shots that require accuracy. Throwing off line can lead to some time spent searching the huge ferns for your disc. HOWEVER, this course will force you to practice, so this con is really a pro in my eyes!
Another con is simply the distance from civilization. 3.5 hours from Seattle...and about 1.5 - 2 from PDX/Vancouver....but again, this is also a pro! The day my friends and I went we literally were the ONLY people on the course ALL DAY! Wow, no lines, no noise other than our cheering...magical!
Other Thoughts: I've ranted in the pros and cons about how cool this course is. Other reviewers have stated it and I'll reinforce it...this course is a MUST PLAY for any disc golfer who takes the sport seriously. This place is at a private residence that is a BED AND BREAKFAST! Yeah, that's right, lodging on site for a slice of disc golf heaven. Seemed to be reasonable pricing on that too, so I'd say stay the weekend and soak it up. A truly UNFORGETTABLE COURSE!

2-4    3/7/2010   6/13/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/30/2011
Pros: Excellent setting for a round of golf, on many outing here during my eighteen holes I saw lots of wild life including bigger animals like deer. Good amount of challenge with lots of technicality, rolling hills, guarded pin placements and water hazards. The owners talked with me before the round and they were very warm and welcoming. Lots of epic holes here, very fun.
Cons: When I was there a couple of places had very high grass and underbrush, I almost lost a disc, I had to search for a while. If you don't have a local guide with you it could be hard to find every hole. It is in the middle of know where, in fact the road you drive in on becomes gravel and then dirt with a sign that read "primitive road no signs".
Other Thoughts: Beautiful setting with little traffic on a lot of land equals a great course worth playing even driving a long way to get here. Bob will more than likely find his way to play with you and he is a bit annoying but he's a nice guy.