3 Helpful / 0 Not
Fun Pitch and Putt
Pros: Lum Park is just a little more than a pitch and putt but is still a fun play. Located just outside down town Brainerd it is a must play for anyone in the area camping, fishing biking, hiking or enjoying any number of other recreational activities this area has to offer. Lum Park is a nice setting for a 9 hole disc golf course with big mature trees and a small stream that comes into play on a few holes. The park is right on the edge of Rice Lake so if the family is going fishing and you're not the fishing type this course is perfect for you.
1. Adequate signage at each hole with hole number, par rating and hole length.
2. Good flow that is easy to follow for the most part. The last few holes get a bit confusing the first time threw.
3. Great uses of available land and obstacles. The stream is used very well on 5 of the 9 holes.
4. Great course to introduce new players to the game.
5. Good variety of shot requirement with the exception of long bombs. The course is fairly technical and forces you to hit you line on most holes. Big arms need not bring drivers though I played most of the course with a putter.
6. Good risk reward opportunities on the holes with the stream.
7. The park grounds are very well kept.
8. Fast rounds.
9. Lots of other activities in the area.
Cons: There are some let downs at this course. The baskets suck really bad, missing chains, holes in the basket that let disc's slip through. Hole 4 has a brand new DGA basket and if the rest of the course had these it would instantly bump the rating up by at least .5.
1. Baskets are garbage with the exception of #4.
2. Natural tee pads that are a bit rutted but not too bad.
3. The course is mostly flat. Hole #1 has a basket on a hillside that makes rollway's very prevalent but other than that there is no elevation to speak of.
4. This park could get really busy on a nice day.
5. Not a long course, big arms will not be able to use them.
6. If there is a lot of rain the ground can get really wet and there can be lots of bugs
Other Thoughts: If the city put in some cement tee pads and updated all the baskets this course would be a lot more fun. It is not bad as it is but with just a few improvements it would be much better. Brainerd has lots of other activates so if you are in the area this course is an easy play that is not out of the way. It is nowhere near a destination course but is worth a few throws if you are in the area.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Pros: Easy to navigate and has hole makers on tee-off boxes. There is a good chance for an ace on this course. Nice overlook of the lake on front holes.
Cons: There can be water on a few holes depending on how wet the season is. A few holes run into each other, which can get messy. (If I can remember right it is holes 6 &7) A few of the home-made baskets are in need of repair.
Other Thoughts: This is a short technical course with only one or two holes to test distance. A good job of fitting nine holes in a small space. This area is in need of another course making this course very busy at times. A fun course to play and recommended.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.