Stanley, WI
Uploaded By: erickmj

Summer = don't play here

1    7/21/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: Bushmaster
Pros: Some signs with directions and distance. Good variation of long and short holes. Nice mix of open and wooded holes. Some good ace chances. Has one of the longest holes I have seen at 665'. Very few people play here. Nice layout and next hole is easy to find. Elevated baskets on holes 2 and 3 are a nice touch.
Cons: Dirt tees. Knee to chest high grass on most fairways. Hardly any elevation changes. Tall unmowed grass is causing there to be a ton of mosquitos and deer flies.
Other Thoughts: We drove 64 miles one way to play this course and were very disappointed. It ended up being one of the least enjoyable rounds of disc golf ever for me (and I played in -7 deg weather this year). We played all 18 holes but really just wanted to get it over with. The actual course is not too bad, really nothing too special though. The problem was the lack of maintenance and play at this course. There were some spots in the fairway that had grass over 6 feet tall and we ended up losing one disc even though we knew right were it landed. This course hasn't been mowed once all year and the lack of play is very apparent. Some holes had little trees and grass growing up into the baskets. The tall grass is causing tons of mosquitos and deer flies even with bug spray. I would give this course a 3 if it was maintained at all and would only play again in the late fall, winter or spring but not in summer. Play this course if your passing by on HWY 29 in the spring, late fall or winter, but don't drive here just to play and stay away in summer.

More Mahr

1    11/4/2012   12/5/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, distance, and a map.
2) Boards buried in the ground act as the front of the teebox.
3) There are a few benches spread around the course which is nice because I could see some backups especially during tournament play.
4) Chainstars are some of my favorite baskets. They catch so nice and look like they are built better than the other Mach Series baskets. I wish they were more visible and the chains didn't have a tendency to get hung-up on each other.
5) Very nice mix of wooded and open holes. It feels like you are in for just another course set in a prairie, but then you get to play through some tighter wooded holes and near wetlands, etc. The variety is balanced just right if you ask me.
6) Elevated baskets on 2 of the prairie holes to add some interest and uniqueness.
7) Distance variation on this course is excellent. There are some short ace runs, some nice full distance driving holes, a even some multiple shot holes. I love it when I get to use all the discs in my enormous bag as well as differing strategies one multiple holes.
Cons: 1) There are a couple places where safety is an issue. Hole #6 and 17 run along the same section of mowed down prairie. They overlap by a few hundred feet and could lead to a real serious issue. I hope it doesn't come to that and this course is not used so much that it will be an issue. Hole #12, 13, and 14 are also overlapping where there could be a potential hazard.
2) The prairie holes get a little boring, but the rest of the course is an asset to the course. They did raise up two of the basket in the prairie to make them slightly more interesting which I can appreciate the effort at least.
3) Some of the areas on the course have some punishing rough to the sides. There is some underbrush and also a bunch of suckers on trees which create quite a tough obstacle to escape from.
4) There is some unevenness on a lot of the ground out here. I suppose it is rodents and also the fact that the course runs near a wetland. The shifting leads to cracks and eventually causes the ground to settle in spots. Watch your step or risk an ankle injury in a few places.
Other Thoughts: This is a really decent course. The design is awesome using the best features on this property. The uniqueness is high because of some things they did during the installation. The variety is really good because of the varying terrain and the varying foliage and density. There are holes that go all directions and all your shots and discs can be used on this course. I imagine that it could be swampy in season and the grass could get tall at times being in the middle of nowhere. I also imagine mosquitoes and ticks could also be an issue, fortunately for me I travel more in the fall to play disc golf courses and this one is perfect for a fall round.

Swamplands Course

2-4    5/8/2012   5/10/2012
Review By: JeremyAD
Pros: * Decent variety in types (wooded, open, LH, RH, etc.) and distance of holes
* Signs are fairly consistent and straightforward, stating direction, distance and par for each hole
* Not many others to contend with on the course. In fact both times I played here nobody else was on the course
* Has decent amount of benches and disposal cans
* In my opinion, Once past the first 3 holes, this small course possesses a decent fun-factor

Cons: * Mahr's Meadow is largely located in the middle of a swamp. If your disc ends up in the rough, not only will you have an incredibly difficult shot, you will more than likely have wet feet. Some of the tees, in fact, tend to collect water.
* The tees are dirt/mud/embedded rocks, and can be dangerous. A long piece of lumber marks the front of the tee box and could easily become a tripping hazard, esp. when a discer uses a run-up shot. Oftentimes it is better to shoot beside or behind the designated tee locations
* This course is not always well maintained. During my most recent visit, not only were the fairways not mowed, they were simply fully grown dandelion fields, esp. the first three holes.
* The first 3 holes consist of simple back and forth shots in an open field (although it does improve in the latter holes)
* A few of the holes use the same space as their respective fairways
Other Thoughts: Again, the fun-factor of this course (which is most important to me) is relatively high. This course could easily become much improved with better, more consistent tees pads. It also seems to be greatly lacking in attention and maintenance. As I was playing the course I often wondered if anybody had even played it in the last month. Overall, it is a decent and fun course for such a small community. Definitely not one of the best courses in the area (i.e. Tower Ridge in Eau Claire), but it is in a convenient location along my sales route, so I play it when traveling through the area.

Mahr's Meadow

5+    4/8/2012   4/8/2012
Review By: SleekrBeekr
Pros: 18-hole layout.
Nice mix of technically challenging holes and long holes with tight fairways.
A little bit of small elevation changes.
It's a course to play in an area that doesn't have many course within 25-35 miles.
Maps on all the holes.
Cons: The new 18-hole layout is a little cramped for the land the course is on. There are a lot of holes in the woods that are less than 250 feet as a result. The first three holes are just throwing back and forth in the same field, which can have you playing into and over the other fairways.
The tees are natural, and a lot are uneven, muddy, and/or have roots running through them. This is really an issue, as it takes a lot away from the course.
In the summer the bugs are terrible, this is largely in part to the course playing along side a marsh.
The layout gets a little tricky toward the end of the course, and there are a couple holes where back-ups could occur.
Other Thoughts: I like this course and I play it often. I like that they put in a few more holes to make it a complete 18, but the layout could be adjusted some. The tees definitely need work, a lot of them are really hard to play on. The wooded holes offer a nice challenge, but quickly get repetitive with their shortness. Overall this is a fun course and it has a decent replay value, it just needs a little work. If the tees were nicer this could easily be 3.5 rating.

Upgraded to 18 holes, fun play!

1    11/25/2011   11/25/2011
Review By: Wattenphul-2009
Pros: For one thing, it has been upgraded to a full 18 hole course and the great variety of holes gives this course a high replay score in my book. The open and wooded areas are used pretty well and the half-dozen holes that dogleg left, right or through heavy woods make for a good challenge whether you throw RHBH or RHFH (or LHBH/LHFH). I found the extremely long hole on #6 a great challenge with the distance of 650+ft. There is also a fun long hole on #17 which is well over 500ft. Other than those two the holes are more technical. There is one straight shot hole under 200ft that is almost your gimme birdie, but it is a nice change from the other holes that really test your skills. There are benches and trashcans throughout the course, which are a huge PLUS. The raised tees on #2 and #3 are a fun change. Each tee has a marker & description of the hole and it is easy to find your way from one hole to another without getting lost easily. The Mach V baskets are in great shape and each labeled with the hole number on them.
Cons: I'd say the weakest point of the course are the tees. I am a fan of concrete tees. These lumpy, slippery, grass tees with a root sticking out here & there are a slip and fall waiting to happen. The parking area is a dirt & grass patch that is hard to spot while driving down the road unless you have been to the course before. The tee signs are paper in a paper protector; descriptive, but somethings on the sign are scratched out and moved (I'm assuming because the full 18 hole upgrade is new) Another complaint could be the lack of any type of restroom. Finally, a couple of the fairways are shared and might pose a danger to players if the course gets some heavier use. I went at the end of Nov. so there was not many people, but I can imagine the summer brings more disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a very enjoyable course. The course layout poses a challenge for both right & left handed players. I believe the course was just increased to 18 holes this summer and none of the holes are bad. The grass tees take my score down from a would be 3.5 to a 3. It could be a PDGA tournament worthy course if it had rubber or cement tee pads in my opinion. Next spring, get out and enjoy this newly expanded course!

Played Half the Course

1    6/22/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: brentwood_17
Pros: Nice wood tee signs with paper that are descriptive. 1st hole is a nice mound basket position. Most holes are open fairways with room to perform your shot while offline or misexecuted shots will find the rough. Holes I played were fair. Hole 11 gives you the opportunity to go around the grove of trees or shoot the gap. Holes are open enough to get a good shot off without getting smackdown by trees in the fairway.
Cons: Grass tees, one tee area was setup with a root right in the plant foot area of the tee pad, toe boards mark tee area. Hole 4&10 share the same 75 ft wide fairway area not good.
Other Thoughts: I think their are 12 holes. When we played we played 1-5 then came to hole 6 going one direction and the other direction was "new hole 6" we played new hole 6 as we didn't see a basket on hole 6 I think there was one. New hole 6 led us to a sign that said more holes to come in fall of 2009/spring of 2010. We followed the path out and right out to the teepad we saw before which was hole 10 so I didn't play holes 6-9