Lutsen, MN
Lutsen Resort Share
Uploaded By: adampietig Hole #4 (Taken 3/2012)
3 / --   3 / 225ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Fun quick course

2-4    12/26/2012   1/29/2013
Review By: bsnone
Pros: Fun little 9 hole course up on the north shore. Decent baskets and some beautiful views of the lake coming down the hill on 6-8. Decent baskets. Probably a great beginner course for those looking for something else to do while staying at the resort.
Cons: Not the best teepads - can be hard to find so be sure and get the map. I guess they often charge to play but I took my Dad out and we were allowed to play without paying. Not a lot of variety between the holes and with the exception of one hole, very wide open.
Other Thoughts: Nice way to kill 45 minutes and introduce someone to the game but for anyone with even a little experience, this is a fairly vanilla/boring layout. I'd never call what the call par 4's anything close to a par 4 but again, for the casual guest it probably makes for a more enjoyable round.

Great Course at Lutsen Resort

1    8/11/2011   5/24/2012
Review By: Smileyaili17
This review was updated on 6/1/2012
Pros: --Great course for a casual game
--A good assortment of different holes that require many different shots (some finesse, some anhyzers, and some hyzers)
--Good baskets
--Lawn seems to be mowed regularly since it is placed next to a 9-hole, 9-iron golf course
--Great course for the small amount of space it was built on, it looked like the designer knew what he was doing!
Cons: --You need to either be staying at Lutsen Resort or pay $5 to play
--Not too much of a challenge (not a con if you want a casual game of course), and the holes are not as long since it's played on what seemed to be about a 3 acre lot
--Played alongside a 9-hole, 9-iron golf course which caused some interference when I played
--It is a little bit of walk up the hill from the main resort, which makes it confusing for the first timers (I would just ask the people inside where the course is, who should tell you when you pay anyway)
Other Thoughts: This course is a better option than Adventure Games up the road. The experience I had with this course far outweighed Adventure Games, which I had played only an hour or so before. My family used to stay at Lutsen, and I can recommend both the resort and the DG course nearby, so if you stay at the Lutsen resort, definitely try the DG course out! It's worth it.

I wanted to rate this course a 3, but because it is played next to a 9-iron 9-hole golf course and built on a small lot, it simply doesn't cut it for a 3.

Grading Criteria:

Landscape quality
5/5

Baskets, Tees and Hole Diagrams
3/5

Variety in hole distances
2/5

Variety in hole types
(field/wooded holes; hilly/level holes; etc)
1/5

Difficulty/Challenge
2/5

Course flow

Outside interference
(pedestrians; traffic noise distractions; etc)
1.5/5

Fun factor
3.5/5

Pay to play worthy? (only applies to pay to play courses)

Use of Available Land
4/5

Total score: 3/5

northern Theo Wirth

5+    6/25/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: djschnabel
Pros: Disc golf on the north shore. Easy to follow flow. I like the rocks that have the distance and hole number on them. There is a HUGE red flag on top of each basket, so it's very easy to see which basket you're shooting for.

Hole 1, either a FH or anhyzer for a RH player, not to far, perfect distance to get loose.

Hole 2, Perhaps my favorite hole. You walk back towards the lake, across a small bridge, and throw towards the west across said bridge, over a road (?) and let it hyzer back. Elevation is a key here, even though the distance is not long, your throw better be.

Hole 3, longest playing hole on the course, once again you throw between a few trees at the beginning, but then it really opens up.

Hole 4, second favorite hole on the course. I think the distance on this site is incorrect, but it's a shorter hyzer into the woods on your left. If you hit the gap just right, you've got a shot for a birdie, if not, even laying up for a par is difficult.

Hole 5, throwing through a few trees at the beginning (seems to be a trend) and then a nice easy medium distance shot into the basket you can see when people drive by on HWY 61.

Hole 6, probably the most aceable hole on the course, except for when the wind blows off of the lake, which it typically does.

Hole 7, another easy open shorter fairway drive (BUZZZ).

Hole 8, the longest distance hole on the course, but you are playing downhill, I throw a shot that I typically use on 280-300 foot holes, to reach the 376.

Hole 9, a nice easy midrange shot back towards the townhomes. The basket is protected by trees on both sides, so let it rip.
Cons: The baskets seem to be a mix of a Mach 14 (top) and a kingpin (basket). The height of the basket top seems to be shorter than typical, and they lack inner rings.
Other Thoughts: Very solid course on the north shore. If it was closer to home (Twin Cities area), I don't know if I would go too far out of my way to play it, probably 2-3 times a year, but it is the most professional looking out of the three area courses. The grass is taken care of, alleviating the chances of taking a ton of time finding a disc in the fairway. There are small patches of taller grass spread out throughout the course, which show you the way towards the next basket, defining fairways.

On a golf course? Yep, but vacation isn't vacation without discin'.

1    9/1/2009   12/4/2009
Review By: owlontheground
Pros: *disc golf in a relatively remote area
*map of the course
*makes good use of the land (although 9-iron golf course could cause problems)
*friendly staff (they let me play for free due to slow day)
*good course for beginners and families who are staying at the resort
*discs are available for rent at the resort desk
Cons: *Golfers, golfers, golfers!!?! Tee pads and some baskets run alongside a 9-iron golf course. Fortunately, when I played, no golfers were present, but I cannot imagine golf balls flying around while trying to disc. The set up would also seem to be capable of promoting conflict between disc and traditional golfers.
*due to it's proximity to Lake Superior, I was hoping for some good views. This isn't so.
*pay to play if you are not a resort guest, but hey, it's a resort so what do you expect?
Other Thoughts: Every year, I spend a week on the North Shore of Lake Superior at an old family cabin. Being new to disc golf, this was my first year trying the course at Lutsen. With the resort's proximity to Lake Superior, I was hoping for some great views and scenic holes.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the course is on the same area as a tiny golf course. Please see above comments.

This course would not be worth the drive alone, but if you like discin' and are in the neighborhood, it fills the need.

The course would be nice for families who are staying at the resort and are not disc regulars as the course is not too challenging (It was extremely windy when I played it).

Although I was not blown away (although my throws were) by the course, I will play it every year when I am up north moving forward.