Stanley, WI
Mahr's Meadow DGC Share
Uploaded By: erickmj

More Mahr

1    11/4/2012   12/5/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, distance, and a map.
2) Boards buried in the ground act as the front of the teebox.
3) There are a few benches spread around the course which is nice because I could see some backups especially during tournament play.
4) Chainstars are some of my favorite baskets. They catch so nice and look like they are built better than the other Mach Series baskets. I wish they were more visible and the chains didn't have a tendency to get hung-up on each other.
5) Very nice mix of wooded and open holes. It feels like you are in for just another course set in a prairie, but then you get to play through some tighter wooded holes and near wetlands, etc. The variety is balanced just right if you ask me.
6) Elevated baskets on 2 of the prairie holes to add some interest and uniqueness.
7) Distance variation on this course is excellent. There are some short ace runs, some nice full distance driving holes, a even some multiple shot holes. I love it when I get to use all the discs in my enormous bag as well as differing strategies one multiple holes.
Cons: 1) There are a couple places where safety is an issue. Hole #6 and 17 run along the same section of mowed down prairie. They overlap by a few hundred feet and could lead to a real serious issue. I hope it doesn't come to that and this course is not used so much that it will be an issue. Hole #12, 13, and 14 are also overlapping where there could be a potential hazard.
2) The prairie holes get a little boring, but the rest of the course is an asset to the course. They did raise up two of the basket in the prairie to make them slightly more interesting which I can appreciate the effort at least.
3) Some of the areas on the course have some punishing rough to the sides. There is some underbrush and also a bunch of suckers on trees which create quite a tough obstacle to escape from.
4) There is some unevenness on a lot of the ground out here. I suppose it is rodents and also the fact that the course runs near a wetland. The shifting leads to cracks and eventually causes the ground to settle in spots. Watch your step or risk an ankle injury in a few places.
Other Thoughts: This is a really decent course. The design is awesome using the best features on this property. The uniqueness is high because of some things they did during the installation. The variety is really good because of the varying terrain and the varying foliage and density. There are holes that go all directions and all your shots and discs can be used on this course. I imagine that it could be swampy in season and the grass could get tall at times being in the middle of nowhere. I also imagine mosquitoes and ticks could also be an issue, fortunately for me I travel more in the fall to play disc golf courses and this one is perfect for a fall round.

Upgraded to 18 holes, fun play!

1    11/25/2011   11/25/2011
Review By: Wattenphul-2009
Pros: For one thing, it has been upgraded to a full 18 hole course and the great variety of holes gives this course a high replay score in my book. The open and wooded areas are used pretty well and the half-dozen holes that dogleg left, right or through heavy woods make for a good challenge whether you throw RHBH or RHFH (or LHBH/LHFH). I found the extremely long hole on #6 a great challenge with the distance of 650+ft. There is also a fun long hole on #17 which is well over 500ft. Other than those two the holes are more technical. There is one straight shot hole under 200ft that is almost your gimme birdie, but it is a nice change from the other holes that really test your skills. There are benches and trashcans throughout the course, which are a huge PLUS. The raised tees on #2 and #3 are a fun change. Each tee has a marker & description of the hole and it is easy to find your way from one hole to another without getting lost easily. The Mach V baskets are in great shape and each labeled with the hole number on them.
Cons: I'd say the weakest point of the course are the tees. I am a fan of concrete tees. These lumpy, slippery, grass tees with a root sticking out here & there are a slip and fall waiting to happen. The parking area is a dirt & grass patch that is hard to spot while driving down the road unless you have been to the course before. The tee signs are paper in a paper protector; descriptive, but somethings on the sign are scratched out and moved (I'm assuming because the full 18 hole upgrade is new) Another complaint could be the lack of any type of restroom. Finally, a couple of the fairways are shared and might pose a danger to players if the course gets some heavier use. I went at the end of Nov. so there was not many people, but I can imagine the summer brings more disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a very enjoyable course. The course layout poses a challenge for both right & left handed players. I believe the course was just increased to 18 holes this summer and none of the holes are bad. The grass tees take my score down from a would be 3.5 to a 3. It could be a PDGA tournament worthy course if it had rubber or cement tee pads in my opinion. Next spring, get out and enjoy this newly expanded course!