Lutz, FL
Lutz Executive DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #2 (Taken 5/2013)

What did I just pay to play?

2-4    10/20/2013   10/20/2014
Review By: Apsey
Pros: -It's a disc golf course
Cons: -These baskets are weird in every sense of the word. They don't even provide a satisfying "ching" when you sink a putt.
-Yes, elevation is rare in Florida...but that doesn't mean put every basket on a nipple so you have an elevated putt.
-Course is shared with ball golfers
-Costs money to play
-Fly mats are torn
-Sometimes can be confusing or hard to tell which basket you're throwing to. (18 basket, 9 tee pad format)
-Not even your typical beautiful golf course. As also a ball golfer I wouldn't play this as an executive course.
Other Thoughts: I don't like giving bad reviews because I never want to discourage people from putting in disc golf courses to grow the sport. But this left a lot to be desired. Especially now a days where parks and private owners are starting to invest a lot of money for an incredible disc golf experience.

They should offer a Disc Golf/Ball Golf combo package

1    5/24/2013   5/24/2013
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/28/2013
Pros: -Located on the Rolling terrain of a beautiful Ball Golf Course.
-Well maintained course, Trash cans located throughout the course.
-Varying lines, lots of opportunities for finesse, flex, and helix shots.
-A very nice map/scorecard, that is exclusive to the DG course, is available in the proshop
-Baskets: They are homemade, Some people don't like them, I didn't have a problem with them.
-Water & Soda available in the proshop. (*note, you have to spend $6 in order to use a credit card)
-Good basket placement! The course was well laid out;especially for being in such a tight area. (It's a 9 hole ball golf course)
-Navigation was simple though you may have to look for the basket*. By the time you finish the front 9, you'll know where the baskets are for the back 9.
-The course has a nice flow to it, and it stays in sync with the Ball Golf course.
-Interesting Risk/Reward on the water hazard. (#7 & #16) (You can opt for the Safety Route)
-Tee marker pole, with distance and maps of pin location painted on them.
-Some tee's tee off from on top of a hill! Very cool scenic shots! (Hills are rare in Florida)
-Two Baskets per Teepad, I like this setup better than two tees per one basket.
Red basket for the front 9
Blue Basket for the back 9
-For a 18 Basket/9 tee course, the setup was actually quite nice. Your second round will be different from the first. They did a good job with the layout! You will feel like you've gotten in 18 holes, rather than 2 rounds of the same 9.

FWIW
-Really nice little 9 hole Ball Golf course. It's not some pretentious Golf club; it's a Mom & Pop course. Half way through the DG course, I started thinking "I'm going to dig out my clubs and come back and play a round of Ball Golf. It's a nice little place to play both sports!
Cons: -This may not be as widely accepted in Ball golf, but some benches would be nice. It takes ball golfers longer to hole out, than Disc Golfers. And depending on how busy it is, you may find yourself waiting a few times. I had a seat on the ground a couple of times.
-Wind, Now this is common in SW Florida on any type of open course. With all of the hills, this can create cross currents that you may not be aware of at the tee.
-Fairways are close together. The course feels kinda tightly packed in. It is possible for your disc to head towards another fairway, just pay attention. Mainly for busy days
-Crowded ; I played here during the week, and it wasn't very busy. During the weekends though, it may be a lot busier, and you'll have to wait in line.
-Sprinklers on the course will go off and on a during the day on a timer system. Depending on how close you are and how hot it is will determine whether it's a pro or a con. It was hot out the day I played here. I stuck my head in the sprinklers a couple of times to cool off.
-Teepads, were mats that were laid out. Some were in rough shape. (Ball Golf courses typically don't want concrete teeboxes poured on the course. )
Other Thoughts: I had a really good time here! I was pleasantly surprised! I'd say this course is more for those players that live in the area. I drove up from Tampa and felt it was worth the drive. I had a good time! The course gives you the opportunity to throw some finesse shots, as well as some long distance shots. I just wish the wind wasn't as strong the day I played here. The course has a good balance of left/right shots, then the R/L shots are flipped on the back 9. Some of the baskets sit on top of a small hill, and the wind can just wreak havoc on your putt. I can't tell you how many times my putter General Lee'd over the basket the day I played here! The scenic beauty of this course is well worth a visit! You just don't see rolling hills in Florida!

I have no problem paying $6 to play here. No, it's not Cliff Stephens or Coachman, but a good time can still be had. I'd recommend this course to locals, more so than travelers. If I was traveling through, I can't say I'd put it high on my list, but living here I could definitely see myself going back to play there again. It has a good fun factor! As I typed that, I felt I need to say this: If this course were to be busy, I could see that fun factor being diminished waaayy down! I know what it's like to try to play Disc Golf on a crowded Ball Golf course. It's excruciating! If you live here, drive up and check it out! It may not be for everyone, but then again, you may be a little surprised! If you play ball golf, bring your clubs! As I said earlier, it looks like a nice little 9 hole Ball golf course as well!

-Note: There are a few Course Rules here, these are per the management:
1. Greens are OB! If your disc lands on the green, pick it up and walk it off of the green. DO NOT THROW FROM THE GREEN! Also, if your disc does land on the green, please fix your divot.
2. Second Note: If you go into a Sand Bunker, rake the bunker when you leave.

Garbage

2-4    7/20/2009   7/20/2012
Review By: v0nn3gut
Pros: ...there are no racist zombie sales people on the course?
Cons: It's shared with golfers. It's too expensive. The baskets are awful. Many of the pins are set on the tops of hills making it even harder to get your disc into the terrible baskets.
Other Thoughts: There are many other options in the bay area. I used to live minutes from this course but I would always gladly drive to Pinellas rather than waste my time and money.

Not as bad as you'd think

2-4    12/22/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: arajski
This review was updated on 12/29/2011
Pros: The grounds - Since this is a ball golf course first, the grounds are very well kept. They are the best kept grounds of any course I've played. The fairways and greens are excellent for skipping and dragging the disc on approach shots.

Direction - Each hole had a personally painted portrait on a wooden sign of where to shoot next making it easy to find the hole you need to shoot at. The staff also gave you a score card with a map on the back. The course is a 9 hole course with two different baskets for the front 9 and the back 9. It was very mildly confusing.

The variety - There are holes that range 200-550'. It is a good mixture of short to long holes allowing you to play some technical holes and other holes, allowing you to air your arm out. There is a man-made pond you shoot over and a natural lake that you shoot beside that allows for fun hazards.

Landscape - My favorite part of the course is the hills. I live here in Tampa and the thing I miss most about playing up north is the hills. This course has plenty of 15' hills to shoot up and down. Several baskets are on the top of a hill, making the hole more challenging. I've had plenty of approaches that landed a foot from the basket but rolled 50' away down the hills. It is very fun.

Staff - The staff has been very friendly both times I've been there.

Facilities - The golf shop has discs for sale, new and used. The used ones are ones that they fish out of the pond on their course. They sell them for about $4. The new discs are mostly X-Outs and DX plastics. Not a great selection (do not go there just to buy discs!). They also have indoor bathrooms.
Cons: Ball Golfers - Not sure if I can really complain about this but the second time I played (on a weekend), I was playing through ball golfers all day. They were friendly but still slow and a distraction. I'm sure they think the same about us.

Pay to Play - The course is $6 plus tax to play. I only go there once in awhile because I can play for free at other courses in the area. But it is worth it once in awhile.

Baskets - The baskets are terrible. I feel like they were homemade from the 80's or something. Putters hate the chains. They are small and awkward. The only positive to them is that they force you to be more accurate.

Sprinklers - Since it is a well kept course, they have sprinklers that turn on during the day. Both times I've played this course I've had to rush on an approach shoot to keep from getting drenched.

Drinking Water - Their water probably comes straight out of the lake near the property. Don't drink it. It is terrible.
Other Thoughts: I get tired of playing the same courses over and over again here in the area. This course was a fantastic break from the norm. I rated this course a 3.5 as compared to the courses in Tampa/Plant City, not nation wide. If I had, I would have rated it a 2. I would recommended using this course as a break from the redundancy from the normal courses in the area. It was much better than I though it was going to be. My disc golf partner sitting next to me just said it best when he said, "Overall, it was a very enjoyable game."

Second Thought

1    8/26/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: owvanguard
Pros: Air conditioned bathroom.
Cons: Ease of finding next hole : 1 Even with the map provided I had difficulty finding most of the tee pads and once there you see many pins. I spent most of the time figuring out where to shoot.
Pin and tee box quality : 2 Disc golf was an afterthought. One of the tee pads had a big tree limb placed over it.
Hole info : 2 None marked and some on score card
Layout : 2 Confusing
Beginner friendly : 2 Fire Ants!!
Fun factor : 2 The $6 plus tax was the icing on this cake
Other Thoughts: Lost disc recovery : 3
Terrain management : 3
Variety : 3
Ease of finding course : 3

2-4    5/3/2010   9/4/2010
Review By: zeppelin
Pros: Lutz has more amenities than found on the other area disc golf courses, including a pro shop with clean restrooms, refreshments, and golf discs for sale or rent.
Cons: This course, located on an executive ball golf course, is laid out over a man-made terrain of hills and flats instead of natural terrain. Also, the tee pads are not well marked, and may have shifted from the locations on the maps.
Other Thoughts: I appreciate the courteous staff at Lutz and often play or practice ball golf there.

1    3/8/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: jeremytf
This review was updated on 3/8/2011
Pros: I enjoyed this course more than I thought I would. I knew it was pretty open, since it shared a ball golf course. So I thought it might be boring, but it was not at all. The course undulates much more than most courses in this area, and that made it more challenging that I expected. I often putted up or downhilll, and many times my second shots were from a slope as well, which affected my stance and throw more than I would have thought. The course is pretty well laid out, with 18 holes played from 9 tees. The course was nearly empty when I was there on a Sunday, so it was easy to take my time. The openness of the course also meant more wind, which added one more challenge. Between the wind and slopes, it plays longer than it would otherwise. The color map on the back of the scorecard is a huge help, since nothing is otherwise marked. With the map, it is easy to find your way around. The staff are very friendly and sell cold drinks.
Cons: It would be nice if the old rubber tee pads could be replaced with concrete, and the chains and baskets (home made?) leave a lot to be desired. They definitely can affect some of your putts. Most of the disc golf fairways cross or parallel the ball golf fairways, so obviously you could do some waiting around if it is a busier day.
Other Thoughts: I think this is a great course for practicing. I have no problem paying the $6... being privately owned, they obviously have to maintain everything themselves. It was nice to not have to deal with all the thick Florida plantlife that covers some of the other courses around here, but still have a decent challenge.

Nice course in N. Tampa metro.

5+    10/4/2008   10/5/2008
Review By: Marv Vega
This review was updated on 6/29/2011
Pros: A great, detailed color map with scorecard with distances on back available at clubhouse. Discs available at clubhouse, reasonably priced too. Restrooms, drinks, and candy bars/chips available at clubhouse.

Course is picturesque with a few water hazards. There are a good variety of holes, canopy comes into play on some holes while others are wide open. A few holes under 300', most between 300'- 400', and three longer than 400', hole 14 measures in at 546' and is mostly open. Two of the holes, 7&16, shoot over a pond with the baskets just past the shoreline, make sure to bring a floater. The course is nicley groomed, not much shule.

The best feature of this course though are the undulating hills present throughout, these definitely add to the beauty and the challenge of the course. Many of the baskets are located on mounds and this adds an additional challenge as well.

It's on an executive golf course and nicely utilized a smallish space by having two baskets for each tee-box, so baskets 1 &10 share the same tee box, but have different baskets. This course is challenging for the novice player and a moderately challenging course for advanced players.
Cons: Other than red or blue, which designate front 9 or back 9, the baskets aren't marked with hole numbers. The baskets also are too tight, the chains too thick, and subpar, they should be replaced. Rubber teepads are in various shapes of degradation too. Carts are not available for rent.
Other Thoughts: On a fly-18 executive golf course, the staff has always been nice when we've been there. The ball golfers have been friendly and cordial too. Last round we played along with a couple of them on the last two holes and wish we could've played a few more with them, they were fun and friendly. Kind of out of the way from other Tampa area courses, but that's part of the charm of the place.

Nice Course with Amenities

5+    9/21/2008   9/21/2008
Review By: OdessaPlayer
Pros: The pro shop gives out good color course maps with a score card on back. Pro shop sells drinks and has clean bathrooms. The staff was friendly (mid 20's hipster dude). The local golfers shared the course with no problems - they've even pointed out where the pads are if they see you looking around for the next one. Challenging holes - the changing terrain adds a new dimension to the usual super flat courses found in Florida.
Cons: There are no tournaments here.
Other Thoughts: joejoe (previous reviewer) must have caught the place on a bad day because the folks in the pro shop and on the course were very accommodating - maybe joejoe's review created personnel changes?

Varied hole types so it's hard to get bored. I was hesitant to give it a 4 because I like the fact that there's nobody on the course and I don't want a bunch of people crowding it - but I've got to keep it real.

Unfriendly

7/26/2008   7/26/2008
Review By: joejoe
Pros: Mounds and small hills that are uncommon for a Florida course. Close to my house.
Cons: Rubber pads are torn and in poor condition. Several baskets are damaged and the chains are thick and too tight. Cost $$$? They refuse to return discs recovered from a shallow pond on hole 7. They told me they use them for rentals. Overall, staff and most ball golfers are unfriendly here.
Other Thoughts: Today I was stopped by a weathered lady in a golf cart while in my car trying to pull out and leave. She asked me to roll down my window and then told me I can not putt my disc when standing on their "greens". I had flat bottomed shoes on not cleats! It felt like a police traffic stop. I will never be back. This course is not worth the money or attitude.