Skamokawa, WA

1 2 Next >
 What a dream course!!!

1    6/27/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: spletts
Pros: W. O. W.

I don't even know where to start with this course. Made the drive down from Seattle for a long day of disc...and personally, was wondering what I was going to find that far away from civilization. What I found was:
1. An amazing getaway in the middle of nowhere!
2. A course that is taken care of by disc golfers who care!
3. An amazing blend of open field shots and insane woods shots
4. An insane challenge to anyone who is in a 'comfort zone' provided by playing local courses that offer low to medium challenge. This private course is a mecca for disc golf!!
5. A groundskeeper resident of the area 'Bob' who at 60 something, is a disc fanatic like few I've seen. Willing to play the entire round with us, Bob was an amazing guide, historian of the course, and teacher on how to play the course
6. An unbelievably kind hearted owner named Sunrise that is a person unlike most I've met, allowing his property to be enjoyed by those willing to make the drive in search of disc golf heaven.
7. A 'Mini' course built into the normal course! How fun is it to toss your mini's every once in a while in an actual mini course! Sweet!!!
8. Amazing use of the trees and ground foliage...and of course, BOB being there to warn of of what NOT to step in to avoid itching madness!
9. Views of the surrounding cliffsides covered in green providing a serene setting that just made it impossible to think of the daily grind of life. The ONLY thought there was WOW, this is AWESOME!!!
10. A memory that will last for a lifetime. Worth every minute spent there, worth the time spent driving down from Seattle, worth the time spent in the deep stuff if you went off path (pressure to throw straight is awesome!). THANK YOU to all of those involved with the creation of this course!!!!!
Cons: Wow...that's a tough one. It's so hard to give a course a 5, because I always think that improvements to a course should happen...keepin' it fresh and all of that.
A con to a BEGINNER would be that there are some narrow shots that require accuracy. Throwing off line can lead to some time spent searching the huge ferns for your disc. HOWEVER, this course will force you to practice, so this con is really a pro in my eyes!
Another con is simply the distance from civilization. 3.5 hours from Seattle...and about 1.5 - 2 from PDX/Vancouver....but again, this is also a pro! The day my friends and I went we literally were the ONLY people on the course ALL DAY! Wow, no lines, no noise other than our cheering...magical!
Other Thoughts: I've ranted in the pros and cons about how cool this course is. Other reviewers have stated it and I'll reinforce it...this course is a MUST PLAY for any disc golfer who takes the sport seriously. This place is at a private residence that is a BED AND BREAKFAST! Yeah, that's right, lodging on site for a slice of disc golf heaven. Seemed to be reasonable pricing on that too, so I'd say stay the weekend and soak it up. A truly UNFORGETTABLE COURSE!

2-4    3/7/2010   6/13/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/8/2014
Pros: Excellent setting for a round of golf, on many outing here during my eighteen holes I saw lots of wild life including bigger animals like deer. Good amount of challenge with lots of technicality, rolling hills, guarded pin placements and water hazards. The owners talked with me before the round and they were very warm and welcoming. Lots of epic holes here, very fun.
Cons: When I was there a couple of places had very high grass and underbrush, I almost lost a disc, I had to search for a while. If you don't have a local guide with you it could be hard to find every hole. It is in the middle of know where, in fact the road you drive in on becomes gravel and then dirt with a sign that read "primitive road no signs".
Other Thoughts: Beautiful setting with little traffic on a lot of land equals a great course worth playing even driving a long way to get here.

Magical, Epic and Amazing labor of love

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Beautiful area
Old growth dense forest
Amazing flora that I've never seen on any other course (I've played 273 as of today)--like 3 to 4 foot ferns and devil's club--and it all comes into play on many holes to create some very unique challenges
Awesome elevation changes
Nice variation of holes...hyzers, anhyzers, laser shot straight aways, very technical wooded ones with every type mentioned above and classic uphill and downhill shots
Great risk and rewards shots
A good variation of lightly wooded to extremely dense technical wooded holes
Every hole (even the intensely dense wooded ones) have very definite paths to the basket
Very good flow
Good signage at each hole with distances
Good tees on the open holes--cement tees not allowed in the woods but the natural tees were well marked, level and generous
Well manicured fairways
Baskets well marked so they can be seen in the woods
Great hosts
Lodging available on site
Awesome destination course
Free use discs available at first tee
Cons: Given the terrain and the environmental commitment of no cement tees in the woods (which I really appreciate) I can't think of any cons
Other Thoughts: IMHO this course is a MUST play (or at least should be on every wish list) for any serious disc golf enthusiast.
The word we kept uttering on the first 4 or 5 holes was "Magical"
This course is worth being an anchor course on any Northwest road trip
We had the honor of Bob, the grounds keeper, giving us a guided tour of 6 new holes that were just added...
If you get a chance to play with Bob--you need to do it...the guy stands flat footed and throws a lazer straight drive 200 to 250 feet...his insight on paths to the basket are invaluable

Jurassic Disc Golf Park

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: TrailBoss
This review was updated on 6/10/2009
Pros: The ultimate in variety. Too many course layouts have repeat type holes. This course has it all. Super tight woods, Open longer armed holes, semi wooded holes, insane elevation change (uphill, downhill). The scenery and ambience is unmatched. Well over half the course feels like you are in a Jurassic Park or Disney movie. Off the hook rain forest. 4 foot high ferns and well manicured fairways on all the holes that have grass. They currently expanded the course from 18 to 24 holes and plan to add another 3 holes prior to an upcoming tournament.
Cons: Little bit challenging to navigate the course presently, but that should change in the near future. Definitely go in with a map and check in with the local family prior to playing to get any necessary info or updates on course changes. This is a private course. Holes in the deep woods have natural earth tee pads, but I am good with that. They made a decision to do that, so as not to negatively impact the pristine rain forest environment. You would expect nothing less from Oregonians and Washingtonians who have such a high respect for the environment. Not close to anything or easy to get to, but well worth the effort. Can combine this course with Skyline and Trojan for an epic full day of DG, which is what we did, so that makes it worth it.
- If signage and ease of finding your way from one hole to the next was better, I would rate this course a 5
Other Thoughts: I cannot speak any more highly of this course. It was a surreal experience for me. I have played well over 100 courses around the country and I have played some of the nations best and this course to me is in the Top 5 of what I have played, if not my #1. This is a course that should be on everyone's wish list. You can make this a destination event, as the family that owns this property also has a Country Inn/Bed and Breakfast on site. Would be a great weekend getaway with your wife, significant other or good DG buddy. If you plan to play a couple rounds, bring plenty of water and some food to get you through. Not a course for the faint of heart or a course for people who do appreciate some tight and technical woods. If you live in Portland or Southern Washington and have not made the trek to Lucky Mud, what are you waiting for-- Get there!

1    4/2/2008   2/2/2009
Review By: Djza
Pros: Very peaceful and lush. Excellent use of terrain.
Didn't have time to sample the B&B, but hosts were plenty helpful. Not just beautiful land but well designed and fun golf as well.
Cons: I don't get to pass through there much in my travels, but will make a point to stop again when I do.
Other Thoughts: I really liked the homemade baskets still sitting around the pond near the house, and the huge tone-pole in the field.
Wish I could play in the Fern-burner!

Pleasant Surprise

1    11/1/2008   11/21/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Enjoyable and contemplative drives
-Mostly decent tee-pads
-Very fair, lefty vs righty, etc
-Great variety of short technical, all the way to long fairly open, everything in the middle. Even water hazards on three or four holes.
-Elevation! Plenty of it, and well implemented.
-Scenic beauty. From Primordial forests with ferns the size of cars, to mountainous ridges above, you get a really nice feeling playing here. Very peaceful place.
-Bed and Breakfast! Drive out there, stay a night or two, play golf, go to the beach, whatever.
-Well maintained grounds.
-Very friendly staff at B+B
-Discs available to borrow, in case you are short on some, or bring friends who don't have their own discs.
-I'm sure there's more Pros that I'm forgetting.
-Yearly tournament, "The Fernburner" brings a lot of people out there.
Cons:
-Random mix of baskets (they are slowly all being replaced with Chainstars, though)
-Some questionable tee-pads, not a big deal, most were adequate.
-Quite a drive away from any cities, which is also a Pro depending on how you look at it ;)

Other Thoughts: I can honestly say that I DID NOT have high hopes for this course when I decided to drive up there a couple weeks ago with my g/f. Friends had been telling me about it for a long time, telling me I'd really enjoy it, and for some reason I just wasn't buying it. I think it had to do with the "course on someone's land in the middle of nowhere designed by a golfer I'd never heard of" part. I've played plenty of those types of private courses and generally...they suck. When we got out there and were greeted by a couple of the people that lived there, and then saw hole one, a spark of hope leapt forward in my heart.

Well, it turns out the place is pretty fantastic as far as golf courses go. And as far as experiences go, it's way up there! I can't wait to get a chance to go up there and stay a night at the Inn and golf my heart out. The terrain and foliage are perfect for a course. Lots of elevation, lots of woods, but well thought out holes that play with the terrain, rather than "over" it.

The only thing that I didn't like was the baskets, which wasn't a big deal really. The fact that the guy that runs the course is active in replacing the old, falling apart, home-made baskets with Chainstars is great. And there is a "Basket Donation" bucket at the front door of the Inn. Drop a couple bucks (or more) in there as a thank you for them opening there world to the rest of us.

When all the baskets are replaced, I'll probably change my course rating to a 4 or maybe higher.

Good design, wonderful land, great hosts, fun times.

Great Northwest Adventure

2-4    7/25/2008   9/17/2008
Review By: thrownow
Pros: Up a beautiful valley above the Columbia River. Super hosts run a great B & B. The course has it all - elevation, beauty, challenge, both open and primordial forest holes. Some courses sit on memorably lovely pieces of land - this is one such course. My 4.5 rating is a conscious attempt to remedy the listed rating of 3.5. It is an excellent course - much more deserving of a 4.0 than any of the other courses we played in WA.
Cons: Newer uniform tees would be nice, but it is tough to find fault with the disc golf experience at the Lucky Mud. Sure - we were lucky on our visit - but I think the Mud helps you get lucky. Bob was our guide both rounds - the weather was lovely and the company amusing.
Other Thoughts: Bring your players (and families) with you and stay the night - we played the afternoon we arrived and were clever enough to stay the next morning for another round.

Lucky Mud DGC

2-4    3/7/2010   4/18/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 6/25/2011
Pros:
Lucky Mud DGC is nestled in the foothills around beautiful scenic farmland literally out in the middle of nowhere. The ameneties on this private course are excellent. The owners here have a wonderful little bed and breakfast spot that includes fantastic food, comfortable and affordable rooms, and live music.

The course itself has lots of challenges which include rolling hills with elevation shots, a water hazard requiring players to throw over and around the natural pond, and several native trees and plants densly populating the course throughout. Pin placement is challenging and most baskets are in good shape (baskets are constantly being updated). The course is well manicured and maintained, making this area truly enchanting. Each hole allows for multiple approaches which means it requires several types of shots and strategies. Tight fairway shots, elevated drives and putts, and difficult narrow approaches are all a must so accuracy is key. Since it is on private land, there is always someone on the property willing to navigate (Ol' Bob) and even willing play a round or two.
Cons:
Considering it is private and the fact they are so welcoming, it is hard to come up with many cons. However, the tees eventuallly could be re-done so that they are longer and wider, and some were natural but needed to be cement.

The signs at each hole seemed to be missing or needed to be updated as well. Without a guide, it would be fairly easy to get lost, especially around the newer holes up in the woods. More arrows guiding people toward the next tee would be helpful as well.
This course is a lot of fun and quite the experience. It is beautiful, and the owners did a wonderful job using the area they had. This is the best course I have played yet on private land that is not a pay to play. I recommend this course to anyone traveling through or looking for a nice little getaway. My hats off to the wonderful people who helped put this hidden gem on the map.

Also, if you have the time, I recommend trying to play Skyline DGC and Trojan Park as they are close by and equally and enjoyable!

1 2 Next >